Skip to content

Crowds allowed back from 2nd December

123457»

Comments

• Definitely. One huge issue with this virus was the constant talk of it not really affecting younger people. The second that was known a lot of people dismissed it as not anything to worry about.
    People still compare it with "normal" flu now.

Roll on the start of the vaccine. I know someone who works in this area and she's dipped out of a commitment this evening as they're talking about starting it on Tuesday.

• edited November 2020

@DevC said:
    Now we have a confirmed second wave but if you believe reports a vaccine will virtually end the problem within three months. With those facts I would hold off opening football grounds until March. The Government chose to open them now.

Let's all be glad the government didn't take the advice you offered on October 8th then... As a reminder:

@DevC said:
    Some may feel that those very low figures are as a result of the precautions we are taking, some may feel that human life is so precious that even those figures are too high but some may feel that there is evidence that we are panicking a little and getting the balance between safety and living and enjoying our lives accepting some risk a little too far to the safety side.
    I think I am in the latter category. Some precautions yes but we do have to live too. I'm not sure we will ever eliminate Covid. I think we have to learn to live with it.

Shows how difficult this public health protection job is, eh?

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    I'm with @drcongo on this. My daughter is a 1st year teacher, as such, works with walking petri dishes. Just waiting for her/someone at the school to test positive and that's our house in quarantine for 2 weeks. Schools are just about the worst places in my mind for the spread & should definitely be shut. Teenagers have a zero personal accountability attitude. Only got to look at them on the streets as they pour out of schools. In the end, for me it's all about personal responsibility. The virus only travels one way, from person to person. If everyone stops passing it on, then it will, coupled with an effective vaccine, die out. Local lockdowns just aren't going to work, a bit like toothpaste, you only squeeze it to somewhere else. I am still not sure that national lockdowns are the answer, unless we have a global, in unison, lockdown! If nobody moves for 28 days, surely then it will die out naturally? We all know that isn't going to happen.

That 28 day total lock in is an interesting concept.
    Would you take a one off 28 day spell imprisoned on your own property for the greater good of the country

You'd have to have every country doing it as well, or at least have exceptionally well thought out processes at every airport, port, and way into the country etc.

Unfortunately there's so many agendas at play and so many disbelievers, ranging from mild doubt on numbers (as seen on this thread) to outright talk of it being a hoax (nutters) for any even remote prospect of this happening.
    Hence the inevitability of a couple of years being messed with to some extent.

Whilst being stocked up with enough food and water (and beer) to survive 28 days in relative comfort in ‘imprisonment’ in our comfortable, European houses/flats/etc is probably achievable, not quite so sure how easy it would be for people in the slums of Mumbai, Rio and Kingston (Jamaica and -upon-Hull)

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    I'm with @drcongo on this. My daughter is a 1st year teacher, as such, works with walking petri dishes. Just waiting for her/someone at the school to test positive and that's our house in quarantine for 2 weeks. Schools are just about the worst places in my mind for the spread & should definitely be shut. Teenagers have a zero personal accountability attitude. Only got to look at them on the streets as they pour out of schools. In the end, for me it's all about personal responsibility. The virus only travels one way, from person to person. If everyone stops passing it on, then it will, coupled with an effective vaccine, die out. Local lockdowns just aren't going to work, a bit like toothpaste, you only squeeze it to somewhere else. I am still not sure that national lockdowns are the answer, unless we have a global, in unison, lockdown! If nobody moves for 28 days, surely then it will die out naturally? We all know that isn't going to happen.

That 28 day total lock in is an interesting concept.
    Would you take a one off 28 day spell imprisoned on your own property for the greater good of the country

You'd have to have every country doing it as well, or at least have exceptionally well thought out processes at every airport, port, and way into the country etc.

Unfortunately there's so many agendas at play and so many disbelievers, ranging from mild doubt on numbers (as seen on this thread) to outright talk of it being a hoax (nutters) for any even remote prospect of this happening.
    Hence the inevitability of a couple of years being messed with to some extent.

Whilst being stocked up with enough food and water (and beer) to survive 28 days in relative comfort in ‘imprisonment’ in our comfortable, European houses/flats/etc is probably achievable, not quite so sure how easy it would be for people in the slums of Mumbai, Rio and Kingston (Jamaica and -upon-Hull)

Yep - very good point.
    One of the many reasons it's a total impossibility.

• For a minute there, I thought the Gasroom had defeated Covid! It is amazing to think that 28 co-ordinated days could actually do that and equally sad that it would be completely impossible for the reasons mentioned.

• @drcongo said:
    In slightly less good news the UK had a staggering 696 covid deaths yesterday.

Let them eat cake go to football matches.

Your post suggests going to football matches correlates to people dying, whilst also comparing the current situation to revolutionary France. Very foolish.

Imho it is utterly mental that we have someone like Boris as the PM and I will never trust anyone that put a cross by his name.

But don't be silly....quite rational to host football matches with controlled crowds outside.

• Unlikely many people on here would have done, unless they live in Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

• you know what I mean you cheeky prince