Skip to content

Practice match v Bournemouth U21s

Comments

• Quite agree. And one or two on FB are expressing surprise that wee Alex scored a hat trick, presumably unaware that it was very much a men against boys scenario. But good for fitness and confidence. Was Giles Phillips captain? Very hard to tell on tiny iPhone screen.

• @YorkExile said:
    Appalling music? How bad can it b... oh.

My favourite bit of the grainy highlights is the impressive commitment to sh*thousery witnessed after the fourth goal... when 4-1 up in a B Team friendly against Bournemouth U-21s is next level stuff.

Its vital that first team tactics are understood and practised at all levels of the club ??

• Sure I saw an Instagram pic of Giles Philips with the captains armband on.

I've seen some dismissing of the opponents yesterday as 'boys' but they are a side we would have played in the JPT and we haven't rolled those sides over ever.

• @YorkExile Excellent spot! Doubtless part of the management's "Fail to prepare ..." strategy.

@chairboyscentral The LB: could it be Tom Field, who used to be at Brentford?

• @our_frank Not a clue sorry, I think this was the only photo he appeared in

• @YorkExile said:
    Appalling music? How bad can it b... oh.

My favourite bit of the grainy highlights is the impressive commitment to sh*thousery witnessed after the fourth goal. I can't quite make out who it is, possibly McCarthy, but to retrieve the ball from the net and throw it towards the corner flag when 4-1 up in a B Team friendly against Bournemouth U-21s is next level stuff.

Can't beat the season after we almost went down. We had clearly orchestrated a move where a player would go down and delay the restart by tying his laces at length deep in the opposition half.

Happened way too frequently to be coincidence.
    Not quite as bad as Westley arranging for someone to fake an injury mid half every game to allow a mini team talk.

• @Malone said:
    Can't beat the season after we almost went down. We had clearly orchestrated a move where a player would go down and delay the restart by tying his laces at length deep in the opposition half.

Happened way too frequently to be coincidence.
    Not quite as bad as Westley arranging for someone to fake an injury mid half every game to allow a mini team talk.

Pretty sure the shoe lace tying still goes on but I think the White Hart Lane game showed it in full glory.
    You could set your watch by the Westley mid half injury but didn't one of his players actually get quite badly injured in one game at Adams Park at the moment he would normally have just faked it? The manager who cried wolf couldn't believe it if I remember rightly

• Don't forget Paul Hayes' weekly leisurely stroll over to JJ at left back to hand over the captain's armband when he got substituted

• Bearing in mind the number of ‘men of faith’ in our squad, I hope the good Lord overlooks shithousery on judgement day!

• Have you read the Bible recently @arnos_grove? There is some proper, hard-core shithousery in there, so I’m sure they’ll all been fine.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @our_frank Not a clue sorry, I think this was the only photo he appeared in

Not much to go on there! I’m also puzzled by what appears to be Matt Bloomfield wearing Dom Gape’s shorts (or perhaps Dom Gape wearing Matt’s head protector).
    Is that Nmandi Ofoborh for the Cherry Pips?

If that is Tom Field, and he gets a contract, his very patchy and rather injury prone “career” (he’s only 23 and has played very few games) would make his signing a bit of a gamble. Was amused to read, under Personal Life, that he supports Brentford.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @our_frank Not a clue sorry, I think this was the only photo he appeared in

I hear he likes to play off the shoulder of the defender.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The crucial difference between the longevity of Hayes and Bayo is that the former rapidly lost his pace, whereas the latter never had any pace to lose. I see no reason why Bayo can't carry on playing for another couple of seasons if he wants to.

• @fame_46 - have to say I am amazed at your comment Parker would have as many goals as Samuel if he played the same number of games. Samuel ( if my memory serves me well) scored 1 in 21 in League 1. Hardly a glowing comparison for Parker.

• edited November 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 said:
    I don't think Hayes was ever particularly rapid but he literally lost all his physical attributes overnight.

Agreed on Bayo though, looks like he could play to 40 at the moment. Following him all social media hes in incredible shape - looks to me like he dropped a few kilos to make him more mobile those year. Also hes moved from his cardio from the cross trainer to those peloton bikes post knee op, which are far better for overall fitness.

Agreed, Bayo will still have his physical attributes to help him control the ball, hold and play passes. Hayes unfortunately stopped getting in good positions when his pace went and came deeper trying little lay offs that rarely found their target.

• Having problems with “vanilla” waterfall 5 (whatever that is) disrupting my attempts to post. Anyone know what that’s about?

• @fame_46 - I think we are just going to have to disagree on Parker. Hardly any games in League 1. Doesn't get picked when we don't have Bayo or Uche. Ainsworth tries other players out of position instead of him. Cannot see how that's success. Bayo doesn't need other players for motivation. He oozes it.

But I do agree with your comments on Bayo. So not all bad.

• Overwhelmingly agree re Bayo but with one important caveat. For the last 12 - 18 months his timing and direction of crosses has declined to the extent that he has been converting significantly fewer into goals. My hope is that, with improving match fitness and the benefit of a new right knee, this all important aspect of his game will be restored. The interesting (and very important) thing is that his timing and direction of the ball when defending seem to be unimpaired.

• edited November 2020

I'm not sure Parker was brought in as an alternative to Bayo necessarily. He's mainly played on the wing - and the two times he started up front were alongside Bayo. He's not that good in the air either - doesn't win much at all compared to Wheeler, let alone Bayo - and Samuel is probably the better hold-up player. There are just better players ahead of him.

• @micra said:
    Overwhelmingly agree re Bayo but with one important caveat. For the last 12 - 18 months his timing and direction of crosses has declined to the extent that he has been converting significantly fewer into goals. My hope is that, with improving match fitness and the benefit of a new right knee, this all important aspect of his game will be restored. The interesting (and very important) thing is that his timing and direction of the ball when defending seem to be unimpaired.

Not sure about that - last season was by far his best season for us in terms of minutes per goal (take the two penalties out and it would still have been close). Scored ten at a similar rate to Ian Henderson, who's been one of the top strikers at that level for years. The chance at Forest he really should have scored, but the decent one v Millwall and great one v Watford we can probably put down to lack of match fitness! If timing is an issue, hopefully having a pinpoint crosser from a more advanced position in McCleary will help - although I expect we'll still be looking to Kashket for the bulk of our goals.

• Hold-up play/free-kick generation are Alex Samuel’s major strengths but what’s this about him scoring two headed goals (admittedly against what looked a poor Bournemouth defence) from Gmac crosses ? Could be a clue towards team selection a week on Saturday. Completely fresh approach but with Bayo playing 20-30 minutes as Alex retires exhausted.

• @micra said:
    Hold-up play/free-kick generation are Alex Samuel’s major strengths but what’s this about him scoring two headed goals (admittedly against what looked a poor Bournemouth defence) from Gmac crosses ? Could be a clue towards team selection a week on Saturday. Completely fresh approach but with Bayo playing 20-30 minutes as Alex retires exhausted.

Kashket is at his best with Bayo, but he worked pretty well with Samuel v Millwall. I think Alex is going to have a big part to play this season, and if we want to go with as aggressive a press as we did last time v Brentford then we'll need him. Admittedly this will be an improved, sharper Brentford team, but they didn't cope too well with it in the League Cup game.

Kashket is at his best with Bayo, but he worked pretty well with Samuel v Millwall. I think Alex is going to have a big part to play this season, and if we want to go with as aggressive a press as we did last time v Brentford then we'll need him. Admittedly this will be an improved, sharper Brentford team, but they didn't cope too well with it in the League Cup game.

I hope we don't have to rely on Samuel too much this season. Hopefully the interchanging of Bayo and Uche plus Kashket upfront will do the business. We need a target man to best suit our style and maximise the excellent wingers we now have in the club.

• I would have thought off all the options to.play through the middle in the absence of bayo and ikpeazu that Parker was a more obvious option than Wheeler myself but I did not get us promoted.

• Interesting reading different views on Parker.
    I think it's a real stretch to describe his signing as a success. He's barely been near the pitch and surely won't now we've got out main man back.
    The negative comparison of Wheeler against him is interesting too. Wheeler scored 20+ goals in a season in the past. Would have to check Parker's record but k doubt he's come close to that?

Truth is we simply have much better options between Bayo and Samuel as very different target men. Uche adds even more competition there.
    Kashket provides something totally different in pace and finishing.
    So it's very unlikely he'll get in over any of those.
    And out wide he has Fred, Horgan, Wheeler and now McCleary to compete with.