Skip to content

Practice match v Bournemouth U21s

Comments

• Great news on McCarthy and Gape: even with Grimmer and Thompson in such superb form, to have players like that available can only make us stronger.

• I assume Josh Parker is on International duty?

• @mooneyman said:
    I assume Josh Parker is on International duty?

Nope

• Is he injured???

• Ofoborh starting for Bournemouth today!

• edited November 2020

No word on any injury - same for Charles, but who knows what his condition is like these days

• Taffazoli injured too?

• Perhaps one day, someone will explain to me why we signed Parker on a two year contract. Hardly played in League 1 . Seems unlikely to play in Championship. Ainsworth doesn’t make many mistakes on signings but Parker maybe one.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Taffazoli injured too?

Fingers crossed not, but that does seem odd

• @davecz said:
    Perhaps one day, someone will explain to me why we signed Parker on a two year contract. Hardly played in League 1 . Seems unlikely to play in Championship. Ainsworth doesn’t make many mistakes on signings but Parker maybe one.

Our management talk well about the type of person and checks they have to do before someone comes in but signing someone comes with no guarantee that it'll work out. I think Parker was possibly lined up before the extra money came in with the takeover and more players joined, people can also point to some of his social media posts as an indicator of attitude, but in reality form, fitness and availability of other players are big factors, when a player gets a chance they sometimes need both to take it and to hope the player they were picked ahead of him is still out for a bit.
    All players need an arm round them and a good run of games to show what they can contribute but they can't all get that in a big squad.
    He's done alright tbh when I've seen him but I'm not sure who he'd be ahead of and his previous playing record doesn't suggest he's hardly a League one player.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Taffazoli injured too?

Fingers crossed not, but that does seem odd

He was on the bench in the last two games wasn’t he? I’m sure he’s fine.

• @floyd Yeah, but surely we would have wanted to get some minutes into his legs? Hopefully only a minor thing and we're just being careful.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@davecz said:
    Perhaps one day, someone will explain to me why we signed Parker on a two year contract. Hardly played in League 1 . Seems unlikely to play in Championship. Ainsworth doesn’t make many mistakes on signings but Parker maybe one.

Our management talk well about the type of person and checks they have to do before someone comes in but signing someone comes with no guarantee that it'll work out. I think Parker was possibly lined up before the extra money came in with the takeover and more players joined, people can also point to some of his social media posts as an indicator of attitude, but in reality form, fitness and availability of other players are big factors, when a player gets a chance they sometimes need both to take it and to hope the player they were picked ahead of him is still out for a bit.
    All players need an arm round them and a good run of games to show what they can contribute but they can't all get that in a big squad.
    He's done alright tbh when I've seen him but I'm not sure who he'd be ahead of and his previous playing record doesn't suggest he's hardly a League one player.

His social media output does seem to get more bizarre by the day. Not sure if he would have been lined up before the money came along - he was one of the last signings of the window.

• Arguably Parker's finest game for us was this season against Brentford.
    Hardly had a look in since.

• Parker looked one too many at the time. But it looks really odd now.

He had a couple of appearances early season but so did Pattison and Freeman who have both naturally dropped well down the list with returns to form and fitness.

You do get players contributing more at a higher level on occasion though. Kashket is already close to his starts from last year. But he did show a lot for us previously. Morgan and Pattison didn't look like they had that much to offer in league one.

All about opinions though and i dare say some will disagree with my last sentence.

• Dean Morgan Parker.
    Whoops.

• Wonder why i started thinking about Morgan when id started that jabber calling him his actual name.
    He isn't that sort of character!

• Two up at the moment, both goals from Alex Samuel. Just what he needs.

@StrongestTeam said:

@davecz said:

His social media output does seem to get more bizarre by the day. Not sure if he would have been lined up before the money came along - he was one of the last signings of the window.

Yeah, he was signed late but he'd been on trial and was perhaps being considered for a bigger role. Only speculating. Good to have lots of options at this stage, come January we might need to make room though.

• On Pattison, I thought he looked like the Bloomfield successor, but not immediately and we don't use that role at the moment anyway.

On Pattison, I thought he looked like the Bloomfield successor, but not immediately and we don't use that role at the moment anyway.

Mehmeti and Curtis looked great creatively but suspect defensively, can't see that as a central 2 too often, Gape does huge amount filling gaps in defence, Pattison/Blooms/Freeman can't really do that, Adeniran probably can but is useful further forward.

• Knight can play defensive mid too I should have added, but he's doing a grand job at the back and seems likely to stay there for a while.

• edited November 2020

@StrongestTeam said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    On Pattison, I thought he looked like the Bloomfield successor, but not immediately and we don't use that role at the moment anyway.

Mehmeti and Curtis looked great creatively but suspect defensively, can't see that as a central 2 too often, Gape does huge amount filling gaps in defence, Pattison/Blooms/Freeman can't really do that, Adeniran probably can but is useful further forward.

Yeah, Mehmeti would flourish in a 10 role, interested to see if we tweak things to use more of him. He could be key to developing an effective style without Bayo.

• Interesting to see who the trialist left back was. Clearly need cover for JJ. Someone who is young and therefore outside the 25. See Parker was there with his phone. He might need that to find a loan club in January!!

• @davecz said:
    Interesting to see who the trialist left back was. Clearly need cover for JJ. Someone who is young and therefore outside the 25. See Parker was there with his phone. He might need that to find a loan club in January!!

Ian Baker made a good point - the trialist could be over 21 if they're training with us with a view to sign in January, which I keep thinking is ages away but isn't really!

• The goals are on ifollow now, accompanied by some appalling music.

• Appalling music? How bad can it b... oh.

My favourite bit of the grainy highlights is the impressive commitment to sh*thousery witnessed after the fourth goal. I can't quite make out who it is, possibly McCarthy, but to retrieve the ball from the net and throw it towards the corner flag when 4-1 up in a B Team friendly against Bournemouth U-21s is next level stuff.