Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• Allsop is not a problem at all, he's doing well. The near but not a penalty incident does show a slight weakness in his judgment at times but his kicking is good and his shot stopping and size are good. He's not Ben Foster but not a bad player for us at all.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I note that the old floodlight pylon next to the Big Screen has not been replaced yet. Perhaps the Trust Board Webinar tomorrow evening will shed more light on its replacement.

I assumed it was something to do with proximity to the electricity pylon behind the stand?

• @Steve_Peart I think it's out of consideration to Floodlight Fans everywhere. It might even be listed.

• Another fantastic performance last night, even better than Norwich. So unlucky not to win, but to more than hold the strongest squad in the league will do wonders for confidence (they had two SUBS today, one who played for England in 2018, and the other who was very close to the squad and a regular PL goal scorer in 2018).

Looked really solid and could easily have scored 2 or 3 goals (at least). Thompson and Adeniran were superb in the middle. Grimmer looks genuinely at home at this level, as do Stewart and Knight. Horgan is our touch of class and Wheeler is a solid player at this level (which makes him a damn good footballer). Kashket has the pace and trickery to be a very good striker in the Championship. If Fred can get the consistency in his game (as he played against Norwich) he has enough talent and drive. Bayo was brilliant yesterday (his first start for 8 months!), whether he can have that influence every week who knows yet, but it was wonderful to see.

So proud of the team and club. Keep it up boys! Play with that effort, endeavour and quality every week and we will continue to be honoured to watch you every week, win, lose or draw.

The Allsop debate is a difficult one. For me, all you can ask is that a player plays to their maximum ability. I actually think he is doing that, or near to it, so you have to really give him credit for that. But for me, he’s not close to being a good goalkeeper in this league. He cannot deal with crosses at all, he rarely makes saves you wouldn’t expect (although does make occasional great saves), and he pushes shots back into the danger area far too often. The plus sides are his kicking is excellent and just what we need, and he is playing well for his ability level, so kudos to him. But that’s just purely my football opinion, and football is obviously all about opinions. And between GA/Dobbo and me, I know whose opinion I’d trust more! What a job they are doing, simply unbelievable.

• I think that's a really fair summary

• Yep, and it's spot on about Allsop.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    I note that the old floodlight pylon next to the Big Screen has not been replaced yet. Perhaps the Trust Board Webinar tomorrow evening will shed more light on its replacement.

I assumed it was something to do with proximity to the electricity pylon behind the stand?

Yes @chairboyscentral, this was in the minutes of the Trust Board meeting on 24 September.

"Three new floodlights are in place and discussions with SSE are underway in order to erect the fourth before 17th October. Fallback plans are in place should this date not be met."

It would be interesting to hear what is causing the delay. The old lights looked fine last night.

• @our_frank said:
    @Steve_Peart I think it's out of consideration to Floodlight Fans everywhere. It might even be listed.

Perhaps it could be moved to the car park, ready to take the future Gareth statue.

• Ben Foster appreciated how good we were - this from their twitter:

• Apologies if it's already been mentioned but did anyone else hear the commentators state that our playing budget this year was £5million? That's pretty much double last season, isn't it? And yet still a pittance compared to the clubs we're up against.

On a purely footballing level, was that our best performance since Lincoln at home last year?

• Shed more light, brilliant pun if intended! It’s to do with the proximity of the electricity pylon and the need to shut off power when the new pylon is installed.

• I thought the new floodlights looked magnificent

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned but did anyone else hear the commentators state that our playing budget this year was £5million? That's pretty much double last season, isn't it? And yet still a pittance compared to the clubs we're up against.

On a purely footballing level, was that our best performance since Lincoln at home last year?

Pete Couhig in the pre-match YouTube show said Watford's budget was literally 10x ours for this season.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Not a lot to add from me that hasnt been said

We were absolutely fantastic last night, although I nearly had to leave the room last 5 minutes as was so nervous !

I also can see why the goal was not given, I didnt celebrate as soon as it went in, it just looked a foul, thought he was backing in, having said that it didnt look as bad on the replays. Game shouldve been over by then though, unfortunately caught Foster in great form and a couple of bad misses. Sorry I also agree re Allsopp, I was screaming at the TV when he came out and nearly gave that penalty away, he just looked like he bottled it, he's a really good shot stopper but leaves me feeling nervous the rest of the time.

......Cue one of longest posts of the night.

• @eric_plant said:
    I thought the new floodlights looked magnificent

Imagine how good they’ll look once the final one is in place? AP usually looks so dingy when it gets dark - it’s something that’s regularly noted by colleagues when they watch highlights shows.

• What a great display against a promotion favourite who were saved by having an ex-England Keeper between the sticks. We actually had clear cut chances! (Immense performance from the big man!) We've matched two fancied teams and been unlucky with some of our results but we are improving game by game. Hopefully now we can kick on. There are still some silly mistakes on the pitch and possibly even shortcomings in the squad, but very proud of the unit last night. Bayo, JJ, Thompson and Wheeler seem to be enjoying 'being found out' at this level?

• @JohnBoy said:

@eric_plant said:
    I think the point with Allsopp is though is that that must be the easiest position to strengthen using the loan market. We've done it many times before.

As for the claim that he's a "great shot stopper"? Is he? I just don't see it. I don't ever see him make saves you wouldn't expect any keeper to make.

I recommend watching this whole video, it's a decent match. But if you want proof Allsop can make saves you wouldn't expect him to make, watch from 6.30.

I thought his narrowing of the angle when Murray went through at the end was absolutely 1st class. Gave him nothing to aim at.

• @Vital said:
    Yep, and it's spot on about Allsop.

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned but did anyone else hear the commentators state that our playing budget this year was £5million? That's pretty much double last season, isn't it? And yet still a pittance compared to the clubs we're up against.

Basically, our wage budget is Troy Deeney's yearly salary.

• TBH, when Murray got through, it was an instant cure for any constipation issues that anyone might have been suffering from!

• @Steve_Peart Excellent idea. He can go between the Martin O'Neill one and the Lawrie Sanchez one.

• @JohnBoy watching those highlights still gives me goosebumps. I think I can forgive the players anything this season such was the magnitude of their achievement last season.

In addition to the Allsop save, I still can't believe the touch from Stewart to deny the tap in at 5:00 minutes in.

Incredible.

• @Twizz said:
    @JohnBoy watching those highlights still gives me goosebumps. I think I can forgive the players anything this season such was the magnitude of their achievement last season.

In addition to the Allsop save, I still can't believe the touch from Stewart to deny the tap in at 5:00 minutes in.

Incredible.

I still can’t believe that guy didn’t shoot. Of all Oxford’s famous short passes that was the best.

• Whether we get relegated or not, one of the main things about this season is the making of memories, and every game like last night's ensures we have something that will live long in the memory.

Roll on Sheffield Wednesday!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    TBH, when Murray got through, it was an instant cure for any constipation issues that anyone might have been suffering from!

To lose then, after such a great display would have utterly killed even the most relentlessly positive person.

• @micra said:
    Is there even the slightest possibility that Samuel was offside? When the ball is crossed or passed forward there have to be two opposition players between the receiving player and the goal line. Normally it is the goalkeeper and one outfield player of course but is it even remotely feasible that only Ben Fister was between Samuel and the goal line?

I was talking to my son-in-law this afternoon and mentioned that I’d predicted a draw (see Charity thread). I said I’d be delighted with a point unless we’d dominated the game and deserved all three. What can I say? But that was a really heartwarming performance and every man jack of them deserves the highest praise.

Sorry @trevor did you say something?

You can not be offside from a corner.

• Sheff Wed have lost two of their starting back three for Saturday and are 3-0 down to Rotherham at HT in a game held up by a drone...

• Looks like they have seven defenders out in total

• I'm now less optimistic than I was.

• Didn’t think there was much between us and Rotherham when we played them. They now have 9 points surely gives us hope that we have a chance of survival.

• Great performance last night...the best this season? Against basically a premier league team...

I see why Scotty’s goal is chalked off...protection of the keeper has become the rule though I don’t think it was a foul.

Rocky is playing well this season and has stepped up a gear...his distribution is excellent and he helps our attacks no end from set pieces and from open play with the ball in his hands.

Didn’t know that was Bayo’s first start in eight months...wow!