Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

15678911»

Comments

• @drcongo One of Blackburn's as he parried it straight back out, but that's it

• Stockdale surely counts as strengthening the keeper department.

He surely wasn't brought in just for matey banter in the background?

He had a couple of shocking performances but we put that down to being really unfit.

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe I’ve missed something, but has Allsop been at fault for any goal we’ve conceded this season?

I was going to post exactly this question. On the contrary, he has made a series of good saves and his kicking has been excellent.

• I'd say Allsop has been one of our most improved players over the past few months.

Keepers are the easiest players to criticise because mistakes are so costly. What would have been the goalkeeping equivalent of Bayo's miss against Watford?

• Like all keepers, Rocky has had moments in the past that he would rather forget, but I believe he has stepped up to the plate this season and has never played better for us.

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe I’ve missed something, but has Allsop been at fault for any goal we’ve conceded this season

Pretty sure theres been at least one where he's made a save and palmed it back into danger, Vs Blackburn I think.

He's definitely done that a couple of times and got away with it.

He's been good generally though, but still doesn't fill me with confidence..

• Wasn’t he MoM at Blackburn? Iirc he stopped it being a cricket score.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Wasn’t he MoM at Blackburn? Iirc he stopped it being a cricket score.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was a perfect performance, we were completely overrun outfield

• He’s having a good season for us

• I said this earlier in the thread @drcongo most of the goals he has had no chance.

• I might be wrong but wasn't that one at Blackburn from a deflected shot? If so it makes it a significantly more difficult shot to deal with.

• On reflection, Curtis Thompson's performance against Wednesday was one of the finest performances in the Quarters I have seen. All the more remarkable that it was at tier 2 level.

It reminded me of Martin Blackler's heroic performance in the FA Cup at Posh in 90-91. I will file it along with other favourites, like Tim Langford at Fulham in the Auto Windscreens, Tony Price's hat-trick against Harrow, Westy's four against leaders Kettering. I know I should be remembering many other greats. Any suggestions?

• @Steve_Peart said:
    On reflection, Curtis Thompson's performance against Wednesday was one of the finest performances in the Quarters I have seen. All the more remarkable that it was at tier 2 level.

It reminded me of Martin Blackler's heroic performance in the FA Cup at Posh in 90-91. I will file it along with other favourites, like Tim Langford at Fulham in the Auto Windscreens, Tony Price's hat-trick against Harrow, Westy's four against leaders Kettering. I know I should be remembering many other greats. Any suggestions?

Stewart at Wembley.

• Oops, wrong thread!

• @Steve_Peart said:
    On reflection, Curtis Thompson's performance against Wednesday was one of the finest performances in the Quarters I have seen. All the more remarkable that it was at tier 2 level.

I love this topic:

Tony Hemmings v Crewe (h) 1993
    Martin Taylor v Millwall (a) 2000
    Miquel De Souza v Bradford (a) 1995
    Scott Brown v Luton (a) 2018
    Kevin Betsy v Bury (a) 2011

• Completely agree with Stewart at Wembley by the way. In the conversation about the very best individual performance

• One of the Steven Taylor performances deserves to be in the running... was it against Bournemouth?

Stewart in the playoff final is probably the winner for me given the occasion.

Was Alfie Mawson against Luton another one, or am I just thinking of the goal?

• John Maskell v Middlesbrough (A)
    Aaron Pierre v Villa

(And I’ll second the Tony Hemings one)

• You guys are incredible with your encyclopaedic memories. Perhaps I used to have some. I forget.

• Kadeem Harris v (I think) Plymouth at home on a Tuesday night. Got their right back subbed off after about 20 mins.

• Gary Lester at Witney in the fa cup, 81.

• Can never remember dates and times but have memories of Martin Taylor single-handedly earning us a point at Luton once with a string of unbelievable saves. Think it was 0-0.