Skip to content

Shake-up of English football pyramid being proposed

13»

Comments

• @Shev said:
    @Malone I think I read somewhere else it would not replace the PL, but in that case, I am guessing the clubs would have monstrous squads, with one for the EPL and one for the regular old PL.

Unless this supposed super league only has one off games and not home aways then itd go against the almost permanent bid to reduce games we've seen for years.

Even 12 teams playing once would be 11 games minimum which you'd normally only have a few teams playing in a normal season.

Imagine home and aways..22 games on top of the domestic. Madness.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    @Malone I think I read somewhere else it would not replace the PL, but in that case, I am guessing the clubs would have monstrous squads, with one for the EPL and one for the regular old PL.

Unless this supposed super league only has one off games and not home aways then itd go against the almost permanent bid to reduce games we've seen for years.

Even 12 teams playing once would be 11 games minimum which you'd normally only have a few teams playing in a normal season.

Imagine home and aways..22 games on top of the domestic. Madness.

Reducing games for player welfare has always been a red herring. The aim has only ever been to have more "special" £££ games, be they pre-season or mid season in Dubai or the US, or Champions League nights. If they reduce the Prem by a few teams then while 4 or 5 clubs play the big games the rest of the league will have to talk up the cups the big boys don't want to play in. The teams at the very top know they have marketable brand power and couldn't give a toss about the pyramid.

• I agree @Malone and @StrongestTeam - here is the section I found from an updated SkySports article:

"Sources said the result of the new format, if it gets off the ground, would be to give England's wealthiest clubs greater leverage in future negotiations with the Premier League and with broadcasters and sponsors.

They added that the possibility of outright club defections from domestic leagues was not on the new tournament's "short-term agenda".

Nevertheless, a decision to join the new European tournament will leave its participants exposed to the suggestion that they were enriching themselves at the expense of domestic rivals, exacerbating the already-vast financial gulf between teams at the top and bottom of the Premier League."

• The Prem could very easily (from members or reserves) unconditionally offer £40-£50m as loans to help clubs survive the next year or so. It would shut a lot of people up, buy some good will and get them in a good position to negotiate the ongoing relationship.
    There's not a chance they'll do it.

• Will Peterborough be included in this European Premier League, as obviously they have earned their place? Asking for a friend...

• Latest news on this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55131356

Where are Allied Dunbar when you need them....

Can you believe that was 25 years ago.

• Memory lane.....brilliant!