Skip to content

Championship Manager Sackings

Comments

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Also they can't try and tempt GA to move to them with the promise (?) of Championship football potential.???

They could tempt Gareth with the financial resources to buy "class" strikers like £4m Will Grigg!!

• Paul Cook and Daniel Stendel were linked last autumn. They go through this at least annually, of course. I think both are available now, whereas Ainsworth clearly isn't.

• I'm gonna have a flutter on Joey Barton.

• That's one good thing about the relegation struggle - despite GA deserving Manager of the Season if we stay up, the perceived lack of success means he won't be on as many radars during this season.

• Not that I see him leaving anyway!

• Good shout on Barton...

• He hasn't been sacked (yet) but I thought this was a good piece on Paul Lambert's reign at Ipswich. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/01/paul-lambert-battles-for-ipswich-future-at-a-ghost-club-in-rapid-decline

Absolutely amazed at the idea of him buying beers for supporters, but there you go. Looks like this consisted of him putting up some bar tab - which is still a generous measure and something he didn't have to do, so fair play - rather than him buying a few rounds and hanging out with the supporters, which I really couldn't imagine.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2019/december/lambert-buys-christmas-drink-for-fans/

• Isn't he on a mad 5 year deal or something?
    Oddly offered when they were already on a meltdown last season.

• I feel Lambert has a history of underachieving in the League with a very good squad or large club for the league. He is also very stubborn and seems to take any criticism personally and put up the barricades.

I remember when at a fans forum he was asked about a lack of width and wingers in our squad he got quite irate. He then refused to play wingers for the rest of the season and generally selected 4 centre mids in a diamond, culminating in our play-off loss to Stockport. A significant amount of that squad went onto higher leagues.

Onto Colchester where they then played with wingers for most of his season in culminating in the 7-1 victory at Norwich, finishing 12th the season after relegation from the Championship. His high numbers at Norwich slightly masked by their one season stay in League One where he did actually deliver.

Ipswich have shot themselves in the foot by offering a serial underachiever (in the league) a 5 year deal.

On the plus side the Cup run was majestic!

• Superb in the cup. Utterly dour a lot of the time in the league.
    That 4 centre midfielders approach most weeks mixed with inevitable comments about a "toff" game bring back some mixed memories.

That goal changed nothing being one of the all time top Wycombe manager quotes though.

Smith thinking he was despised because he was a "flash London bloke" probably the most bizarre. Along with lying about being told by someone "closely" involved in the running of the team that we'd be certs for relegation that season (after finishing 6th!) unless he put together his masterplan of wasting 100s of thousands of wad.

• edited December 2020

Just think, if the Premier League hadn't downsized in 1995, Palace wouldn't have gone down and Wycombe would have made the League One play-offs. Smith doesn't get sacked and O'Neill doesn't quit (consensus seems to be that we'd have gone up that season?). Then maybe we stay in the Championship and never end up with Paul 'I won the Champions League, you know?'* Lambert. Sliding doors and all that...

*This is getting on the nerves of Ipswich fans at the moment

• @Malone said:
    Superb in the cup. Utterly dour a lot of the time in the league.
    That 4 centre midfielders approach most weeks mixed with inevitable comments about a "toff" game bring back some mixed memories.

That goal changed nothing being one of the all time top Wycombe manager quotes though.

Smith thinking he was despised because he was a "flash London bloke" probably the most bizarre. Along with lying about being told by someone "closely" involved in the running of the team that we'd be certs for relegation that season (after finishing 6th!) unless he put together his masterplan of wasting 100s of thousands of wad.

He meant it wouldn't change the way we approached the second leg

Why so many people willfully fail to understand this has always been beyond me

• 'Smith thinking he was despised because he was a "flash London bloke" probably the most bizarre'.

I remember that when he said it, and I thought, 'Yeah we don't trust anyone not born more than a mile from the Chair Museum, just like that Irish guy who was here'

Smith just seemed to hold grudges (Garner, Howard, Hyde, etc.).

• @TwinBrother said:
    'Smith thinking he was despised because he was a "flash London bloke" probably the most bizarre'.

I remember that when he said it, and I thought, 'Yeah we don't trust anyone not born more than a mile from the Chair Museum, just like that Irish guy who was here'

He wasn't anyone's idea of some flash geezer. In that end of season video, he looked like he'd been raked in from the nearest bush after an absolute bender. Unshaven, dishevelled. Yeah we wish we were as flash mate!

• @Malone said:

@TwinBrother said:
    'Smith thinking he was despised because he was a "flash London bloke" probably the most bizarre'.

He wasn't anyone's idea of some flash geezer. In that end of season video, he looked like he'd been raked in from the nearest bush after an absolute bender. Unshaven, dishevelled. Yeah we wish we were as flash mate!

A look my wife often accuses me of having and I don't need to have been on a bender to achieve it either!

• Lee Johnson set to take over at Sunderland under a new sprouting director - Kristjaan Speakman, who did a hell of a job at Birmingham. They might actually go up at last ?

• One day a manager at Sunderland will get a major career boost there. It is one of the few clubs a lower league manager could ride all the way to the Premier - a la Chris wilder.
    Trouble is if offered the job there, there is a pretty good chance it will kill your future instead.

• I want to be a sprouting director when I grow up.

• @drcongo said:
    I want to be a sprouting director when I grow up.

Hard work leading up to Christmas though!

• @mooneyman said:

@drcongo said:
    I want to be a sprouting director when I grow up.

Hard work leading up to Christmas though!

It's a cracker.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not championship but just watched focus interview with Harry Kewell now at Oldham. He keeps getting jobs but has he actually been successful anywhere as a manager?

I don't have anything against Harry Kewell, but his record's not improving, it seems - hard times at Barnet (very much not in the Championship, but I thought the Kewell reference was relevant).

I like them as a club - their fans always seem down to earth, and there's been plenty of links between us over the years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58625601

• Dean Brennan is Barnets 6th (sixth) manager in 2021.

• Nigel Adkins is also one of those underwhelming fellas tbat seems to always get a job.

• Nigel Adkins was pretty successful at Scunthorpe and Southampton to be fair

• Yup and I suppose Charlton are one of the ex-well run ex-premier league outfits that have turned into a bit of a basket case. I'll let him off.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Dean Brennan is Barnets 6th (sixth) manager in 2021.

Roughly one every six weeks. Remarkable.

• Could this be a candidate for the title of most misleading thread headline ever?

• @micra Didn’t have you down as a big ChampMan fan ?

• Sorry @Chris but you’ve lost me there. Easily done, of course.

BTW, great day Saturday. And somebody told me recently that the greatest all-rounder in the country was colour blind for pink or something and that was why he didn’t play in the shortest form of the County game.

There, my own little contribution to the general irrelevancy.