Skip to content

Third kit

Comments

• edited September 2020

@Tom said:
    Well it seems like I started a bit of debate – which isnt a bad thing I suppose. To clarify my original point, I find it grating that Pete and Co, who’s interest in the club spans just 1 year is ‘front and centre’ of celebrations as well as club media. Perhaps it’s just me, but the kit ‘reveal’ was again about him being ‘front and centre’ of things (knowing that Sky would, at some point, cut to him in the stands). Like everyone, I am frustrated at not being able to attend games, and perhaps its jealously coming through – but one of the only people to witness some of our greatest games is a bloke that joined the club a year ago as a result of his rich uncle gets to watch them. That doesn’t seem particularly ‘fair’ (for want of a better word) to me, and I think he could tone things down a bit and appear less fame hungry. Its not about him.
    I don’t doubt the benefits they have brought to the club, but the idea they are beyond reproach is silly. I am sure once again my argument will get picked apart, and perhaps its could have been worded better, or written in a more eloquent way - but it is what it is.
    I have come in for quite a bit of criticism here for this, and even got a mention on the @chairboyscentral tweet (fame at long last!), however I hope most people can have a reasonable debate about things. If everyone had the same opinion, it would be very boring.
    And no – I am not the drummer

There's always questions about people buying in to clubs vs fan/community ownership but that has surely been done to death here, fair enough if you find him a bit showy, I personally thought the "launch" was a bit odd bordering on unprofessional but merely describing him as the guy who joined because of his rich uncle (although in fair part true) is dismissive of the work he's put in and his past record. As others have said it's not as if Beeks, H*yes, or Howard were camera shy and we are a small club always looking for an angle be it Characters or Loud kits.

• Are you saying then @Tom that you should have been given priority at Wembley as a long standing supporter, over an individual who has deserted his family for a year and worked his bollox off for that period to get our club in a financially stable position competing in the Championship?

• I wonder if maybe it's simply a bit of a culture clash - exuberant American vs taciturn Englishmen thing?

• @micra So sorry: mistaken identity. It was @chairboyscentral who said it was "disrespectful. Apologies to you.

• Yep. Tom's description of PC is akin to him being the spoilt child in the film Richie Rich!

An incredible take on things that totally undermines the facts that's he's actually working hard for us and as others have stated, is on a different continent to our family.

I'm uncomfortable with the notion of fans going to games making them out to be some kind of amazing specimens any way.

It's your hobby! You do it for pleasure.
    Go to the ground and do 8hour voluntary work shifts day in day out and perhaps you have more of a case.

• *his family above, not our!

• Awful thread, this.

© 2014 @eric_plant

• The Couhigs have got a long way to go before they're shown the same level of (cult-like?) deference given to Ivor Beeks for nearly twenty years.

• This "deserted his family to save our club" narrative is a bit weird.

• He's a business man doing his job as FD of the club, as the senior director here in the UK it would be strange if he didnt attend matches.

Sensibly for the play-off final the club gave the other 9 tickets to Trust directors etc to reward them for what they had done for the club, at Brentford he took the directors of one of our sponsors, which again isn't unusual. I am unsure as to the fuss and suspect if we had all been able to go to the last 2 competitive games no one would be making a song and dance.

I do think the actually unveiling of the 3rd kit lacked the sort of class I had come to expect from the clubs media and commercial departments

• @YorkExile said:
    This "deserted his family to save our club" narrative is a bit weird.

'Chose to stay and help the club rather than go home and be with his family.' Is that better?

• You do what you need to do to get to games.

Write a weekly article for the BFP, anything really

• @YorkExile said:
    This "deserted his family to save our club" narrative is a bit weird.

To be honest, I'm finding this 'being in the Championship' narrative a bit weird.

• Remember, one of the hardest working volunteers at the club got a ticket to Accy away and people moaned about that too.

What was that Oily Sailor quote about Wycombe fans?

• @arnos_grove said:
    Remember, one of the hardest working volunteers at the club got a ticket to Accy away and people moaned about that too.

What was that Oily Sailor quote about Wycombe fans?

To be fair I think that was only two people...one of whom historically always had trouble actually supporting the team he supports.

• One person moaned about that and everyone else made very clear their disagreement

• We are collectively brilliant on here at making mountains out of molehills.

@Tom makes personal observation that he accepts is likely to be a minority opinion. Gasroom majority add support to his (or her) view being an outlier.

Out of this we end up either worshipping at the altar of our overseas saviours or sharpening the spikes ready to drive them out as they bleed us dry. Love it.

(And I personally find the method of launching the third kit quite amusing. Although equally I personally couldn’t give a flying fig about It, excellent design as it is)

• @eric_plant said:
    One person moaned about that and everyone else made very clear their disagreement

Fair point. I think I’m mixing the Gasroom up with that Facebook page on this occasion.

• Thankfully I have never visited that place

• "What is that shadowy place?"

"That is the the Wycombe fans Facebook page. You must never go there."

• @bookertease said:

Out of this we end up either worshipping at the altar of our overseas saviours or sharpening the spikes ready to drive them out as they bleed us dry. Love it.

Or tugging our forelocks in a jaunty manner

• "Unveiling of the third kit"

What is it with these mythical levels of importance, generating such angst? The clue is in the word "third". @bookertease nailed it with his final, parenthesised, sentence.

• True @LeedsBlue - and when we are in the Premier League, we will be contractually obliged to have an awful third kit anyway (Manchester United, I am looking at you).

• Back to the title of this thread.
    If I were to have organised a viral launch of this kit how about (at v little cost) hiring a personal trainer from Cambridgeshire to join the recent team photo shot to model the red n white quarters?
    ‘The Roy Essandoh Range‘.
    But then what do I know about marketing?

• My worry is with 2 change kits now,the temptation will be there to use them even when there is no real colour clash. Having said that I have always liked the red and white quarters.

• well yeah, plus the fact of having an alternative sponsor on the third kit who'll presumably want to get their money's worth in terms of how many times the third kit is worn.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many times that there'd be a genuine clash that would force us to wear the third kit unless we were still playing the likes of Torquay United or the PNLs.

• Talking of kits, anyone know if there’s any link between Wycombe Wanderers and St Neots Town (apart from the fact Dennis Greene was manager there for a while)? They seem to play in the same quarters.

• @username123 said:
    Anybody else got a sneaky feeling it will be red and white quarters with the same design as the new home kit?

Wow this discussion escalated! I guess that following the comment I put on here maybe I should have modelled the kit! The lottery numbers this week if anyone wants to know will be 6, 14, 15, 30,33 and 40. Bonus ball 7. My final prediction is our home kit in 2025 will have yellow numbers and letters in a nod to the 1975 cup run 50yr anniversary and the away kit will be all red like Middlesbrough.

• They even seem to have got the right light blue, possibly due to their proximity to Cambridge.