Skip to content

Close Quarters - Neil Harman

124»

Comments

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Re Adam El-A. Fascinating how delusional players can be about their value, role, position etc. I guess a self protection mechanism in a short and vulnerable career. When an ageing players’ ‘legs go’ it can happen in an incredibly short time, and Adams had gone, probably between being offered a new contract and subsequent refused one (or so he claims). He had the turning circle of a tanker and no pace to compensate towards the end, the fact that he subsequently got nowhere near a struggling lower league side suggests he had been found out. I wish him well in coaching and whatever else he turns to. Another hard but fair decision by Gaffer and I’m sure there will be more where that came from.

Steady there! I got a lot of dissenters when I suggested that dropping from a league 1 captain to coaching at tier 7 or 8 in just over 1 season was a drop!
    And I didn't get as personal as what you say above.

• Any believe the money we got for o’nine

• Can’t believe the money we got for o’nine.

• @Malone said:
    Steady there! I got a lot of dissenters when I suggested that dropping from a league 1 captain to coaching at tier 7 or 8 in just over 1 season was a drop!

My issue with your comments were nothing to do with getting personal about El Abd, but about the haughty looking down on Whitehawk, an excellent club with a fantastic set of fans who happen to be non-league. Like we used to be.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

My issue with your comments were. nothing to do with getting personal about El Abd, but about the haughty looking down on Whitehawk, an excellent club with a fantastic set of fans who happen to be non-league. Like we used to be.

That's fair. Probably overdid the stressing of the drop in playing standard.
    Like someone else said they were legendary enough to get into the Wealdo raider's infamous video!

• Got my copy yesterday and already 140 pages in. Like others I'm impressed by the storytelling and detail and it's definitely a must-read for any Wycombe fan. But equally there are a fair few factual and grammatical niggles: aside from the aforementioned 'back into the league' error, Neil mentions Bayo 'came off the bench' to score against Fleetwood (he didn't, he started and was subbed shortly after scoring); that Sido made his 'league debut for the season'... in an FA Cup tie and that Bjorn Again are an ABBA 'reincarnation' (they're a tribute act).

Maybe I'm just a nerd and should let it all pass (along with the fast and loose approach to comma usage), and maybe the need to get the book out quickly meant the editing was a tad rushed. Doesn't, ultimately, detract from what's so far a fun read - particularly, rather than in spite of, knowing how it all ends.

• And a great insight into the mindset of some of the players, which was brave of them to risk I think. (Though I assume they were allowed to ask him not to put stuff in if they wanted.)

• Just got to page 85, Gassroom nome de plume and extensive quote. I’m part of the fairytale, something to show the grandchildren ?

• What was the quote @perfidious_albion ?

• @drcongo said:
    What was the quote @perfidious_albion ?

It’s 20 lines long, I bang on about not wanting to cross Clan Couhig and being pragmatic about signing up to their way of doing things.
    More importantly Harman says
    ‘The Wycombe fans’ forum Gasroom2 was a popular venue for discourse, though much of the debate was carried out in a fog of anonymity. It could be witty but it could be pernicious too.’

• Ha. I'm going to have to buy a copy for my grandkids now too then.

• would fan forums operate WITHOUT a fog of anonymity?

• Ordered from hive.co.uk because tax

• @Wendoverman said:
    would fan forums operate WITHOUT a fog of anonymity?

I was on an englandfans FA one occasionally a while back when I was in the travel club for England games, all in your own full name I seem to remember and log in via membership details so the FA could revoke your membership, didn't stop a load of numpties posting all sorts, anyone who had a banning order was clearly always innocent for example.

• @Wendoverman said:

Apart from 1 or 2 occasional exceptions, this site is fairly well behaved.
    Maybe because 90% of us are now of a borderline or very much over the line distinguished age.

People only need to look at twitter, or youtube videos of maniacs posting all sorts of horrific stuff, often under their own name.

• I am trying to decide between the new usernames Anonymity_Fog or Perniciously_Witty. Tough call.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wendoverman said:

I was on an englandfans FA one occasionally a while back when I was in the travel club for England games, all in your own full name I seem to remember and log in via membership details so the FA could revoke your membership, didn't stop a load of numpties posting all sorts, anyone who had a banning order was clearly always innocent for example.

Probably just punching the air near a steward.

• Finished it in about 3 sessions - couldn't put it down and equally disappointed when I'd finished wanted more. 2 signs of a good book for me.

• Thank You Neil Harman. Thoroughly enjoyable read.

• I suppose I’m lucky then that I only read about 20 pages an hour (on a good day).

To my surprise I found mrs micra reading the book soon after it arrived on Tuesday and it looked as if she was over halfway through it. Wrong. She’d latched on to the fact that there was a chapter about Scott Kashket and, having heard comments about his already fairly well chronicled experiences as a professional footballer, she wanted to get a better understanding.

I’ve dipped into the book fairly randomly but I need to find a spot with decent back support and one of those virtual daylight LED lights nearby if I’m going to make real progress.

But my main reason for posting was to say that @perfidious_albion’s post of 26 August sent me straight to page 85. I remembered and admired his/her post at the time and I wondered if he/she felt, as I did, that it seemed even more impressive in print.

• @micra said:
    I suppose I’m lucky then that I only read about 20 pages an hour (on a good day).

To my surprise I found mrs micra reading the book soon after it arrived on Tuesday and it looked as if she was over halfway through it. Wrong. She’d latched on to the fact that there was a chapter about Scott Kashket and, having heard comments about his already fairly well chronicled experiences as a professional footballer, she wanted to get a better understanding.

I’ve dipped into the book fairly randomly but I need to find a spot with decent back support and one of those virtual daylight LED lights nearby if I’m going to make real progress.

But my main reason for posting was to say that @perfidious_albion’s post of 26 August sent me straight to page 85. I remembered and admired his/her post at the time and I wondered if he/she felt, as I did, that it seemed even more impressive in print.

Flattery will get you everywhere. I feel guilty now Micra. I’ve just slagged you off in another thread re your lack of awareness of our goalkeeper coach Andy F. Sorry about that.
    The fact that the Gassroom gets noticed inside the club is something of a revelation, and somewhat worrying given Pete, Matt, Phil C. etc actually know who I am hiding behind my ‘nome de plume’. Time to shut up me thinks!

@micra said:
    I suppose I’m lucky then that I only read about 20 pages an hour (on a good day).

Flattery will get you everywhere. I feel guilty now Micra. I’ve just slagged you off in another thread re your lack of awareness of our goalkeeper coach Andy F. Sorry about that.
    The fact that the Gassroom gets noticed inside the club is something of a revelation, and somewhat worrying given Pete, Matt, Phil C. etc actually know who I am hiding behind my ‘nome de plume’. Time to shut up me thinks!

Beware the double post on here and fb ?

That gave you away

• @Malone said

That gave you away

But I haven’t posted on Facebook!

@Malone said

That gave you away

But I haven’t posted on Facebook!

Ever?

• You may know me @perfidious_albion but, if so, you have the advantage! I’ve just penned my weak excuse on that other thread for my ignorance.

• @micra said:
    You may know me @perfidious_albion but, if so, you have the advantage! I’ve just penned my weak excuse on that other thread for my ignorance.

No I don’t know you Micra, and I don’t believe Malone knows me either.

• edited August 2020

@perfidious_albion said:

@micra said:
    You may know me @perfidious_albion but, if so, you have the advantage! I’ve just penned my weak excuse on that other thread for my ignorance.

No I don’t know you Micra, and I don’t believe Malone knows me either.

Only by name.
    A while back, when you posted the exact same thing on here, that you did on fb within a few mins :) Someone here, or yourself even referenced the "error" in a light hearted way.

No harm done though - it wasn't exactly controversial!