Skip to content

Close Quarters - Neil Harman

Comments

• The only real clanger mentioned above @EwanHoosaami is the reference to Martin O’Neill getting us back into the Football League.

• That really is a schoolboy error".....I mean he could've just asked someone.
    ".....or did he mean that Sir Martin got back into the league and not Wycombe...?
    (Punctuation taken from the book ?

• It's a shame that it appears so soon into it

Makes a poor first impression

• Something for him to fix in the second edition........and thus skyrocketing the price for those error filled first editions!

• @micra said:
    The only real clanger mentioned above @EwanHoosaami is the reference to Martin O’Neill getting us back into the Football League.

or (more seriously) Hazlemere misspelt as Hazelmere ??

• Yeah, it all feels a bit rushed. Which is a shame

• Typo's aside it's a joy, got about half way through, few bits mentioned you might not already know, good in depth chats with players and staff. Lots of mention obviously about finances and the work and ethos of the management.
    My only issue is that 100 pages or so in and you get so proud of it all you'd be forgiven for getting a few quid on us to win the Champions League.

• The grammar police are out in force on this thread. Well done all

• Expecting a book you've bought to be accurately researched and proof read = "grammar police"

What an idiotic take on the world

• @eric_plant said:
    Expecting a book you've bought to be accurately researched and proof read = "grammar police"

That's one take, another is that in an entire thread on a great book that took a year to write and gives us access we've never had to our finest ever season the most some people can do is whine about a simple mistake that most wanderers fans might spot (I missed it) but professional proof readers wouldn't and a typo that may not even be a typo but a style choice. Almost nothing about the style of writing or anything else.

I'm glad people have stayed away from posting spoilers at least.

• @AlanCecil said:
    or (more seriously) Hazlemere misspelt as Hazelmere ??

Wasn’t one on the signs for Hazlemere spelt incorrectly years ago? Think it was the one by the Beech Tree pub?.

• Could've been worse - could've gone with Haslemere, in which case we'd be reading a book about Crawley Town's rise from non-league.

• Loving it so far - such a fascinating insight into the invisible parts of the club. I'm only at the end of the Darius Charles chapter but it's further evidence - not that it was needed - of just how crucial a role Dobbo has played in everything we've achieved.

One slight spoiler (so stop here if you haven't got that far) I was a bit disappointed not to hear more about the reasons behind El-Abd's departure. Especially given how content he seems in the places where he is mentioned. It seems like it'll remain one of the great unanswered mysteries from last season.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@eric_plant said:
    Expecting a book you've bought to be accurately researched and proof read = "grammar police"

That's one take, another is that in an entire thread on a great book that took a year to write and gives us access we've never had to our finest ever season the most some people can do is whine about a simple mistake that most wanderers fans might spot (I missed it) but professional proof readers wouldn't and a typo that may not even be a typo but a style choice. Almost nothing about the style of writing or anything else.

I'm glad people have stayed away from posting spoilers at least.

Some of the comments on spellz etc were clearly light hearted but others you can imagine fuming in their little rocking chair

• There’s clearly a different grammatical standard to be applied between internet forum musings and a published book.

I was a proofreader in a former life, so these things tend to jump out at me, and through a twist of fate last night I was reading it in one of my former school’s classrooms so was also reminded of the days when it was important to know and apply the rules of language to avoid a wrap on the knuckles or a flying board rubber.

Sorry if it’s upset anyone!

• I think it only upset @Right_in_the_Middle. Like most things.

• I quite enjoy the light hearted grammar checks, my standards are no way near that high. The O'Neill error is a bit glaring but I can live with it and it makes me feel smug to pick something like that out anyway. I can accept some errors and I'm pleased to have such a well written book so soon after the season ends, especially in these strange times.

I presume that from a commercial side, the quicker the book was released the more it can potentially make. How much interest do you think this book will have for non Wycombe people?

• Looking to order a copy of the book, I stumbled upon a recent podcast interview with Neil Harman talking to a tennis bloggers (Dan somone). Neil was for many years a tennis correspondent. In the interview Neil talks about WWFC for a bit at the beginning and for about 10 mins at the end. Here is the link:-

https://podtail.com/podcast/control-the-coronables/episode-47-neil-harman-close-quarters/

The interviewer also had a connection with the Club because he previously was based at Bisham at a time when the club trained there, so he therefore got to meet players and went to games (albeit he mentions Alan Sm****).

It is worth listening to.

• I have known Neil for many years and he is a first class journalist and talented writer. I would be very surprised if the O’Neill error was his, but even if it was I don’t think it should be allowed to detract from the excellence of what I’ve read in the early pages of his book.

• If you read a article on a subject you have intimate knowledge of, you’ll find the odd error. And I take my hat off to the level of intimate knowledge of many posters on here! Over 300 pages and it’s bound to happen.

As an old man of print, I’m just thrilled to have a chunky book in my hands that’s all about my club. Before this it was only Small Town Dreams, Out of the Blue and that massive history tome.

Enjoying it so far.

• It’s a remarkable read. It really fills in the gaps in the most vivid and honest ways and brings a human story to all the heroes of 19/20.

• I think he knew he had to turn it around quickly while interest was high and you have to admire the speed. Yes, I know that does not excuse some shoddy fact-checking. It's all over the place and sometimes you just have to go with it. For example, I have now stopped shouting at the screen, throwing things or switching off immediately when in football documentaries someone says 'Anyway, we were away to Notts Forest...'
    He will probably change it for the Kindle edition/audiobook...but I'm glad I've got the old technology slightly imperfect version myself.

• I’m disappointed. I was expecting an in depth real look at the inner workings of a lower league football club.

Instead it degenerated into a bizarre, ludicrously far-fetched work of fiction.

Poor form

• Bayo will obviously have to play himself in the film...

• "They promised us relegation, and suckered us into promotion."

• "Go and cover Wycombe's miserable struggle against certain relegation..."

• @bookertease said:
    I’m disappointed. I was expecting an in depth real look at the inner workings of a lower league football club.

Instead it degenerated into a bizarre, ludicrously far-fetched work of fiction.

I don’t know about that, personally I was hoping for a heroic feelgood David v Goliath triumph against all the odds.

I’m not at the end yet (4/5 of the way through), but (spoiler alert) I’ve been told that the culmination involves just the standard bread & butter ending of the long-established league club grinding the hopes and dreams of the humble, plucky non-league upstarts without so much as a fourth side to their “stadium” into nothingness.

Where’s the joy and optimism in that?

No-one’s going to opt into the screen rights here, I feel.

• It was interesting to note he says there was a film crew planning to do a behind the scenes season long docco a la Sunderland and Fleetwood but decided not to...I bet they are kicking themselves now. I hope so.

• Bit uncomfortable with how he described Trust board members as a "lot of snouts in a rapidly emptying trough"

To me that imagery points to those people taking out of the club. That simply isn't how it was.

That said, the inside access he had and the way players and officials have clearly opened up to him over the course of the season undoubtedly makes it required reading for any Wycombe fan. It's an inside look at the story of the season that you simply won't get anywhere else.

• @eric_plant said:
    Bit uncomfortable with how he described Trust board members as a "lot of snouts in a rapidly emptying trough"

Does it really say that? What an appalling misrepresentation of the volunteers who successfully navigated some of the hardest days in our history.