Skip to content

What will grounds look like when fans are allowed back in?

edited August 2020 in Football

A couple of interesting bits from The Athletic (our toilets and stadium access may prove challenging) and - I think someone posted this on another thread the other day - Rochdale

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    A couple of interesting bits from The Athletic (our toilets and stadium access may prove challenging) and - I think someone posted this on another thread the other day - Rochdale

Very interesting on the Rochdale one, as that is the first time I've actually seen a club quoting an exact number as a rule. As opposed to us just working off an estimation.

As if Rochdale are working to 2,100 with what is given (else here i looked!) as a 10450 ish capacity with our capacity being lower we surely will be 2,000 or under?

Making the assumption that it's done on a percentage rather than individual assessment of facilities?

But no away fans at all and no shouting singing or chanting seem to be exceptionally difficult to police!

Gentle applause and smacking boards/seats together job is it?

• Will be interesting to see what the punishments are for people in the ground singing and shouting. If it is ground closures I am pretty sure our drone army will only allow us to see one game before a closure. I don't honestly see enough people following these rules if recent weeks of lockdown ignoring is anything to go by

• From the Athletic article:

"It is hoped most clubs will be able to operate with capacities of about 30 per cent of their usual maximum, but no two stadiums are the same in terms of dimensions, design and surroundings.

Some clubs, blessed with roomy concourses, wide staircases and plenty of space outside the ground itself to put in the type of temporary concession stands and toilets you might expect to find when they are staging concerts in the off-season, will achieve that target relatively easily, and may even be able to fit a few more in than that figure.

Others whose grounds have tight corners, pinch points and close neighbours might struggle to go much higher than 20 per cent, at which point some may have a financial viability issue, particularly those further down the league pyramid. Top-flight clubs Crystal Palace, Everton and Newcastle United should not have that concern, but might not reach the 30 per cent mark under the current guidelines."

• They surely have to look at where a ground is located as well and how fans get there.

We could probably deal with 3,000 getting there, as people can parkup and walk in.

You start on an Arsenal, or Man Utd, where a massive amount arrive by tram and tube, and you wonder if they can really take 18-25k

I wonder who and how they would even police "shouting"

Unless they also rule out talking, who judges whether someone has spoken, or shouted?We all know an insufferable loud talker at games!

Does the club have to stitch up their own fans, or will there be some sort of "noise steward" drafted in.

Thank goodness all this is someone else's job.

• Sounds like the drummer is about to find his niche!

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Sounds like the drummer is about to find his niche!

Oh nooo, can you imagine the 100s of threads about it.

• Not being able to sing or shout is all the more reason to ban drums.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Not being able to sing or shout is all the more reason to ban drums.

I suppose the problem is that without any shouting it'll be a weird eerie atmosphere.

Can you see people clapping all game?

• edited August 2020

@Malone No, but would you rather clapping or out of time thumping?

• I'm going to pre-record a set of comments, encouragement and insults and play them at the appropriate times

• I’m going to mumble “rhubarb” throughout the match. If I can get enough fellow Woodlanders to join in, it will sound like the murmuring of a crowd.

• A cricket crowd.

• Maybe hold up Olympic-style judges scoring cards for particularly good passes, saves and goals?

• I am usually very vocal in my support of the team and so whilst I'm very much looking forward to getting back down to AP I'm not looking forward to the ban that will,come when I jump up screaming and shouting when Bayo knocks in his third past Derby for example......don't see how they can enforce it, and watching the snooker this weekend where crowds were let in for the final they were shouting and it was indoors....? Surely up in the windy FA it'll be fine to scream "Get in!" As we take the lead.......

• Surely up in the windy FA your coronavirus breath would carry further.

(How good was Ronnie on Sunday though?!)

• Exactly dr c, and therefore the viral load will be more dissipated reducing the likelihood of transmission........ie safer than indoors.

...and yes RoS was top drawer.

• The snooker example is very odd.

Apparently it is fine for 300 people to sit in an enclosed room for several hours (well 10 minutes for the final session) or indeed for several hundred people to crowd into a pub. But when the FA Cup cranks into action two weeks tomorrow for the extra preliminary additional further yet another early round, it apparently will be impossible for 80-100 fools like myself to spread ourselves safely around an outdoor football pitch at my local very nonleague club even though we pioneered social distancing at most games long before Covid was a thing

• Plus I'll have my quartered mask on disguising my shout..... I just imagine the FA equivalent of
    Chief warden hodges patrolling telling people they are talking too loudly.....

• Who is your very non league local club @DevC?

• Once those quick result Covid tests become widely available we could all conform with the Couhig preference of arriving early and be prepared to leave before kick off if found to be positive.

Yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek but not a total flight of fancy.

• My very non league local club @drcongo is the Sexy Lambs of Tavistock Town. I presume similar restrictions will apply to the likes of Amersham or Holmer Green (I am not totally clear the exact level of clubs in your area or therefore which FA Cup rd if any they enter at.) Its not Adams Park but it is eight hours round trip nearer....

• Not sure where several hundred people can crowd into a pub @DevC . Several people are a crowd in one or two pubs hereabouts with all that distancing palaver.
    But that is just a silly aside.

It does seem ludicrous that, if I understand it correctly, no fans will be allowed in to watch little old Tavistock Town play an extra preliminary qualifying FA Cup match. I’ve just read a few bits and pieces about The Lambs. Very interesting. Founded a year later (1888) than the Wanderers and the Chairman is none other than erstwhile Plymouth Argyle Chairman, Paul Stapleton.

• Qualifying round

• Think the Snooker is one of a few test events rather than snooker being ok generally where football isn't. Hopefully all the attendees are being monitored and if none are ill in a few weeks time we'll be allowed in.

• It is what it is @micra . It has aspirations to progress (were top of the Western League at lock down suspension although two clubs just behind had a number of games in hand) and play attractive attacking on the deck football. Stapleton has only joined this summer, so hopefully helps it to progress rather than changes it to much. A long FA Vase run doesn't look totally out of the question.

Have to be honest I rather scoffed when @A_Worboys promoted this level of football but then tried it and found he was right and I was wrong. Highly recommended to all when you cant get to a WWFC game (if they ever allow supporters again)

• Some interesting observations here: https://laurencereade.com/2020/08/16/a-route-forward/

It's almost like the people making the rules for football have never seen a game outside the Premier League.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    I am usually very vocal in my support of the team and so whilst I'm very much looking forward to getting back down to AP I'm not looking forward to the ban that will,come when I jump up screaming and shouting when Bayo knocks in his third past Derby for example......don't see how they can enforce it, and watching the snooker this weekend where crowds were let in for the final they were shouting and it was indoors....? Surely up in the windy FA it'll be fine to scream "Get in!" As we take the lead.......

I would recommend applying a quality gaffer tape before the whistle goes!

• @floyd said:
    Some interesting observations here: https://laurencereade.com/2020/08/16/a-route-forward/

It's almost like the people making the rules for football have never seen a game outside the Premier League.

Football players are all Chavs turned Millionaires, fans are all Millwall 1970, Clubs are all Man City for most hacks and politicians.

• @micra said:
    Not sure where several hundred people can crowd into a pub @DevC

Not been out on the town recently in Doncaster then..