Skip to content

Chairboys Central 2020/21 build-up

Comments

• Options off the bench next season are going to be huge I think. There will be a lot of games where our aim is to stay in the game up until 75 mins and then try to pinch a narrow result late on. I think we are already pretty good at that, and the improved bench strength last season felt a big factor.

I could really see players like Kashket focussing in trying to have high impact 15 minute spells. If he gets just a couple of goals off the bench that turn draws into wins then that would be a massive contribution.

And the quid pro quo is that someone like Samuel will probably get a good number of starts but will be on the pitch to with the primary objective of breaking up play and harassing opposition defenders.

We already do a lot of those things but I expect it will be especially apparent next season.

• I'm not that worried that we haven't announced any signings yet as I suspect there will be plenty of players falling into our scouting range affected by the gap created by the l1 salary cap stopping bigger l1 clubs signing as many "championship " level players.

That said, I expect 8-10 players in the door, with at least 2 or 3 starters and 2 or 3 more first team squad members, this is a huge step up and we cant pretend we don't need to add some real quality to compete

• @Username said:

That said, I expect 8-10 players in the door, with at least 2 or 3 starters and 2 or 3 more first team squad members, this is a huge step up and we cant pretend we don't need to add some real quality to compete

Who's pretending? Tell me and I'll make them stop.

• It'll feel like a right flurry of signings if we do make 8-10 over the next 4-6 weeks!

• I loved that day last summer when we made 3-4 signings in one day. They just kept coming...

• It would not be the new season for Wycombe if it was not a big step up, we did not have to sign 8-10 players in order to compete and were favourites for relegation.

• edited August 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    It would not be the new season for Wycombe if it was not a big step up, we did not have to sign 8-10 players in order to compete and were favourites for relegation.

We've lost Smyth Jombati Ofoborh and Mccarthy who significantly contributed last year. Mascoll and a reserve keeper were required cover which has left too, that's 6 minimum first teamers needed to get back to having a small league 1 squad.

We need 8-10 players

• @Username said:

@Wendoverman said:
    It would not be the new season for Wycombe if it was not a big step up, we did not have to sign 8-10 players in order to compete and were favourites for relegation.

We've lost Smyth Jombati Ofoborh and Mccarthy who significantly contributed last year. Mascoll and a reserve keeper were required cover which has left too, that's 6 minimum first teamers needed to get back to having a small league 1 squad.

We need 8-10 players

You're right.
    Though pedant's corner - not sure you can say Sido, much as we love him significantly contributed last year!

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@Wendoverman said:

We need 8-10 players

You're right.
    Though pedant's corner - not sure you can say Sido, much as we love him significantly contributed last year!

Nor did Smyth really.

• Smyth was only fit and playing in his strongest position for about six games, injury rather ruined his season.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@Wendoverman said:

We need 8-10 players

You're right.

Nor did Smyth really.

I left him out as i know people get aggravated at any comments knocking him.

I was the same in fairness regarding Aarons.

• He won us the game at Bolton, and seeing how close the season ended, that's significant enough.

We were pretty fortunate with injuries this year as well, especially across the backline.

If we haven't signed anyone by next weekend I'll be starting to panick a bit!

• With 13 midweek league games without any doubt at all there has to be a starter level centre back on our radar.

Probably top 3 priority alongside a vaguely creative centre mid and striker

• Would anyone think taking a premiere league U23 development player, 19 years old, centre back too much of a risk?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Would anyone think taking a premiere league U23 development player, 19 years old, centre back too much of a risk?

Simply depends on the individual.
    Could be genius. Could be a disaster.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Would anyone think taking a premiere league U23 development player, 19 years old, centre back too much of a risk?

You mean like Steven Taylor or Alfie Mawson?

• Mmm, yes I agree with the above comment could go either way. I know this lad, extremely likeable, very dedicated to making it, was on standby for premiere league club recently & lives locally so fits with many of the attributes that GA & Dobbo look for. Only concern is his age/experience might be too much of a risk at Championship level?

• edited August 2020

@floyd said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Was awaiting your Mawson line again. Between here and fb you must write that at least once a day :)

• Personally I doubt we would give a 19 year old Centre back his Football league debut while we are playing in the championship. I suspect experience is an attribute we will be seeking at Centre back (cover for Darius).

• Whoever is Darius' 'understudy' could have to play 15+ games - 13 midweek matches next season, which I don't think include the Christmas schedule - so they need to be semi-established or a youngster GA and RD are supremely confident in.

• Can't help but think you are correct @Forest_Blue.
    Shame though as he could be one of them gems, but probably a risk we can't afford atm.

• Go on Ewan... give us a name ! Get his name out there, you never know it might do him favour, get people talking etc etc

• Alfie Mawson was a true one-off. I remember listening to the commentary from Newport in August 2014, being puzzled by the frequent mention of an unfamiliar name and thinking “whoever that is, he’s clearly having a superb debut”. He certainly was!

Steven Taylor was a different kettle of fish.
    He was only 17 and had already played for the first team at Newcastle. Mawson was not far short of his 21st birthday and I don’t think he’d made the Brentford first team. Expectations were therefore lower but, my goodness (my Guinness) how he exceeded them.

• Steven Taylor's debut really was a stand out performance that sticks in the memory from over the years

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Go on Ewan... give us a name ! Get his name out there, you never know it might do him favour, get people talking etc etc

I know @EwanHoosaami by a couple of different names but, not surprisingly, when you work out the meaning of his username, Ewan is not one of them.
    I admit it took me a long time to “see” it.
    It reflects his readiness to take you on !

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Was awaiting your Mawson line again. Between here and fb you must write that at least once a day :)

My dad still talks about Keith Mead, it’s in the genes.

• @micra said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Go on Ewan... give us a name ! Get his name out there, you never know it might do him favour, get people talking etc etc

I know @EwanHoosaami by a couple of different names but, not surprisingly, when you work out the meaning of his username, Ewan is not one of them.
    I admit it took me a long time to “see” it.
    It reflects his readiness to take you on !

One horse am I?

Had a scoot around google, and found a lot of hotels reviewed on tripadvisor by the same name, but not a lot else.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Whoever is Darius' 'understudy' could have to play 15+ games - 13 midweek matches next season, which I don't think include the Christmas schedule - so they need to be semi-established or a youngster GA and RD are supremely confident in.

Exactly, we need 3 first choice centre backs for next season, whoever we bring in needs to be at least as good as Stewart/Charles

• @HolmerBlue said:

Sorry @HolmerBlue I can't. This lad is a client of mine and work with him most weeks, so dare not.

• @Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Whoever is Darius' 'understudy' could have to play 15+ games - 13 midweek matches next season, which I don't think include the Christmas schedule - so they need to be semi-established or a youngster GA and RD are supremely confident in.

Exactly, we need 3 first choice centre backs for next season, whoever we bring in needs to be at least as good as Stewart/Charles

Exactly this. Also, we will definitely sign McCarthy unless Millwall are stupid about it.