Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else slightly concerned...

...that the out of contract Stewart just had the game of his life on national television?

Here's hoping he won't be feeling quite so open to outside offers after his Crewe experience.

Β«1

Comments

  • concerned yes. But he will be starting every week in the Championship next year, hopefully under a manager he knows and trusts. Have a good season and the opportunities (and financial rewards) in the year after may be considerable. Grass not always greener elsewhere.

  • And he knows that from last time

  • Here we go...didn't we have a month where every day Gape definitely wasn't re-signing. Unless someone in the Championship offers him a big bundle of dosh and guarantees games, I reckon he will stay to see where we can go. He likes Gaz, he is first on the team-sheet and he had a bad experience elsewhere.

  • I'm pleased for him that he'll now be able to negotiate a contract with Wycombe where he'll be paid the salary of a Championship-level defender (though, hopefully, with significant salary cut should it be longer than one year and we get relegated...)

  • @Jonny_King said:
    ...that the out of contract Stewart just had the game of his life on national television?

    Here's hoping he won't be feeling quite so open to outside offers after his Crewe experience.

    Yep, memories of the Mawson sort of situation!

    Am hoping that it's all been arranged anyway, and just not announced.
    Would be pretty dangerous otherwise.

  • @aloysius said:
    I'm pleased for him that he'll now be able to negotiate a contract with Wycombe where he'll be paid the salary of a Championship-level defender (though, hopefully, with significant salary cut should it be longer than one year and we get relegated...)

    I doubt he'll be getting 10-15k a week here!

  • @Wendoverman said:
    Here we go...didn't we have a month where every day Gape definitely wasn't re-signing. Unless someone in the Championship offers him a big bundle of dosh and guarantees games, I reckon he will stay to see where we can go. He likes Gaz, he is first on the team-sheet and he had a bad experience elsewhere.

    Back then, he'd just watched a string of team mates get decent moves elsewhere, and you can't blame him for feeling that he was missing out.
    All he did in the end was waste half a season, and probably not for much money.

    Superb from Gareth that he never let the emotion get in the way, or everyone would have paid.

  • I’m sure we will be looking at signing Stewart up on a 2-3 yr deal and making him one of the best paid players in the squad in the process. Among the current group Gape, Fred & Stewart all have significant sell on potential if they do well next season.

  • As he said on his post match interviewβ€˜I’ve been here from the start since I was 15’ , he got burnt by agents vis Crewe, was glad to be brought back under Dobo’s wing, just had a baby, humble shy even family guy. We will look after him, he will stay.

  • @Malone I don't blame him for heading off then. I'm just bemoaning the early start of Gasroom 'well he's definitely off what on earth will we do? '

  • He will stay unless he gets offered a game changer wage elsewhere..Had his fingers burnt last time.

  • I hope he stays, but I am proud of the fact that GA does not stand in the way of players if they get amazing offers to further their careers. Obviously we can't stand in the way of someone out of contract as in this case, but I feel the club really cares for the futures of the players. If Sheffield Wednesday or Fulham came in for him, GA would hug him, wish him the best, and keep his number in his phone, no doubt.

  • @Aylesburyblue said:
    He will stay unless he gets offered a game changer wage elsewhere..Had his fingers burnt last time.

    I fully agree

  • @Wendoverman said:
    I don't blame him for heading off then. I'm just bemoaning the early start of Gasroom 'well he's definitely off what on earth will we do?’

    To clarify, I was being (attempting to be) a little tongue in cheek. I am extremely confident (if not quite 100% confident) that he will still be a Wycombe player next season. I’m certainly not actually concerned.

    On the other hand, I won’t sleep until I know Blooms has agreed a new deal. I think Gaz will give him another year at least, but I won’t relax until it’s signed and announced.

  • Anthony Stewart has signed a new β€˜multi year deal’.

    Confirmed today by Pete Couhig.

  • @Vincey said:
    Anthony Stewart has signed a new β€˜multi year deal’.

    Confirmed today by Pete Couhig.

    Had a quick look at his Twitter and not on there.
    Did he comment individually on someone's page?

  • @Malone said:

    @Vincey said:
    Anthony Stewart has signed a new β€˜multi year deal’.

    Confirmed today by Pete Couhig.

    Had a quick look at his Twitter and not on there.
    Did he comment individually on someone's page?

    Look for the β€˜league one lowdown’ on Spotify, there’s a small 8 minute edition which is essentially just an interview with Pete Couhig.

  • edited July 15

    As above.

    Pete confirms he's signed a multi-year deal and even has a Premier League wage clause (which is thanks to Leon Johnson, who is now his agent).

    https://open.spotify.com/episode/3nbrfdfSfWbKoulabAYFpz?si=EI0__EC7TL6l0ndGXRAPHQ

    I consider this big news - may be worth changing the title of the thread.

  • That is fantastic news - one massive item crossed off the to-do list. If Anthony does leave, it will only be for big compensation to us now!

  • How does this Prameer League clause work then? Does it deny him the opportunity to transfer to a club below the Prameer League?

  • @micra said:
    How does this Prameer League clause work then? Does it deny him the opportunity to transfer to a club below the Prameer League?

    It means if we get promoted the Premier League (!) he's wages would increase appropriately.

  • Presumably just means we can't refuse it. Not that we usually refuse a player an opportunity anyway?

    But he can have that clause, but we'd still surely have a fee in there.

    He can't just go for 10k because it's a premier league team, that'd be super mad.

  • I probably should have been more specific, all of these are of course clauses that may well be included. The one Pete alluded to was around his wages.

  • I’d have thought we’d be talking at least a million.

  • @micra said:
    I’d have thought we’d be talking at least a million.

    To a Premier club, without doubt.

    Being in the championship now, our players should automatically be worth more.

    Look at the fees Brentford are selling players for these days! Insane.

    A few goals from Fred, and a couple of clubs involved in a bidding war, and who knows the fee he could secure.

  • What sort of money are we talking @Malone ? I’m completely out of touch.
    How much did Beijing Groan pay for Nico Yennaris?

  • @micra said:
    What sort of money are we talking @Malone ? I’m completely out of touch.
    How much did Beijing Groan pay for Nico Yennaris?

    24 over a million according to this!
    5m for Yennaris, and 20m for Maupay

    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-brentford/rekordabgaenge/verein/1148

    Trust me, if Fred scores say 10 goals pre Christmas, his potential value will hit the low millions.

  • The clause isn't to do with clubs coming in for him, it's to do with how much his salary would increase were we to reach the Premier League

Β«1
Sign In or Register to comment.