Skip to content

Starting 11 vs Fleetwood first leg

Comments

• edited June 2020

No chance we race into a 3-0 lead away at Fleetwood of all places. Play-off semis are won in the second leg, not the first! Keep it tight and nick something - and at the very least, don't give anything away - which is what our long unbeaten run was built on. And with the proper back four together for the first time since November, I'm confident of that. As for Allsop or Stockdale, I expect Rocky to get the nod but agree Stocko is the superior 'keeper.

• EFL state no positive tests in Lg1 so fingers crossed all players will be available

• I think we'll go a combination of two things - players with Championship experience and players with level-headedness. I think Fred and Wheeler either side of Bayo. Bloomfield in midfield with Gape and Thompson. Charles starting both matches. And Stockdale in goal.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    No chance we race into a 3-0 lead away at Fleetwood of all places. Play-off semis are won in the second leg, not the first! Keep it tight and nick something - and at the very least, don't give anything away - which is what our long unbeaten run was built on. And with the proper back four together for the first time since November, I'm confident of that. As for Allsop or Stockdale, I expect Rocky to get the nod but agree Stocko is the superior 'keeper.

3-0 away brought back fond memories of Plymouth in the L2 playoffs a few seasons ago (before we conceded 2 goals). Like you though, I think it’ll be a much more cagey affair next week and I’d take a scrappy 0-0 from the first leg every day of the week

• Yeah, preferably not a repeat of that Plymouth game! Even if it did work out alright in the end (sort of...).

No chance we race into a 3-0 lead away at Fleetwood of all places. Play-off semis are won in the second leg, not the first!

Not really been the case with Wycombe's play off adventures. The Plymouth games have been mentioned but we got a decisive lead at Carlisle and were never able to turn ovet first leg defeats against Stockport and Cheltenham. I always remember our performance at Cheltenham. Played so so well but couldn't score.

• Leon Knight and Charlie Griffin missing great chances at Stockport and Cheltenham are forever etched on my memory! Hopefully this will be a cleansing experience.

• "That goal changed nothing", about the game that...changed the tie is the playoff memory I'll unfortunately always remember first.

After the 93/94 one obvs.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    No chance we race into a 3-0 lead away at Fleetwood of all places. Play-off semis are won in the second leg, not the first!

Not really been the case with Wycombe's play off adventures. The Plymouth games have been mentioned but we got a decisive lead at Carlisle and were never able to turn ovet first leg defeats against Stockport and Cheltenham. I always remember our performance at Cheltenham. Played so so well but couldn't score.

We drew the first leg against Stockport

• All I really remember about the Cheltenham away leg is that Rob Lee absolutely ran the show on what I think was his final game as a professional footballer.

We completely dominated the game and yet at no time did I ever think we were going to score. Just had an air of inevitability about it.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It will be rocky...despite Stockdale suddenly becoming our saviour between the sticks!. I agree that starting front three will probably be Wheels, Fred and Alex and Blooms will play. With the pace of Smyth and the sheer Akinfenwa-ness of Bayo to come on late. What a back four though...I think Grimmer has enough to fill the Macca shaped hole and hopefully they (or mainly Darius) will be able to play both legs. Also agree it will probably be a cagey affair unless Fleetwood score first.

Both games against Fleetwood Allsop made errors, Stockdale by far the better keeper.
    Wouldnt be suprised to see him start.

• Couldn't agree more. Different levels

• I fully expect Stockdale to start.

• Stockdale seems to be one of those players who is amazing on social media until he actually gets to play. Then he returns to fallible humanity. Bit like that tall ginger haired left back a few years ago who was godlike while on the bench but then made the mistake of actually playing.

Stockdale in his prime elsewhere was a higher level keeper than Allsopp. But in his couple of games for us this season looked a long way from his prime. Question is not which was the best GK in his prime but which is the best GK now. GA will be able to form a decent impression of that from training.

My guess (based on no info whatsoever) is that Allsopp and Bayo will start.

• Cool contribution

• @DevC said:
    Stockdale seems to be one of those players who is amazing on social media until he actually gets to play. Then he returns to fallible humanity. Bit like that tall ginger haired left back a few years ago who was godlike while on the bench but then made the mistake of actually playing.

Stockdale in his prime elsewhere was a higher level keeper than Allsopp. But in his couple of games for us this season looked a long way from his prime. Question is not which was the best GK in his prime but which is the best GK now. GA will be able to form a decent impression of that from training.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for cutting through the speculation and telling us exactly what will happen.
    I can sleep tonight

• @DevC said:
    Stockdale seems to be one of those players who is amazing on social media until he actually gets to play. Then he returns to fallible humanity. Bit like that tall ginger haired left back a few years ago who was godlike while on the bench but then made the mistake of actually playing.

I doubt you saw either game DevC, Stocklakes handling and command of his area was immpecable until his late mistake at MK.

• @ChasHarps said:

@DevC said:

I doubt you saw either game DevC, Stocklakes handling and command of his area was immpecable until his late mistake at MK.

He made a great stop in the MK game from memory. What a hideous game that was

• @jessvl1 said:

@ChasHarps said:

@DevC said:

He made a great stop in the MK game from memory. What a hideous game that was

It was really the epitome of "dog squeeze" that game.

• One of those games where you just knew what the result was going to be five minutes in. The worst kind.

• The 'fans' I was standing near at MK were convinced of the result BEFORE a ball was kicked.

• It just struck me that this should be the first time Grimmer and Fred have started together since 5th October.

Yeah, preferably not a repeat of that Plymouth game! Even if it did work out alright in the end (sort of...).

Casually paraphrasing "Three little birds" @chairboyscentral ?

• @NorsQuarters Hahaha, I didn't even realise.

• Does every division make their own rules up now or does this, if confirmed, apply to CMS too?

• That's assuming he still has a contract after Tuesday.

• Quite a few are technically out of contract after tuesday aren't they? I hope the club let us know what's going on with them...

• "A returning player can only feature if the club could not name a full squad without them, but they can be selected whether they have been on domestic or international loans."

I don't think we'd fall into this category at the moment.