Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting 11 vs Fleetwood first leg

Sorry if I’ve missed a thread for this, but what does everyone think for starting 11 against Fleetwood for the first leg?

I’d like to see something like this:

Stockdale

Grimmer
Stewart
Charles
Jacobson

Thompson
Gape
Wheeler

Smyth
Akinfenwa
Onyedinma

I’d assume we’d then need to make a fair few changes for the 2nd leg with only 2 full days of rest and recovery in between the matches, but I’d be confident in that 11 coming away with a lead from the first leg.

«13

Comments

  • Hard to argue with that.

  • Tasty line up there.

    Just wonder if we'll go with Samuel instead of Bayo in the first game, with Bayo coming on late on if needed.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • That is a great team, but I would be shocked if Bloomfield is dropped from leading out the team into their first ever L1 playoff semi, especially for his fitness and ability to harass the opposition from the front. I feel he will get into the away leg, and if dropped at all, it will be for the home tie.

    The team above is a better team, but does anyone think Bloomers will not be the man with the armband?

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • Can't see him swapping Stockdale in, would be a pretty big call even if he has trimmed down through lockdown. Allsop should keep his spot.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • How did I forget Blooms? I think his younger performances have become imprinted on my mind.
    Good point about choice of ‘keeper @crouder.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • @Croider - apologies.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @Shev is spot on I think - Bloomfield will start. I’d then imagine Wheeler going up top and Smyth dropping to the bench.

  • On reflection I think @Malone may be right and Samuel will start in an effort to tire out their defence. Bayo to replace him on 60 minutes.

  • It still stuns me to think that in early to mid July last year we were at such a low ebb, as far as squad size and expectations (Pattison was our first signing, on July 9th), with RC's money and most of the new players not coming till later in the month. And yet, come this July around the same time, we are in the L1 playoffs. Quite incredible.

  • Good points about Blooms, Samuel and Rocky starting. I can see GA going with a tough and workhorse-like side for the 1st leg the more I think about it

  • Blooms in to make sure the midfield is optimally terrier-like, Wheeler in place of Smyth and Samuel for Bayo imo. If we do start with Bayo, we can't do what we did against them last time - Souttar will head those away all day long. If Samuel starts, you need Wheeler as an outlet from goal-kicks.

  • I know we did it to death in pre season, but just thinking about the attacking options again gets you quite excited.

    Fred, Smyth, Bayo, Samuel, Wheeler, Kashket, so many permutations.

    Fred is the one I've got the highest hopes for. To think of how excellent our season was in the main part, with him missing so long is quite something.

  • I’d clean forgotten about Pattison. Didn’t make too many appearances did he? Is he a player with genuine potential?

  • Fred was the one we were all so excited about last summer. Would be the perfect ending for him to define the play-offs after missing most of the regular season.

  • edited June 23

    @micra said:
    I’d clean forgotten about Pattison. Didn’t make too many appearances did he? Is he a player with genuine potential?

    One of those you can tell Gaz has done his homework on and is a real "good egg" character wise.

    I just suspect he was a signing we made pre investment when the landscape looked a lot different.
    I can only really remember personally seeing him have a stormer against Bolton on day 1 of the season - he should have scored a hatrick that day.
    I fear he has it all to do to stay any longer than the 1 year contract he signed.

    However, Thompson was a slow burner, and look how he turned out!

  • I've got a feeling it'll be Fred, Samuel, Wheeler up top. With the option of 5 subs, the thought of being able to bring in Bayo, Kashket and Smyth in the latter stages, is an exciting one.

  • @Wycombe85 said:
    I've got a feeling it'll be Fred, Samuel, Wheeler up top. With the option of 5 subs, the thought of being able to bring in Bayo, Kashket and Smyth in the latter stages, is an exciting one.

    Yep agree.

    GA tends to go with experience in big games so I’m expecting Blooms to definitely start with Gape and Thompson (fitness permitting) behind him.

    I’d be very surprised if Bayo starts the first leg, I almost certainly think it will be Samuel down the middle.

    Given our away form this season I think we will be fairly conservative first leg.

  • @Malone said:

    @micra said:
    I’d clean forgotten about Pattison. Didn’t make too many appearances did he? Is he a player with genuine potential?

    One of those you can tell Gaz has done his homework on and is a real "good egg" character wise.

    I just suspect he was a signing we made pre investment when the landscape looked a lot different.
    I can only really remember personally seeing him have a stormer against Bolton on day 1 of the season - he should have scored a hatrick that day.
    I fear he has it all to do to stay any longer than the 1 year contract he signed.

    However, Thompson was a slow burner, and look how he turned out!

    Not sure Thompson was that slow a burner. I remember Alex Pattison now. He was at Yeovil when the Couhigs were in discussions with them and I assumed at the time that they had tipped off GA about his character and potential. According to the ever reliable Wikipedia he is 5’8” but, in my mind’s eye he looked much taller than that both on the pitch and when I saw him pre match in reception area.

  • @Malone you are prodigious! You’ve clocked up exactly 3000 more visits than I have.

  • edited June 24

    @Shev said:
    It still stuns me to think that in early to mid July last year we were at such a low ebb, as far as squad size and expectations (Pattison was our first signing, on July 9th), with RC's money and most of the new players not coming till later in the month. And yet, come this July around the same time, we are in the L1 playoffs. Quite incredible.

    Following that Pattison announcement, the rest of last July seemed to be another day another new signing. One of the most anticipated seasons for me and although I hoped we'd do well I was also braced for the customary mid- to late-season slump. While many say we deserve to be in the play-offs I think we've had a touch of football fortune. What an opportunity!

  • @micra said:

    @Malone said:

    @micra said:
    I’d clean forgotten about Pattison. Didn’t make too many appearances did he? Is he a player with genuine potential?

    One of those you can tell Gaz has done his homework on and is a real "good egg" character wise.

    I just suspect he was a signing we made pre investment when the landscape looked a lot different.
    I can only really remember personally seeing him have a stormer against Bolton on day 1 of the season - he should have scored a hatrick that day.
    I fear he has it all to do to stay any longer than the 1 year contract he signed.

    However, Thompson was a slow burner, and look how he turned out!

    Not sure Thompson was that slow a burner. I remember Alex Pattison now. He was at Yeovil when the Couhigs were in discussions with them and I assumed at the time that they had tipped off GA about his character and potential. According to the ever reliable Wikipedia he is 5’8” but, in my mind’s eye he looked much taller than that both on the pitch and when I saw him pre match in reception area.

    Thompson couldn't get near the lineup when he first came in and I'm sure was a bench boy in the main for a few months at the end of one season. If memory is correct i think it was actually the next season he emerged.

    I think it's a real stretch to suggest the Couhigs had any impact on the Pattison deal. Would be nice to think it though.

  • By no means a stretch. He played 29 games for Yeovil (according to my usual reliable source!) and I can well believe that the irrepressibly enthusiastic Pete C might have suggested to GA that he could be worth a punt. Not that the Couhigs have any intention of “interfering” on football matters of course!

    On the matter of Wikipedia, incidentally, I was amused to read that Eric Garcia moved from FC Barcelona to Manchester City aged 2017. No wonder he came off worse when he collided with his own goalkeeper.

  • I understand the discussion on the highs and lows of last summer's transfer activity but worth noting that more than half the likely starting line up for the play offs will be players which achieved promotion from L2 with us, and probably 8/9 players which were with us last year. Obviously the transfers in the summer have helped squad depth but a decent core of the squad was assembled before the Couhig's money

  • It will be rocky...despite Stockdale suddenly becoming our saviour between the sticks!. I agree that starting front three will probably be Wheels, Fred and Alex and Blooms will play. With the pace of Smyth and the sheer Akinfenwa-ness of Bayo to come on late. What a back four though...I think Grimmer has enough to fill the Macca shaped hole and hopefully they (or mainly Darius) will be able to play both legs. Also agree it will probably be a cagey affair unless Fleetwood score first.

  • Surely everyone has to be available for both legs. Now is not the time for stock rotation.

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Surely everyone has to be available for both legs. Now is not the time for stock rotation.

    With extra substitute options it's not as big a risk and it's a really short term window for all three game with a big rest at the end

  • We had a lot of ex Yeovil trialists early on, due to the football consultant guy who I now can't remember.

  • Mark Palmer?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • The thing I like most about GA is his positivity and belief, which quite often means he does the opposite of what most people would likely do.
    As humans we naturally look for the safe option, which I think is Samuel, Wheeler and Freeman/Fred. With Thommo, Blooms and Gape behind.
    I think that's what Barton might expect. So it will be no surprise to me if we go out full blast for first half and finish the tie up there. Three goals up, sit back and go conservative 2nd half to take a huge advantage back to AP.
    Rocky
    Grimmer Stewart Charles JJ
    Thompson Gape
    Wheeler
    Smyth Bayo Fred

    Onwards and upwards!

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Must admit I'm slightly surprised by all those thinking Allsop will start ahead of Stockdale. Stockdale is clearly the more accomplished keeper and the form book is out the window. Surely Stockdale starts?

Sign In or Register to comment.