Skip to content

Play-off 1st week of July

2»

Comments

• Will that not just be for abroad?
    Usually games on other live broadcast such as sky haven't been on I follow.

• This site seems to be offering a weeks worth of sky sports (through a now tv voucher code) for £9 (hopefully a week won’t be enough.) I’ve no idea how legit the site is.

https://www.cdkeys.com/top-up-cards/nowtv/now-tv-sky-sports-1-week-pass

• Oxford have understandably cancelled today's planned friendly against a Championship side. It's going to be hard for any team with squad members or associated staff who test positive to be able to get the necessary build-up training completed, surely.

• What would happen if the semi finals are completed and then one of the finalists get a number of their players testing positive just before the final? Is the final deferred for 14 days, the play offs abandoned or the other finalist gets a walkover. Hopefully the EFL have contingency plans in place should this happen.

• Yes. It sounds that at best we may have to make do with any warm up game just being between our own squad. Maybe a few of the staff making numbers up where needed.

• @Malone said:
    Will that not just be for abroad?
    Usually games on other live broadcast such as sky haven't been on I follow.

I believe ifollow coverage will be made available for members of the media as there are restrictions on how many of them are allowed to attend in person. I don’t know if that will be extended to the general public.

• You’d hope, given the circumstances, that the FL are petitioning Sky to allow the game to be made available on iFollow at least.

It’s going to be bad enough fans not being able to attend in person and limiting broadcast to one outlet that not everyone has/can afford risks fans congregating; whether thats at the ground, or round a mate’s house, or at any pub that risks doing a special lock-in for a few of its Wycombe-supporting regulars.

• In fairness, if ifollow did have the games it could still be £30 for (hopefully) 3 Wycombe games.

Compare that to the most expensive Now Tv option of £34 a month, which has the three games plus 12 other playoff games and 40 premier league games plus 11 sky sports channels..and great Phil commentary aside its a bit badly stacked.

• TBH I actually like listening in to the Follow audio stream. It helps stoke the imagination. Only let down is that the BBC usually sends me a notification before I hear the "goal"scream from @bluntphil which spoils it a bit.

• Yeah, I see what you mean. I can’t see Murdoch offering to do something nice for people - not when there’s even a relatively small amount of money to be made - and I’m resigned to forking out for a temporary Sky Sports package, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• Dont think Murdoch is anything to do with Sky anymore, is he?

• Comcast took control of Sky some time ago and although you’d expect me to defend them, Sky have done more for lower league football in terms of exposure and finance than any other TV company has ever done.

• Thanks, I didn’t know that about Murdoch.

Re: Sky, I think there are compelling arguments on both sides of the debate over whether they help or hinder lower league clubs. Speaking only for myself, as a distant exile for whom attending a game isn’t as simple as a ten minute drive down to Sands, I find it incredibly frustrating when games are moved, often at short notice and to less convinent KO times, to accommodate TV companies and their customers . Not a regular problem for me, as we feature on TV so rarely, but over the years I have had to miss several games I dearly wanted to attend due to them being rearranged for Sky/BT (and therefore then not even being able to watch them on the iFollow service I pay good money for). Remember, we were supposed to be getting up to Accrington for a 12pm Sunday kickoff before Covid kicked in. Could have been a promotion clincher and I would have been there for 3pm on a Saturday, but the rearrangement would have made it Impossible for me, and many others I’m sure.

Yes, the money and exposure are helpful (although I doubt we’ve gained many ‘new fans’ by virtue of being on the telly once or twice) but let’s accept that these are always decisions that are made to benefit TV viewers, rather than fans who actually attend games.

• @Jonny_King Can you watch games on iFollow in the UK (other than non Saturday matches) with an annual subscription. I thought the only ones were non Saturday and were on a pay per view basis. Bit confused about your comment about having paid for iFollow and not being able to use it when games moved for Sky/BT.

• @carrickblue said:
    @Jonny_King Can you watch games on iFollow in the UK (other than non Saturday matches) with an annual subscription. I thought the only ones were non Saturday and were on a pay per view basis. Bit confused about your comment about having paid for iFollow and not being able to use it when games moved for Sky/BT.

I wondered on that too, but took it more as a preferring not to deal with Sky thing as the main basis.

• I had it in my head that we've had a non Saturday game this season that was shown on Sky and therefore was not available on iFollow when otherwise it would have been. Think it may have been Ipswich. Apologies if I've got that wrong.

• Think you’re correct there. It was the bit about having paid to watch on iFollow. Living in Northern Ireland now listening on iFollow is my main way of following matches. Thought you were saying it’s possible to watch but understood that’s outside of UK and Ireland. If there’s a way, without using VPN to watch I’d be interested

• So if the hospitality sector opens up on July 4th, as seems to be expected, there’s no reason why the club can’t have the game on in the Caledonian bar. Maybe lay on a bit of grub and plenty of Rebellion too!

• @Doob said:
    So if the hospitality sector opens up on July 4th, as seems to be expected, there’s no reason why the club can’t have the game on in the Caledonian bar. Maybe lay on a bit of grub and plenty of Rebellion too!

Imagine being at the ground watching on tv with the game actually taking place the other side of the walls of the room you're in.

That'd be odd.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2020

Many of us have done this during second halves at AP and other grounds!

• Would be too tempting to try and sneak a view of the pitch from somewhere......torture otherwise!

• edited June 2020

@carrickblue said:
    Think you’re correct there. It was the bit about having paid to watch on iFollow. Living in Northern Ireland now listening on iFollow is my main way of following matches. Thought you were saying it’s possible to watch but understood that’s outside of UK and Ireland. If there’s a way, without using VPN to watch I’d be interested

Sorry, I meant as in having paid my annual subscription to iFollow, generally for the commentary, but it also entailing being able to watch Tuesday night games. I didn't explain myself well at all!

Of course, I would still have taken out the iFollow subscription anyway, I was just irritated when the option to watch on a subscription service was taken away because it had been moved to a different subscription service!