Skip to content

Play-off 1st week of July

Comments

• Bit arse that they aren’t being made available for iFollow. I know Sky aren’t a charity, but given that pubs are shut and they want to discourage fans from going to the ground (bearing in mind there are a few vantage points overlooking AP) you’d think they might agree to make the games more readily available for fans to watch.

• You can buy a one day Sky Sports pass on Now TV for £10.

• I thought David Stockdale would have shed the "Stock the Fridge" nickname now he's trimmed down a bit.

• All a bit more real now isn’t it?

• Thought the league were very keen not to let it slip into July due to contract issues

Stockdale is employed by Birmingham until 30 June. Doesnt feel likely they will want to extend his contract on high wages for July, so who employs him in July on what salary so he can play for us. He will need a contract somewhere for 2020/21 so may not be that keen on playing for us and risking injury in July just before contracts are handed out for 2020/21

Sido is perhaps unlikely to be offered a new contract here. If the league allow, we can offer to extend his contract by a month. But what happens if he decides he would rather not play in July risking injury while he looks for a new contract

Stewart presumably will be offered a new contract and if he declines a long term new contract may be offered a july contract if the league allow. But he may decide to reject both if he has a deal lined up elsewhere and doesn't want to risk injury.

Same potential issues for many players at all four clubs you would have thought.

• I think fully contracted players defaulting onto a rolling monthly contract would be fairly routine, from my limited understanding of it all.

But I have no idea how the Stockdale situation would work. Could he sign as a free agent on a short term deal?

I'd expect he'd be keen to play for us an impress in front of the cameras. The risk of injury vs. the reward seems a no brainer to me.

• All the loanees are sorted to play in the play-offs.

• I cannot picture a scenario in which a player, even if they knew they were going to be released, would not want to take part in a playoff campaign.

• Two Oxford players or staff tested positive today. Wonder if these games will even get played. https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/18514150.oxford-united-confirm-two-positive-coronavirus-tests/

• The top flight games seem to be going on despite positive tests recently.
    I do worry about the quality of the football if only part of the squad can train and others are self isolating

• If we get to the point where games are being PP due to players and or staff contracting coronavirus would we go up in third on PPG. That would be amazing shithousing at its best.

• This could get messy all over again if they don't, because surely the EFL can't just promote us without another round of voting and wrangling?

I have still not seen an explanation as to what happens if players have the virus when the games are scheduled - are they treated as injured? Are the games postponed? How many players need to test positive for the whole thing to become a farce?

• Surely there would some kind of contingency plan if that were the case?

• To me the July dates confirm that the EFL allowed the situation to drift on too long without being resolved. It would surely have been less costly and much neater to finish before the end of June. Still, it is what it is.

• @Shev said:
    This could get messy all over again if they don't, because surely the EFL can't just promote us without another round of voting and wrangling?

I have still not seen an explanation as to what happens if players have the virus when the games are scheduled - are they treated as injured? Are the games postponed? How many players need to test positive for the whole thing to become a farce?

Surely, given how obviously infectious the virus is, if any of a squad test positive, the whole squad needs to isolate? Thought that was the whole point of the govt's test, track and trace farce scheme.

• If you follow the government guidelines it is pretty clear that if you have possibly contracted Covid-19, as long as you can make a fifty mile round trip in your car without specs you are okay to return to work.

• @Jonny_King said:
    You can buy a one day Sky Sports pass on Now TV for £10.

Get the one month version mate. £34 which will hopefully get 3 games for us, 12 other playoff games and loads of premier games (any of the moaners about those need not bother starting here...).
    Plus any of the lesser sports also on...

• Friday and Monday seems a bit tightly packed doesn't it?

• @Malone said:
    Friday and Monday seems a bit tightly packed doesn't it?

No different to a usual Saturday/Tuesday regime apart from an earlier Saturday kick off.
    They could have added a day or two though couldn't they. Thought they normally did in the playoffs

• not great for Darius, I'd imagine.

• Only Connect on Monday nights

• edited June 2020

Knowing Sido, he'll probably put in the performance of his life if he has to play in the second leg, and backheel in a 98th minute winner.

For Fleetwood.

• We have to hope that months without a game means even the normally rested players can do both games back to back.

You can't be resting someone for a final that might not happen.

• Just remember - Row Z Blooms

• Would anyone in the know be able to say whether it's worth getting the Sky Mobile monthly pass and then mirror the screen to a TV? I'm guessing the reduced price (£7 vs £34 for the 'all devices' monthly pass) is due to reduced screen resolution as much as anything else. Hopefully it would still be watchable mirrored from an elderly Android phone to a 32" tv screen (or even a 24" monitor if needs be).

• As mentioned previously if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers then you can exchange at a rate of £0.50 for £1.50 Now TV credit and you can then mirror/cast from your device. I use a Chromecast and it’s good resolution

• @ReadingMarginalista I'm pretty certain that you will not be able to mirror your android phone to a TV whilst watching the mobile app last time I tried they very successfully blocked it.
    However, a one month Sky Sports pass via Now TV for £34 should allow you to watch on a laptop connected via HDMI to a suitable TV.
    Alternatively just buy a Now TV stick with a one month Sky Sports pass and plug it directly into a TV MDMI socket. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JLGGGZ1/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_LT84EbHN5DZK0

A word of warning for anyone thinking of sharing their Sky Sport/Now TV allowed devices with other "family members". Remember that you are limited to the number of devices you can watch on at a time and the number you can register per month. Don't swap too much around that you leave yourself unable to watch on the 3rd!

• edited June 2020

Good knowledge @Twizz.

Presumably you can just mate up with someone and do the 2 watches at the same time option fairly comfortably? And trust that they won't be messing about using 2 at their end!

• @our_frank said:
    not great for Darius, I'd imagine.

Its ok we've got Phillips!

• I have seen a copy of the EFL’s match day protocol arrangements and it does include a reference to ifollow so it seems that service will be available as usual. However, I recommend waiting for an official announcement from the club.