Skip to content

Best away game ever?

2»

Comments

• @WycombeWire said:
    Brizzle Rovers away, not sure what year it was, 3-1 down with 20 odd minutes to play and winning 4-3!! Terry Evans I think scored the winner.

Was that in Bath?

• no it was at the Memorial Ground, round Christmas time 1996 I think, although it might have been 1997 come to think of it

• 21st Dec 1996 - just checked on the excellent COTN

• 3-Bognor Regis, winning the league as the mist drew in.

2-Alty in the FA Trophy semi final and the realisation that we were going to Wembley.

1-The miracle of Torquay. The most emotional day of my life bar none.

• edited May 2015

In no particular order: beating Torquay / loosing to L'pool / beating Preston at Wembley...with more to come

• Thanks everyone for your great responses, lets hope for a great evening on Thursday to add to our great list of special days watching the mighty chairboys. As Kenny Everitt (cupid stunts) would say. "i love you all"

• @StrongestTeam said:
    For a less obvious choice; Orient away, Rhino as caretaker manager, huge noise from our lot before the game "bring on the wycombe", pretty vital win if i remember correctly.

Top game, eletric atmosphere!

• @WycombeWire said:
    Brizzle Rovers away, not sure what year it was, 3-1 down with 20 odd minutes to play and winning 4-3!! Terry Evans I think scored the winner.

They were not happy that day, remember being in the corner with then throwing stuff off the steps

• They're never happy!

• Speaking of the west country neanderthals, the game we relegated them in their own back yard was a pretty good away game. Bulman scored from distance if I remember rightly - 2001?

• Yep, I remember when we relegated Rovers in 2001. Meaningless end of season game for us, post cup run. Bulman's goal was a beauty. Had to hide our colours after the game, as there were groups of Rovers fans looking to kick off. Some things never change eh!

• The memories of that night are certainly sweeter after last years shenanigans.

• Liverpool in the semi, There were a good couple hundred of us in the walkabout in brum the night before and drowned out the music at about 1am with Wycombe songs. I don't think many of us knew each other so it was brilliant when everyone joined in. The following day singing 'one game from Europe' in the pub after the first semi has got to be the best chant we have ever had.

That said, for drama Wimbledon away, out shadows every other game. We had more fans at that game than most of our home games this season.

• Fulham away in the Auto Glass Trophy, was one I remember as being pretty amazing. Another visit to the Twin Towers seemed a real possibility albeit in a lesser competition.

• Bognor & Leicester in very different ways were top class. Also Redbridge away was absolute liquid football in 91/92 when we stuffed them 5-0

• Beating Kiddiminster 1-0 at Aggborough in the 1982 Fa Trophy quarter final was a very special day.

• I wasn't there but Northampton away under Sanchez Stuart Roberts hat-trick?

• @Wycombe85 I didn't bother to hide my colours on the way out - the Rovers fans I encountered seemed more bothered about kicking off with the Swindon and Bristol City fans who had showed up in the away end!

• I can't see anything beating Wimbledon away, it really had everything.

• We're clearly not terrified enough of Rovers to try and get the FA bureaucrats to deduct them points.

Sorry I used the word bureaucrats. A direct translation for your little west cuntry brain would be something like: "Them slick old boys from the city ways who wear white shirts and thaaart"