Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @drcongo said:

Weirdly though, there seems to also be a loophole in the legislation that means as an employee you are allowed to take other paid work while furloughed from your regular employer. Which is all a bit mad when applied to professional footballers.

In most cases the employer won’t be paying the employee a single penny. So it is only reasonable that they should be free to pursue other work during that time. And it is important that they’re not allowed to do anything for the employer that has furloughed them.

Although well intentioned, there are a lot of issues with this scheme. I’m sure some companies will gaming the system by asking staff to keep working while on furlough and then offering to split the cost saving with them. And the instances above of football clubs using it to subsidise the playing staff wage bill are another example of it being a poorly targeted policy.

It might turn out to be the least bad choice among some unappealing policy options of course.

• @drcongo, I'd be really interested to know how you come to believe that you can do other paid work whilst furloughed?
    Speaking to someone at the weekend who has lost her self employed income and her husband has been furloughed so income dropped to £2500. He was adamant that he could not take other paid employment whilst on the furlough scheme.

• Answered my own question. It says in here you could get a second job, subject to certain conditions.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

• It’s basically up to your employer.

• Attached report robably a load of bollox, but Belgium have closed their season and it is thought other leagues will follow.

If Premier League closes can EFL continue?

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-statement-season-cancelled

• It's a load of bollox

• @mooneyman said:
    Attached report robably a load of bollox, but Belgium have closed their season and it is thought other leagues will follow.

If Premier League closes can EFL continue?

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-statement-season-cancelled

No chance some random Italian league fella would know before anyone else.

And his league seem to ludicrously be talking about a May return.

• "I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one"

I still don't get this outlook.

• edited April 2020

The only thing that ever so slightly concerns me is that Udinese and Watford have the same owners, but I agree it's probably a load of bollox.

• Likely just his own ramblings, but if it is cancelled it'll be sudden - they're hardly going to say they're considering voiding it in the lead up!

• Apologies and warnings over the quality of the messenger but if this is being considered - shafting suppliers, shedding debt like it wasn't all unsustainable to start with and rewriting rules on a grand scale it would be disgusting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/amp/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Why are Bolton & Rotherham in there?

• I think it’s the teams from the 2018/19 championship.

• That's why it says Championship 2018/19 at the top of the post

• @HolmerBlue said:
    That's why it says Championship 2018/19 at the top of the post

TBF at the top of the post it says, "This is how they were doing pre-corona", so I just assumed it was Feb' 20.

• How is it that Reading haven't been done by FFP, spending £40m on wages against revenue of £18m? I think those figures must be wrong.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Apologies and warnings over the quality of the messenger but if this is being considered - shafting suppliers, shedding debt like it wasn't all unsustainable to start with and rewriting rules on a grand scale it would be disgusting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/amp/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html?__twitter_impression=true

Sounds like ludicrous fantasy

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HolmerBlue said:

TBF at the top of the post it says, "This is how they were doing pre-corona", so I just assumed it was Feb' 20.

That's completely fair, you are correct... tbh I meant the tweet. My bad, didnt mean to come across in a bad way..... we all need to get out more !

• "Hopeful" and "assumption" are two critical words in that piece!

• Indeed - still hard to see any football before late summer - but at least the EFL seem consistent in wanting to get the season completed.

• The only clarity or certainty which that letter provides is clubs don't need to factor in players being "ready to play" until sometime after May 16th.

• They're also advising clubs to send players on holiday this month (by holiday they presumably mean sit at home and binge Netflix) as apparently there won't be time in August. Hmm... https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/efl-clubs-championship-league-one-two-schedule-coronavirus-a9457581.html

• @Twizz ”Ready to train”

• @Twizz said:
    The only clarity or certainty which that letter provides is clubs don't need to factor in players being "ready to play" until sometime after May 16th.

Given that I would say an absolute minimum of 14 days training is required before playing a competitive match, 1st June would be the earliest games could commence. 9 games plus play offs would take us to the end of July.

The above is assuming the matches are played behind closed doors as there is no way the Government will relax the restrictions on large gatherings by 1st June. Surely facilities will also need to be in place to test players and officials for the virus before each match. The player contract issue needs to resolved as well.

With the current sad level of daily deaths rates, I still can't see that this is all feasible.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@HolmerBlue said:

That's completely fair, you are correct... tbh I meant the tweet. My bad, didnt mean to come across in a bad way..... we all need to get out more !

No offence taken amigo. Been in the garden & out cycling most of the day, hence taking so long to reply. Definitely suffering from a lack of footie though!

• Even if you tested all these players and officials, you still need medical staff on standby at games too. Which removes them from more critical areas. Unless we've really seeing a huge drop in cases. Which would be brilliant, bur hard to see when we're not at the peak yet.

• Actually I think "ready to play" is the correct phrase @Sherrinford. There simply won't be time to get players back to match fitness when they resume training. They will already need to be there.
    The teams that can hit the ground running will have an advantage over any where the players have not maintained/achieved match fitness from the resumption.

• Semi fit players playing in empty stadiums for two months.

Doesn't strike me as much better than bunning this season off to be honest.
    Rob and gaz seemed to agree from that YouTube conference.