Skip to content

EFL set to suspend season

Comments

• Players get paid all year round as do admin staff. Eric is spot on, real problem is not so much lack of revenue from the relatively small number of games to end of season but lack of season ticket money to tide them through the off-season.

• The trouble is Rob C is banking on our last few home games being a sellout and is resourcing accordingly.

I don’t know if clubs have insurance against this type of thing, but I suspect not.

The silver lining here is one would hope the wealth of our owners puts us in a better position to ride out short term hardship than would have been the case under the Trust’s stewardship.

• I very much doubt the season will be voided but rescheduled fixtures may impinge on my planned short break at the end of May which is disgraceful.

• Good news/bad news, @Wendoverman
    Very unlikely that there will be football at the end of May
    Very unlikely you will be travelling far at the end of May either.

• @DevC said:
    Good news/bad news, @Wendoverman

I'm British and as such I go where I bloody well like. (It's only Dorset, which will be very quiet I'm assuming.)
    I think things will have quietened down (except on the news) by May and I fully expect us to finish in the play-off places.

• My suggestion would be to pause it, finish it at a later date an then start the 2020-2021 in 2021, with a tight fixture schedule? Could work??

• I think things will have quietened down (except on the news) by May and I fully expect us to finish in the play-off places.

Here's a little light reading: https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

• It may have taken the biggest public health crisis in a generation, but it's become clearer than ever that there are too many games on the football calendar.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It may have taken the biggest public health crisis in a generation, but it's become clearer than ever that there are too many games on the football calendar.

As I say, get used to it. Over-crowding, climate change, deforestation, poverty, ill-health and people eating anything with a face and so on, are all going to make these biggest crises in a generation more common!

• @glasshalfempty said:

@Malone said:
    What happened in the war times? Presumably that was just voided immediately?
    Some stuff transcends sport.

Would obviously be beyond gutting to hijack Wycombe's amazing season though, but if they do suspend for 3-4 weeks, it seems hard to believe it'll get played deep into June. You would start having knockons into the next season. Not to mention loads of clashes, events hired out into grounds, plans from everyone etc.

Do you really not know when the first and second world wars started?

I was meaning more that was it voided immediately, or was there any attempt to delay/pick back up etc.

• @Glenactico said:
    Don’t agree myself. I think the competition has to be completed, even if it involves a huge delay and subsequent condensing of the following season.

Perhaps I’m slightly bias given our remarkable league position.

Why wreck two seasons when you can just write this season off?

• Three rounds of games were played in the 1939/40 season before Germany's invasion of Poland and our subsequent declaration of war. By late spring 1945 when that war finally ended, I think they had pretty much given up any thought of continuing the aborted season.....

• I know the Premier League wanted a winter break, but this is ridiculous.

• What could work would be treating the next month as the equivalent of closed season, and then the month after as "pre season"

Then you'd just play 1 1/4 seasons continuously.

The big problem being there's no guarantee that it'll be safe in 2months.

But it strikes me as more sensible than stubbornly trying to finish this season, even if we dip into July and August to do so.

For one thing, while moving the Euros to 2021 sounds wise, it then means you can't go beyond a date at that end of the 2020/2021 season.

The idea of halving the games in the league next year has to be a non starter. I'd void this year over that.
    That'd ruin two seasons.

• @thedieharder said:
    My suggestion would be to pause it, finish it at a later date an then start the 2020-2021 in 2021, with a tight fixture schedule? Could work??

Starting in 2021 and still expecting it to be finished by May would be one hell of a "tight" fixture list :)
    3-4 games a week?

Unless you're meaning cutting loads of games out.

• edited March 2020

@Wendoverman said:

@DevC said:
    Good news/bad news, @Wendoverman

I'm British and as such I go where I bloody well like. (It's only Dorset, which will be very quiet I'm assuming.)
    I think things will have quietened down (except on the news) by May and I fully expect us to finish in the play-off places.

April and May will make today look casual!

• @Malone said:

@Glenactico said:
    Don’t agree myself. I think the competition has to be completed, even if it involves a huge delay and subsequent condensing of the following season.

Perhaps I’m slightly bias given our remarkable league position.

Why wreck two seasons when you can just write this season off?

Why wreck this season if it can be completed? I don't understand the all or nothing approach. Surely it would be better to complete a season that only has ten games to go and then adapt the following season's scheduling accordingly.

There are plenty of options for adapting the following season (whenever that might kick-off). Condense the fixture list, remove FA cup replays, remove the League Cup, remove the play offs, even splitting the league similar to what they do in the SPL. It is not ideal but it would allow for a credible season to be played and every team would go into the competition knowing what the rules are.

If we start voiding entire seasons it sets a precedent. The next time there is even the first possibility of similar outbreak teams and supporters will lose confidence that the competition is worthwhile, rendering the whole thing a redundant exercise.

At the moment it it obviously very hard to tell what will be possible and what won't. But I think voiding this season should be an absolute last resort.

• They will cancel the Euros and let all the domestic and European competitions run their course into the summer I reckon. Just have a slightly later start to the next season (avoiding friendlies?) to allow for the summer break. They are willing to tart about with things for the disgraceful Qatar Slave Labour World Cup, so I would argue this is more important.

• I agree with Glenactico. I think the current season has to be completed however long it takes. I believe EURO 2020 won’t happen as scheduled thereby creating time for all domestic competitions in Europe to be completed.
    The ramifications of declaring this season void, not least in a legal sense, are too complex to contemplate.

• As time goes on I fear it's just not going to feel that important

• Becoming a little farcical now. Southern league and Northern counties league have suspended. National league (conference) playing on. Western league will decide dreckly......

• Not a chance the league will be finished after June 30th when contracts expire, it'll either be finished by then, or much more likely, a decision made on whether to void the season or take existing standings forward... Out of those 2, voiding the season feels far more likely to me.

• If they void it, Leeds will sue the absolute shit out of the EFL.

• @eric_plant said:
    As time goes on I fear it's just not going to feel that important

Whatever your age and underlying health and whatever happens football-wise keep your loo rolls and masks handy and take care all Gasroomers!

• @glasshalffull said:
    I agree with Glenactico. I think the current season has to be completed however long it takes. I believe EURO 2020 won’t happen as scheduled thereby creating time for all domestic competitions in Europe to be completed.
    The ramifications of declaring this season void, not least in a legal sense, are too complex to contemplate.

What are the ramifications for not completing the season, exactly? Other than in terms of which teams enter next season's Champions League, which could, I guess, be decided upon by a short pre-tournament (if next year's competition goes ahead, which I doubt). Yes, it would be tough on the teams looking likely to be promoted, and very fortunate for the teams looking to be relegated... And some equitable way of splitting the bonuses for final league position will be required...

But given the huge worldwide implications this will have, finishing off a season really pales into comparison. We're heading for a economic catastrophe similar to the 1930s. Mass unemployment, swathes of companies collapsing, food shortages, potentially a whole generation wiped out. It will take a long time for society to return to normal after this and when it does there won't be many professional sport teams left, I'm afraid.

• Jesus Christ @aloysius stop watching the Syfy channel.

• edited March 2020

@aloysius said:

>

But given the huge worldwide implications this will have, finishing off a season really pales into comparison. We're heading for a economic catastrophe similar to the 1930s. Mass unemployment, swathes of companies collapsing, food shortages, potentially a whole generation wiped out. It will take a long time for society to return to normal after this and when it does there won't be many professional sport teams left, I'm afraid.

I bet you're great fun at parties...

• Unless you’re over 60 and/or have underlying health problems the only things to worry about are what to do on Saturday afternoons and where to buy loo paper or pasta.