Skip to content

Dom Gape chant

Reason for this post is I'm on a 2 month gardening leave and very bored....

I don't know about anyone else, but Dom Gape's chant makes me cringe. Does he deserve a new song?

Please watch the Liverpool fans singing Virgil van Dijk's song (link at bottom) and start at 1m47s. It makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up if anything. I realise we should be original but it's not the first time we have copied Liverpool.

Replace the lyrics with....

"He's our centre mid,
He's our number 4,
Watch him defffffeeeennnnd,
And we watch him score,
He will pass the ball,
To you on a plate,
It's Dominc Gape, it's Dominic Gape"

Watch "Virgil van Dijk song in Madrid!! Jamie Webster, Liverpool fans and Boss Night!!" on YouTube

Comments

• I too dislike the current chant for Dom Gape, largely because people started singing it the week after we had played Doncaster Rovers and their fans were singing it about John Marquis, albeit with "striker" in place of "midfielder". It was so obviously stolen and unoriginal which, along with the fact that it is not very good in any case, makes me cringe somewhat when it is sung also.

I don't think ripping off the Virgil van Dijk song would be any better, though.

• edited March 2020

Works apart from the fact he doesn't really score. The current one is incredibly shit and cringe.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Works apart from the fact he doesn't really score. The current one is incredibly shit and cringe.

He scored one! ? Van Dijk isnt known to be a goalscorer as such.

But yeah, I cant stand the current one. So thoughtless and very cringe.

• Am I alone (or just a deaf old sod) in not having the faintest idea how the current Dom song goes?

• edited March 2020

"Who's the best midfielder in the Football League? It's you, Dom, Dom, Dom, it's you Dom, Dom" (and then everyone seems to add a third "Dom" again though it seems wrong - it's Da do Ron, Ron, Ron, da do Ron, Ron - right?).

• Thanks @HCblue. Cringey indeed especially without Dirty Old Town!

• It's a shame Nnamdi Ofoborh hasn't had a sustained run in the side; his name is just made to be inserted into 'Give It Up'.

• "Oh Nnamdi, you came and you gave without playing"

• ha! excellent stuff

What are the words to the Jacobson chant? Never been able to work it out

• @thecatwwfc said:
    "Oh Nnamdi, you came and you gave without playing"

“I’m Nnamdi, buy me”

• "Jacobson, -son, -son, he is Wycombe's number three.
    Jacobson, -son, -son, he's a Blue like you and me.
    He can cross, he can pass, Jacobson is f*****g class
    When he's in the light/dark blue, he hates the franchise, too"

• @thecatwwfc That's no better than what we've got! Just a ripoff of Dirty Old Town, isn't it?

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @thecatwwfc That's no better than what we've got! Just a ripoff of Dirty Old Town, isn't it?

Ok, agreed that my one is no better (maybe slightly). I guess anything can sound good with 10,000 people singing it at once!

But the current chant has to change. It's enough to stop me going!

• @thecatwwfc I feel a bit like that when they start playing Sweet Caroline over the PA!

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @thecatwwfc I feel a bit like that when they start playing Sweet Caroline over the PA!

I'm with you there. That and "come on Eileen" are my two least favourite songs in the world. The hatred most likely fuelled by many late nights where they are the last two songs before the lights come on.

• Come on Eileen is indisputably the worst song ever. Closely followed by the wretched dirge that is UB40's version of Red Red Wine.

Dont mind a bit of Neil Diamond though. Including his version of Red Red Wine.

• @HCblue said:
    "Who's the best midfielder in the Football League? It's you, Dom, Dom, Dom, it's you Dom, Dom" (and then everyone seems to add a third "Dom" again though it seems wrong - it's Da do Ron, Ron, Ron, da do Ron, Ron - right?).

Surely best known as:

"Oh the Wycombe run, they do run run run, they do run run" sung by Colchester fans after the Valley End incident!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Come on Eileen is indisputably the worst song ever. Closely followed by the wretched dirge that is UB40's version of Red Red Wine.

Anything by Robbie Williams is the worst song ever

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Come on Eileen is indisputably the worst song ever. Closely followed by the wretched dirge that is UB40's version of Red Red Wine.

I'm afraid this is just opinion, not fact.
    Ub40 own that song.

• I personally hate that "this is not my beautiful wife" song by the Talking Heads. It should be sung by Beaker from The Muppets.

• Haha. Whilst we are here I'm going to throw another one into the mix....

"Summer of 69" actually makes me feel sick (whilst not actually being that bad a song). For those of you that frequented The Orchard nightclub, you will remember that this was regularly one of the last songs to be played.

• Why?
    Because you think a whole summer of that would be knackering?
    Or simply not like Bryan Adams?

• I cannot abide the Whitney Houston version of I will always love you. It’s the musical equivalent of someone rubbing polystyrene blocks together as far as I’m concerned.

• @Shev said:
    I personally hate that "this is not my beautiful wife" song by the Talking Heads. It should be sung by Beaker from The Muppets.

Interesting. As a huge Heads fan I’m kind of with you on that. Maybe not hatred but I don’t much care for it.

• Love shack by the B52's , a crime against the ears.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Love shack by the B52's , a crime against the ears.

100% this, and yet they did so many other great songs.

• We built this city on rock and roll - Starship.
    Also - anything by Meatloaf.

• I know I am in a minority amongst those who lived through the 1970s but I always hated (and still do) Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Danny Baker quite often mentions how much he dislikes Queen

(he's wrong, obviously)