Skip to content

Games to keep an eye on tonight

Comments

• One result which often gets overlooked when citing our best moments, was the 4-2 away win v Wolves in the League Cup in 1999 (possibly because it was sandwiched between the season after the 'great escape', and the season before the FA Cup semi final). After beating us in the first leg, they certainly weren't expecting to be turned over at home so spectacularly in the away leg...

• Jermaine McSporran's finest hour

• looked like a million pound player that night

• I'd put McSporran's performance that night up with the best I've ever seen from a Wycombe player.

• @FmG - great review, thanks for that. The "marketing" department could do with using this when trying to sell tickets.

Someone a lot more creative than me could surely use that plus recent episodes like "I was there when Beany scored", Southend at home this season etc, etc.

I feel a Chairboys montage with 19500 thousand images coming on, I may need a lie down...

• 2 billion images. Lorks a mussey!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd put McSporran's performance that night up with the best I've ever seen from a Wycombe player.

Not sure why it's suddenly sprung to mind but do you remember when Keith Scott signed for Swindon and we were all down in the dumps about losing our star striker and wondering what would happen next match against high flying Crewe?

Step up Tony Hemmings who put in a simply astonishing individual performance and, pretty much on his own, ran their team of superstars ragged

• @Commoner said:
    @FmG - great review, thanks for that. The "marketing" department could do with using this when trying to sell tickets.

Someone a lot more creative than me could surely use that plus recent episodes like "I was there when Beany scored", Southend at home this season etc, etc.

I feel a Chairboys montage with 19500 thousand images coming on, I may need a lie down...

I want to go up just for the montage.

• Correction, never seen my dad’s expression of surprise in writing but checked it out and it seems it’s Lawks a Mussy. Lord have mercy perhaps.

• @eric_plant said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd put McSporran's performance that night up with the best I've ever seen from a Wycombe player.

Not sure why it's suddenly sprung to mind but do you remember when Keith Scott signed for Swindon and we were all down in the dumps about losing our star striker and wondering what would happen next match against high flying Crewe?

Step up Tony Hemmings who put in a simply astonishing individual performance and, pretty much on his own, ran their team of superstars ragged

Was that the game where he ran half the length of the pitch, drew their goalie out of his area and scored from a stupidly tight angle? At least that's how I remember it.

• Thanks for that @FmG, it clearly evidences what I have often believed to be the case! Enjoying all of the great memories being re-lived on this thread.

• Question for the stats people: has any other team reached the semi finals of both cups while in the bottom two divisions?

I always tell people we’re the only club to have done it, because it feels likely.

• @drcongo said:
    Question for the stats people: has any other team reached the semi finals of both cups while in the bottom two divisions?

I always tell people we’re the only club to have done it, because it feels likely.

Just had a look and there is one other.

• Bradford?
    Chesterfield did the FA cup, Kevin Davies got a hat trick I think against Middlesbrough

• Nope! Although Bradford is close in a way.

• That would be Sheffield United in 2014(FA Cup) and the League Cup the following year, both in the third tier

• That's the one! Nine teams have made the FA Cup semi while in the third tier. Presumably no fourth tier side has ever managed it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/facupfactfile.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/third-tier-clubs-in-last-four-of-fa-cup/amp/

• And seeing as we were L2 when we got to the League Cup semi, I guess we win the tie-break with Sheffield United!

• You could add Spurs to that FA Cup list who won the Cup in 1901 as a Southern League team, before the creation of the 3rd division

• I'm going to guess Plymouth

• Oh, someone's already got the right answer

• Plymouth did make an FA Cup semi as a third tier team, sadly.

• Yep, 1984 v Watford, hence the guess

• Pompey v Dale tonight, a Pompey win sees them leapfrog us into 3rd ?

• Draw please. Also though I know Southend are resigned to the drop I hope they raise thei r game against Oxford for a rare win!

• Pompey play Arsenal on Monday night, don't they? Hopefully they're distracted by that.

• Pompey 1-0 up just before half time - a win puts them third

• Pompey win 3-0 and go third with WWFC now fourth due to inferior goal difference

• Dream's over lads

• While Gaz is doing his best to try and reduce any heat on tomorrow's game, not getting a positive result tomorrow could easily see us outside the playoffs before we play again.

Roll on a positive result then :)