Skip to content

Games to keep an eye on tonight

Coventry v Rotherham and Sunderland v Fleetwood are the biggies. Also Oxford v Accy and Pompey v MK. Draws in the first two and away wins in the other two (not that I will be willing MK on to win at all)? ?

Comments

• That's what i thought. If not draws then losses for those with games in hand. We can but dream.

• I'd be quite happy to see Cov and Sunderland win. I cannot see anyone catching Coventry.
    Would leave us one point behind both Rotherham and Sunderland with same games played. Would also mean Fleetwood would be five behind with only one game in hand.
    Any points that Portsmouth and Oxford drop tonight would be a bonus. I can see MK getting a result at Pompey...

• I think the autos will end up being two of Coventry, Rotherham and Sunderland, so maybe we should be looking more at the teams behind us. Didn't MK beat Pompey just before/after our game at Fratton Park? Accy are also coming good and very nearly held Rotherham to a draw on Saturday.

• MK have Pompey, Rotherham, Oxford, Peterborough and Fleetwood all coming up. It feels horrible and dirty hoping their current good form continues but if it helps us...

• We will win the League at Lincoln. No need to try and guess results

• @LX1 what a 21st anniversary special that would be! I think Emblen should join us at Lincoln in April...

• Not a bad set of results tonight all thongs considered. Those games in hand are not dealing us a killer blow as yet.

• That Sunderland equaliser was good for us

• Things. I never consider thongs at all!

• edited February 2020

Ipswich v Cov, Posh v Pompey and Sunderland v Gillingham all interesting ones on Sat 7th March - when we don't have a game - and Cov v Sunderland this Sunday.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Ipswich v Cov, Posh v Pompey and Sunderland v Gillingham all interesting ones on Sat 7th March - when we don't have a game - and Cov v Sunderland this Sunday.

Hotting up nicely - all points dropped there will be eagerly cheered.

• I am glad our rivals have finally started drawing against each other!

• Table definitely looks better in terms of games in hand now.

Portsmouth can only equal our points with a win, and Fleetwood, having drawn late on can only get within 1 point.

And still only 2 points off top!

• I know we were poor against Fleetwood, but their form recently has been outstanding and they were seconds away from winning at Sunderland last night. Puts their win at Adams Park into perspective.

• I think it makes that loss all the more annoying. It looks as though we may have caught them on a rare occasion when they weren't playing very well and we were too poor to take advantage of it

• That late Sunderland equaliser was certainly celebrated well in my living room!

• Mine too! Just been on the League One forum and guess what? Full of Sunderland fans moaning about Fleetwood ‘wasting time from as early as the 6th minute’.
    Sounds familiar.

• I'm beginning to believe in autos again; I don't know what's come over me!

• We'll soon all be on a level playing field and it will all be in our own hands as we say in cliche land.

• Anyone looking at that table would fully expect us to be the team to miss out, along with Fleetwood.

I just hope we do what Luton did last year and push on for the autos! When was the last time we had a season where we not involved in promo or relegation this far in?

If it was possible to measure excitement by club based on promo/relegation, cup runs, extraordinary games, trips to Wembley and big away games in the cup, we would surely be in the top 3 in the country over the last three decades...still amazes me we don;t get more bums on seats!

• Agree with your last paragraph Commoner.

• @Commoner said:
    If it was possible to measure excitement by club based on promo/relegation, cup runs, extraordinary games, trips to Wembley and big away games in the cup, we would surely be in the top 3 in the country over the last three decades...still amazes me we don;t get more bums on seats!

I'm obviously biased but I'm pretty certain that in my lifetime there can't have been a better team to support than us for precisely this reason. There's always something happening

(and it's usually quite loud)

• @eric_plant Agreed. However, I think you'd have to go a long way to beat Northampton Town 60's adventure. They went from Div 4 to Div 1 from 60-61 season to 64-65. Then were back in Div 4 for the 69-70 season!

Getting back to us, I think my top 20 memories would miss out some pretty big moments, I only started in 90-91 following us and only when my older brother (of 5 years) would bring his 11 year old brother along!

Where do you even start - Kidderminster FA Trophy, Runcorn FA Trophy, Col U goally scoring (not good but a memory), Coventry League Cup, Wolves in the snow, Leicester Browny & Essandoh, Emblen Lincoln, Maccelsfield 5-4 and Martin's volley, Cousins tackle, Wimbledon FA Cup both games, Motson in the snow and much much more. I'm sure there's been a thread on this before.

• We don’t do mid table mediocrity!

• @glasshalffull Although it seems churlish for a Wycombe fan to complain about time wasting by other teams, it's fair to say that Joey B certainly had his boys well drilled in the 'game management' department, which kicked in from the second they took the lead against us. So it's not surprising that such a sensitive bunch as our Mackem friends would find them a tad frustrating to watch, especially going behind so early in the game.

• @glasshalffull said:
    We don’t do mid table mediocrity!

Hope the formatting works, but a quick look back at our seasons since the FA Cup semi final. The year after seems to be the only relatively uneventful season (unless I have missed something)...

2000/01 D2 – 13th FAC SF
    2001/02 D2 – 11th
    2002/03 D2 – 18th Mathematically safe with 1 game to play
    2003/04 D2 – 24th Relegated
    2004/05 L2 – 10th Play-off chance with 3 games to play
    2005/06 L2 – 6th Play-offs
    2006/07 L2 – 12th LC SF
    2007/08 L2 – 7th Play-offs
    2008/09 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2009/10 L1 – 22nd Relegated
    2010/11 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2011/12 L1 – 21st Relegated
    2012/13 L2 – 15th Mathematically safe with 3 games to play
    2013/14 L2 – 22nd Stayed up on last day
    2014/15 L2 – 4th Play-off final
    2015/16 L2 – 13th Play-off places with 6 matches to play
    2016/17 L2 – 9th Spurs in FAC 4R, play-off contenders on final day
    2017/18 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2018/19 L1 – 17th Mathematically safe on last day of the season
    2019/20 TBC!

• The Wearsiders can taste automatic, so I reckon they will go hell for leather in every game in front of a crowd desperate to escape League One...I think the pressure will tell.

• Extraordinary when you look at it like that @FmG. Good work.