Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:
    The drummer stuff is regrettable, on form he's a great help to the atmosphere and it's clear he loves the club but he's had arguments all over the place and yesterday seemed to be more about him standing his ground than supporting the team, the second half was woeful all-round but him banging that bloody drum off the beat repetitively regardless of what was happening wasn't helping. It's like watching footy abroad when you have some kind of cheer squad that aren't even watching the game.

Been reading all the Facebook drummer stuff and for me it boils down to one simple question. Who does he love more? Himself or the club? The answer will point to the solution.

• edited December 2019

@Gerry47 said:
    What was with the kick off and restarts yesterday with Bloomfield kicking it back to Allsop on every occasion? That must have been on GAs instruction.
    It just felt to me that GA had no confidence in his sides ability to get a result.

A lot of first timers at AP yesterday who won’t be returning in a hurry on that performance. A real shame.

Gareth said in his post-match interview that he wanted to try and bypass Coventry, which was fine in principle, but it was a tad worrying that it took so long for us to change course and try and play through them - by which time it was far too late, of course.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Gerry47 said:
    What was with the kick off and restarts yesterday with Bloomfield kicking it back to Allsop on every occasion? That must have been on GAs instruction.
    It just felt to me that GA had no confidence in his sides ability to get a result.

A lot of first timers at AP yesterday who won’t be returning in a hurry on that performance. A real shame.

Gareth said in his post-match interview that he to try and bypass Coventry, which was fine in principle, but it was a tad worrying that it took so long for us to change course and try and play through them - by which time it was far too late, of course.

He's always been slow to change, I put it down to having firm favourite characters, not wanting to destroy players who are out of form and keeping the tight squad together, preferring to let them learn together and find solutions. I've been shouting at the bench more times than I care to remember but you have to take it all as a package, great club manager, how often do you see managers with more resource bemoaning lack of resource.

• Biggish crowd...must have been a hell of a lot of first timers who will never come back.

• I suspect there were hardly any first timers myself

• @Doob said:
    Regarding the ref, surely did us a favour in not showing Sido a red. I know the rule changed re last man and if being a penalty and that, but only if the defender makes a genuine attempt at a tackle. Didn’t look like much of an attempt to me, just a blatant trip.

Didn't seem deliberate to me, more totally oafish slow of reaction.

But yes, imagine a red on top!
    It was already a disaster the way Sido had the ball comfortably, somehow managed to play the world's worst and most dangerous backpass, then tripped their guy! Utterly mad.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Biggish crowd...must have been a hell of a lot of first timers who will never come back.

The type of fan who stops going at a poor performance will never be one you can keep though!

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Biggish crowd...must have been a hell of a lot of first timers who will never come back.

The type of fan who stops going at a poor performance will never be one you can keep though!

To be honest I was joking as @eric_plant I'm not as convinced as the original poster that the crowd was full of so many first timers who will never return myself.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

To be honest I was joking as @eric_plant I'm not as convinced as the original poster that the crowd was full of so many first timers who will never return myself.

There were a few behind me, squawking out of all sorts of moans and slagging everyone off.
    I hope they don't return in fairness! Or at least join the terrace where that sort of thing is normal.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    The drummer stuff is regrettable, on form he's a great help to the atmosphere and it's clear he loves the club but he's had arguments all over the place and yesterday seemed to be more about him standing his ground than supporting the team, the second half was woeful all-round but him banging that bloody drum off the beat repetitively regardless of what was happening wasn't helping. It's like watching footy abroad when you have some kind of cheer squad that aren't even watching the game.

Been reading all the Facebook drummer stuff and for me it boils down to one simple question. Who does he love more? Himself or the club? The answer will point to the solution.

I expect the sensible conclusion to this, will be Rob Couhig himself, who has met the drummer a few times already, taking him to one side, and telling him how he loves his "passion", but needs to "channel" it differently.

I can see the lad taking that a lot differently to being sworn at from a distance.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I admire anyone who can sing from minute 0 to 90 no matter what, but that's far easier said than done! The drum has been getting on people's nerves for some time and the club probably do need to act to avoid a flash point. In fact, didn't it already cause a little scuffle a month or two ago?

A video has circulated on YouTube of a neutral visitor to the terrace yesterday. It shows some ridiculous behaviour on the part of the drummer. I can quite understand how that was riling lots of people up in the terrace. That relentless drumming was not helpful or in any way necessary at 1-4 and frankly must have been annoying as hell. Sitting in the Frank Adams Stand I didnt appreciate prior to seeing that video the extent of people's anger but something must be done about that as it cannot continue. It would definitely put punters off standing anywhere within earshot.

• On that video did I see the guy with the tattooed head next to him? Wouldn’t want to debate the merits of incessant off the rhythm ‘drumming’ with him if it is drummer boys mate.
    With a cold snap forecast is there a chance his topless antics will give him a chill that might lay him up for a game or two?

• @DJWYC14 said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I admire anyone who can sing from minute 0 to 90 no matter what, but that's far easier said than done! The drum has been getting on people's nerves for some time and the club probably do need to act to avoid a flash point. In fact, didn't it already cause a little scuffle a month or two ago?

A video has circulated on YouTube of a neutral visitor to the terrace yesterday. It shows some ridiculous behaviour on the part of the drummer. I can quite understand how that was riling lots of people up in the terrace. That relentless drumming was not helpful or in any way necessary at 1-4 and frankly must have been annoying as hell. Sitting in the Frank Adams Stand I didnt appreciate prior to seeing that video the extent of people's anger but something must be done about that as it cannot continue. It would definitely put punters off standing anywhere within earshot.

Have you got a link I’m also in the Frank Adams and I don’t know what the problem is football is noisy

• 8 mins onwards

• Ah, not this one then

Which is notable only for some idiot moaning at Allsop for some reason for Sido's shenanighans on goal 2!

• It wasn't actually a great penalty, particularly having seen it from behind the goal, nowhere near the corner. Has Allsop ever saved a penalty for us?

Certainly no question that Sido was at fault for giving it away.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    On that video did I see the guy with the tattooed head next to him? Wouldn’t want to debate the merits of incessant off the rhythm ‘drumming’ with him if it is drummer boys mate.
    With a cold snap forecast is there a chance his topless antics will give him a chill that might lay him up for a game or two?

Can't go off appearance mate.
    He might be the nicest, most reasonable, open to chat, guy you've ever met.

Will leave you to ask though!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    It wasn't actually a great penalty, particularly having seen it from behind the goal, nowhere near the corner. Has Allsop ever saved a penalty for us?

Gape played a ludicrous ball across his own box a while back, but aside from those two, we don't usually leave anything to chance hoof wise! So it was just absolutely mad from Sido.

• edited December 2019

@DJWYC14 said:
    It wasn't actually a great penalty, particularly having seen it from behind the goal, nowhere near the corner. Has Allsop ever saved a penalty for us?

He saved one at Wimbledon last season after he'd given it away, but that might be the only one.

• I enjoy videos like that first one, made by neutrals who enjoy visiting other grounds. Perhaps because of their characters, one tends to get fair-minded appraisals of what they see. In that context, his observations about Tom's drumming appear meaningful.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    8 mins onwards

Thanks, difficult one, the guys love of the club is obvious and complaining about the noise at a football match seems a little counterintuitive but from the example it looks like he’s not taking the rest of the stand with him, maybe Rob could send him on a course.

• Maybe he could be like the American college drummers, and be allowed to march around the field at halftime for his drumming fix, in a big hat and tasseled uniform?

• John Majors 1994 criminal justice act to prohibit 'music' with a repertive beat, could that not be applied ? Originally designed to combat illegal acid house parties and raves, I wonder if tuneless non stop drumming,comes under this act ?

As an infamous member of the loakes park faithful used to yell at regular intervals.
    Aceeeeeeeeed !!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    On that video did I see the guy with the tattooed head next to him? Wouldn’t want to debate the merits of incessant off the rhythm ‘drumming’ with him if it is drummer boys mate.

He might be the nicest, most reasonable, open to chat, guy you've ever m> @BuckinghamBlue said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    8 mins onwards

Thanks, difficult one, the guys love of the club is obvious and complaining about the noise at a football match seems a little counterintuitive but from the example it looks like he’s not taking the rest of the stand with him, maybe Rob could send him on a course.

It's definitely brewing up into a real problem, as it needs to be remembered that these people moaning aren't the tea and biscuit old dullards like some of us. We purposely stand or sit miles away.

It's the rabble raising, chanty yoof that generally love noise and no rules!

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:

He's always been nice enough when I've briefly spoken to him.

• He's a nice guy, yes.
    Have to say that at Portsmouth, where he didn't get into the ground until about 3.15 or so, the atmosphere was totally flat until he arrived, then it instantly improved. Not sure there's as much of a problem with him at away games, as there's generally more and louder singing. At home though, it seems to me that for a lot of the time, there just aren't enough people singing, and those that do don't sing loudly enough. And no, I don't think the acoustics of the terrace are as big a problem as some like to make out. So Tom is drumming away, no-one joins in, and the atmosphere gets fractious.

• Amen @NewburyWanderer I hope we can sing up tomorrow and that we get an early goal to settle the nerves. Pulling together to get behind the team really helps.

COYB!

• My first reaction to the penalty incident was why didn't Rocky hang onto it, but it was a decent save and there was no need for Sido to make such a dog's breakfast of it. I'm not sure that they would not have still turned us over, but to go behind again so soon after the equaliser certainly did not help!

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:

He's always been nice enough when I've briefly spoken to him.

@NewburyWanderer said:
    He's a nice guy, yes.
    Have to say that at Portsmouth, where he didn't get into the ground until about 3.15 or so, the atmosphere was totally flat until he arrived, then it instantly improved. Not sure there's as much of a problem with him at away games, as there's generally more and louder singing. At home though, it seems to me that for a lot of the time, there just aren't enough people singing, and those that do don't sing loudly enough. And no, I don't think the acoustics of the terrace are as big a problem as some like to make out. So Tom is drumming away, no-one joins in, and the atmosphere gets fractious.

We're talking about the drummer's "Mate", not the drummer!

There's absolutely no doubt the drummer is a nice guy, but also has his difficulties, so understanding won't b at the levels of a lot of people.

• @Wendoverman said:
    My first reaction to the penalty incident was why didn't Rocky hang onto it, but it was a decent save and there was no need for Sido to make such a dog's breakfast of it. I'm not sure that they would not have still turned us over, but to go behind again so soon after the equaliser certainly did not help!

Good point, i'd forgotten the bit just before.
    He's going through a little period of his saves going straight back into dangerous areas.

Need to get back to the all out blocking machine throughout the team that we were before Oxford.