Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• I am developing a persecution complex about the on field decisions. I understand it’s difficult to take an unbiased view but even though Coventry were worth the win yesterday we were getting no favours from the ref or linesman I felt I was watching a junior football match were one of the opposition dads was having a go at refereeing

• I thought the ref was inconsistent in that with every incident it seemed they got a little chat while we seemed to get a card. Lino in front of the beechdean was useless with some bizarre throw-in decisions. But Coventry were well worth their win.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Exceptional team ? Were a laughing stock ..... we need players in and fast !!!

Disappear when we're winning...you disappear when we're winning...

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought the ref was inconsistent in that with every incident it seemed they got a little chat while we seemed to get a card. Lino in front of the beechdean was useless with some bizarre throw-in decisions. But Coventry were well worth their win.

Another bizarre refereeing performance yesterday. Kashket was ignored by him for much of the game with some random decisions leading to frustration. David Wheeler summed up the refs petformance perfectly with his reaction to bis booking.

It didn't affect the result but hopefully one day the standard of refereeing with turn a corner

• I’ll be interested to see how the Ipswich game is officiated

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought the ref was inconsistent in that with every incident it seemed they got a little chat while we seemed to get a card. Lino in front of the beechdean was useless with some bizarre throw-in decisions. But Coventry were well worth their win.

Lino in front if the Beechdean was constantly behind play all game.

• One thing to keep in mind is the size of the squad and injuries at the moment.

Wycombe have a squad of 25 players.

2 of those players are goalkeepers:
    Ryan Allsop and Cameron Yates

2 of those players are out on loan:
    Craig Mackail-Smith and Jacob Gardiner-Smith

We have 4 players on loan:
    Giles Phillips, Paul Smyth, Rolando Aarons and Nnamdi Ofoborh

Squad number is 23 players (excluding the players out on loan).
    2 goalkeepers and 21 outfield players.

There are 3 players injured at the moment:
    Dom Gape, Jack Grimmer and Fred Onyedinma

The above mentioned injured players are in my mind key players; Ainsworth would pick them for his starting XI.

Curtis Thompson has also been injured this season, along with Paul Smyth and Rolando Aarons. Darius Charles can´t play every game.

Could there also be an imbalance in the squad with regards to positions?
    We have usually played some sort of 4-3-3, using 3 midfield players and 3 attacking players.

If the squad is categorized it could look like this:

GK:
    Ryan Allsop
    Cameron Yates

Defence:
    Sido Jombati
    Joe Jacobson
    Anthony Stewart
    Jamie Mascoll
    Giles Phillips
    Jack Grimmer
    Darius Charles

Midfield:
    Dom Gape
    Alex Pattison
    Matt Bloomfield
    Curtis Thompson
    Nick Freeman
    Nnamdi Ofoborh

Attack:
    David Wheeler
    Scott Kashket
    Paul Smyth
    Adebayo Akinfenwa
    Fred Onyedinma
    Alex Samuel
    Rolando Aarons
    Josh Parker

In defence we have 7 players for 4 positions.
    Charles can´t play every game - can Sido and Phillips cover the central role? Can Ofoborh play as a central defender?
    Do we need a another central defender?
    Or is a back up for the right back position more urgent?

In midfield we have 6 players for 3 positions.
    Gape is out injured and Thompson seems to be carrying an injury.
    Seem to be OK here?

In attack we have 8 players for 3 positions.
    Onyedinma is injured, Aarons seems to be injury prone and Smyth has just returned from injury.
    Will Kashket be banned?

• Took some time to reflect on yesterday.......
    We were poor and City were excellent, as someone earlier said it is surprising they hadn't won on the road until yesterday, I'd put them up there with posh and PNL as the best sides we've played so far. Mind you look at the other results, some surprises there too and I don't expect many in the league thought we'd get a thumping at home yesterday. We should not overreact, it was an exceptionally bad day at the office but those happen. We are still top of the league, were at Christmas and will still be at the end of the decade and effectively safe from relegation which I think all of us would have taken quite happily pre season.
    I'm not going to single out any players, collectively we were not at the races, it happens and hopefully Gaz will get it sorted for the Ipswich game and a few names will be back in the side.

Also had a good chat with Rob and Missy in the Vere after the game.

Overall very disappointing but.....we are.....Top of the league, top of the league, we're Wycombe Wanderers we're top of the league!
    COYB

• edited December 2019

As good as Coventry were, I don't think it's any coincidence that the defence went to shit in the first game Charles and Grimmer have both missed. We've not won any of the three games Charles has missed since re-signing (1-1 v Blackpool and 1-1 v Accrington were the other two) - although they have all come only a few days after the previous game. We also average 2.17 PPG with Grimmer at RB and 0.75 with Sido there - small sample size in the case of the latter but still quite telling. RB needs to be the priority in Jan; I was worried when we didn't sign a proper understudy to Grimmer in the summer and we're now seeing why we should have done. If we are serious about continuing to push for a play-off finish - which I think is still very much achievable - then another CB wouldn't go amiss, but I'm not sure we'd be able to bring in a particularly senior one?

• Can we all agree that we are indeed top of the league - on merit, given the fact we've played everyone else now - and move on? Singing it on the terrace (or away stand) while losing, as has been the case the past three games, is becoming rather empty. We can find other ways to encourage the team, can't we?

And don't get me started about chanting "Sing when you're winning..." straight after the equaliser yesterday (which wasn't remotely true, btw, yet was being sung with primitive fervour by many around me) had a very hollow feel less than two minutes later.

• Regarding the ref, surely did us a favour in not showing Sido a red. I know the rule changed re last man and if being a penalty and that, but only if the defender makes a genuine attempt at a tackle. Didn’t look like much of an attempt to me, just a blatant trip.

• Good post @raglan

Myself personally, I just think we need more defensive back up, not at all convinced by any of the back ups atm... and as soon as one of our main 4 defenders are missing, we're in trouble.

Seriously hope Grimmer is back soon and can stay fit.

• @Wendoverman said:

I will say however that he's one of the few refs that has ever given any decision in Akinfenwa's favour, I think he gave us 2 free kicks off the back of incidents Akinfenwa was involved in, which pretty much never happens.

I thought the Kashket penalty call seemed worthy of more, but then Kashket does occasionally dive (he certainly did v Portsmouth on Boxing Day).

• JJ might have got a straight red on another day

• edited December 2019

I was almost right in line and it looked like a dive from Kashket for me.

• @NorsQuarters said:
    The drummer reacted to verbal abuse by upping the volume and on the back of the drubbing on the pitch emotions in the crowd ran high. Is there any way we can have a drumming section or limited time period or do people think the only answer is to cut it out completely?

Not many people were up for chants today and it seems Tom may have overcompensated with constant noise. He does it to get behind the lads but I see how it can be too much on a Sunday arvo. New years day may see a fair few nursing hangovers also...

The club needs to find an acceptable solution before it does kick off, sad to see such a split in sections of support who obviously care deeply about our club. I do hope an amicable compromise can be reached asap.

Are we seriously moaning about people getting behind the team??? Is that what it's come to? I don't particularly like the drum but the guy is only getting behind the team. If 5,000 people did that week in week out, it would be like playing with 12. Some premiership/championship sides' fans don't stop singing even if their side is 4-1 down.

If you don't like the noise.........Woodlands/iFollow. It's football....it's meant to be noisy!

• It's meant to be noisy, not irritating. The dull thud of a lone drum throughout the second half when everyone was understandably not singing only compounded the misery yesterday.

• Coventry do seem to love playing against us! They played with a confidence and swagger, that I assume has been missing up to now considering it was their first away victory.

Not a good day for us, we looked tired and jaded, whilst they looked fresh and sharp following their Christmas break. Too many key players missing and some glaring individual errors.

I'm more optimistic about Ipswich than I ever was about the Coventry game. Would be great to have some of the injured players back soon though. Nice that whatever happens we'll still be top!

• I understand that it's miserable when things don't go our way. However, surely the term "supporter" means you are there to support your team? Otherwise you're just there to watch a game of football. Why aren't we getting behind the team when they need it the most?

• I admire anyone who can sing from minute 0 to 90 no matter what, but that's far easier said than done! The drum has been getting on people's nerves for some time and the club probably do need to act to avoid a flash point. In fact, didn't it already cause a little scuffle a month or two ago?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I understand that it's miserable when things don't go our way. However, surely the term "supporter" means you are there to support your team? Otherwise you're just there to watch a game of football. Why aren't we getting behind the team when they need it the most?

Bluntly, the drumming we are discussing is incessant, unsympathetic, so loud as to suppress most alternative catalysts to singing/ supporting and, without wishing to be unkind, not very good rhythmically. Were it one person singing incessantly, there would, I think, be no serious objection.

• I couldn’t face the Gasroom until today. On the whole reasonably balanced comments, we were well beaten by the better team on the day, with the mitigation of missing key players compounded by errors leading to goals - but credit to Coventry for pressurising us into those errors.

It has strengthened my view about how critical Darius has been to our rise this season though. Not sure we wouldn’t have lost with him playing but I doubt we’d have been thrashed quite so comprehensively.

One point I’ve not seen mentioned is that I thought the first 45 minutes was Bayo’s best for a long time, probably helped by a referee (despite his overall inconsistency) who didn’t automatically assume everything he did was a foul.

Second half Coventry adapted better by the apparent ploy of getting 3 or 4 players around him every time the ball went in the air. Pity we couldn’t better exploit the space that gave others.

I was also impressed with Parker’s cameo. I thought he played intelligently when he came on (something we lacked at times yesterday).

A final word about Sido. I genuinely love him as a footballer but accept his reading of the game at right back and levels of concentration can be lacking at times. Can’t we play him up front? The 10 minutes or so after he gave away the penalty when he seemed to want to make amends by scoring and playing up front was the highlight of the game for me

• @bookertease I also thought Parker looked decent when he came on...

• @thecatwwfc said:

If you don't like the noise.........Woodlands/iFollow. It's football....it's meant to be noisy!

Yep that's right...if you don't like what one true supporter and his mates are doing **** off and watch it on the telly.

• Agreed, best i have seen Parker play.

• @Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Yep that's right...if you don't like what one true supporter and his mates are doing **** off and watch it on the telly.

A bit harsh @Wendoverman. Suffering from post Christmas crisp deprivation?

• The drummer stuff is regrettable, on form he's a great help to the atmosphere and it's clear he loves the club but he's had arguments all over the place and yesterday seemed to be more about him standing his ground than supporting the team, the second half was woeful all-round but him banging that bloody drum off the beat repetitively regardless of what was happening wasn't helping. It's like watching footy abroad when you have some kind of cheer squad that aren't even watching the game.

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

A bit harsh @Wendoverman. Suffering from post Christmas crisp deprivation?

possibly beer OD @mooneyman and let's face it crisp deprivation unlikely over the holidays!

• @bookertease Yes, completely agree, Bayo was excellent in the 1st half. Coventry dealt with him much better in the 2nd half though.

• What was with the kick off and restarts yesterday with Bloomfield kicking it back to Allsop on every occasion? That must have been on GAs instruction.
    It just felt to me that GA had no confidence in his sides ability to get a result.

A lot of first timers at AP yesterday who won’t be returning in a hurry on that performance. A real shame.