Skip to content

Kashket charged with betting offences.

Comments

• @floyd said:
    I’ve wondered the same thing. Perhaps our increased media attention jogged someone’s memory. Perhaps he turned himself in.

Betting companies have algorithms or something that can spot trends sometimes over quite a long period and if they started to think there was something dodgy going on and he was logged on as himself and had other accounts it may have taken some time to unravel but...it may not have needed anyone to dob him.in.

• edited December 2019

So the response to the charge to be in by tomorrow.

Do we expect the FA to be efficient enough to come up with the punishment by either late tomorrow or early on the 1st? To rule him out of Ipswich?

• That'll be good then! Sneak him in for one more game!

• I would imagine it will take a good two or three weeks to decide and allow time for an appeal. There may be the option of a personal hearing as well. I reckon his ban won’t start until at least the 3rd week in January. Hopefully no more than 6-8 weeks unless he was betting on his own team

• Pity the process is not governed by VAR and the EFL, as by the time VAR finally verified he was definitely standing in the betting shop, and the EFL pulled the discipline decision out of their Random Punishment Generator, the season would already be over.

• FA Cup rights sold to Bet365. You can watch them for free if you open an account. A sign, I think we can all agree, of the seriousness with which the FA are taking the problem of gambling in the game and amongst young men generally. :smile:

• Have they been streaming since 2017 or only recently?

• Martin Calladine's book on the state of modern football and what it can learn from the NFL, 'The Ugly Game', is absolutely brilliant btw.

• Aaah...there you go. Fake news and I fell for it. No Gambler me. Relax everyone. Six year deal ending in 2024 so I suppose it's been going on since 2018. But I agree with second part of tweet.

• Today was the first I'd heard of it.

• Pretty sure I watched the Leatherhead match through Bet365 which was 2017/18 season I think

• Tbh, Sky Bet streamed Ipswich away, which surprised me but is the kind of game they've probably been showing for a while.

• Statement from the FA website in 2017 :

'The Football Association has announced that it has ended its commercial partnership with Ladbrokes.

At May's board meeting, it was agreed that The FA would end all sponsorships with betting companies starting from the end of the 2016-17 season.

The decision was made following a three-month review of The FA’s approach to it as a governing body taking betting sponsorship, whilst being responsible for the regulation of sports betting within the sport's rules.

I suppose the streaming rights isn't sponsorship....???

• Never mind all this gub, when are they going to get on with Kashket's situation?

Maybe they'll wait until the summer, and let him serve the ban in the close season ;)

• edited January 2020

They are just reporting it in BBC RAdio news so I assume it has actually just become news! Perhaps Jacob Rees-Mogg or Nigel Farage own Bet365...

• I really don't see the problem with betting sites streaming games, you don't even have to place a bet - and you don't have to watch every game either.

Been going on for years now, and it's usually games which wouldn't have been on available anywhere if they weren't there, or are also available on other platforms anyway , rather than "losing" TV games.

• I'm pretty certain for the Bet365 streaming you need to open an account WITH a deposit to watch (I don't think this was the case for when I watched the Ipswich game on SkyBet). I assume you can withdraw the deposit when you are up and running, but still......

• Removing gambling company money from football might well be the moment it all finally implodes but they've removed cigarette and alcohol advertising and someone fills the void. What industry takes over?

I don't think the current level of advertising and influence that gives is right. What worries me more is how very few younger fans see a problem as they have quite literally been bought up inside that bubble.

Offering free access to watch a game on your phone for signing up to a betting app is not right though is it?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Removing gambling company money from football might well be the moment it all finally implodes but they've removed cigarette and alcohol advertising and someone fills the void. What industry takes over?

Vaping

Removing gambling company money from football might well be the moment it all finally implodes but they've removed cigarette and alcohol advertising and someone fills the void. What industry takes over?

I don't think the current level of advertising and influence that gives is right. What worries me more is how very few younger fans see a problem as they have quite literally been bought up inside that bubble.

Offering free access to watch a game on your phone for signing up to a betting app is not right though is it?

There's a big difference between chemically harmful substances and an activity which a small minority have addiction issues with.

I don't think it's ideal having games streamed on betting sites, but I don't think all betting sponsorship should disappear (even if it needs to be much more regulated).

You're right betting is almost ubiquitous amongst the "youth" at football (I'd include myself), but anecdotally people understand the difference between fun and dependance, the ads on that have been fairly relentless. Is putting a couple of quid on every Saturday a problem? Or adding to the experience of some?

• I must admit I don't mind either way sponsorship-wise...some people are addicted to their phones apparently. Or cakes. Few businesses are totally harmless to everyone. It's the nose in the air claims about distancing yourself from gambling to look like you give a stuff when you're not really that irritates me. I would rather they said IMG made us a much better offer than Ladbrokes.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Vaping

Interesting. I think vaping will be major health concern inside 5 years and will have been stopped inside 10 years.

@chairboyscentral said:

Vaping

Interesting. I think vaping will be major health concern inside 5 years and will have been stopped inside 10 years.

Who knew that sticking smoke in your lungs regularly from whatever source could be unhealthy? I hear that injecting nicotine straight into your eyeball is best. They will never allow that in pubs though...

• Wonder how long before energy drinks get the heave ho from sport sponsorship.

• We've been pretty lucky with shirt sponsors in recent times. Loans.co.uk was maybe the last truly objectionable one?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I must admit I don't mind either way sponsorship-wise...some people are addicted to their phones apparently. Or cakes.

Or crisps!

• We need to get Greggs on board.

• @Wendoverman said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Vaping

Who knew that sticking smoke in your lungs regularly from whatever source could be unhealthy? I hear that injecting nicotine straight into your eyeball is best. They will never allow that in pubs though...

You don’t go into the sort of pubs I do then...

• Haven't the authorities already stopped 'unhealthy' food brands from sports advertising?