Skip to content

Kashket charged with betting offences.

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    He can play the next 2 games then, and then we're hoping any precedent is more the 6 week side of things, then the Joey Barton huge ban route.

It all depends if the bets were involving his own team I suppose. That'll definitely add severity.

I doubt he'll be in the squad for the next game - for his own good tbh. The kind of reaction he'd get from the crowd is sadly inevitable.

Not sure. With Bayo and Fred out, we might actually need to play him.
    It depends if he can keep his mind on it.

Did this charge just drop yesterday/today, or has it been underlying for a few days as well...

• Well, Bolton showed that there should be no punishment when someone has suffered enough, right?.....er, right? (crickets)

• Read this really interesting piece on the fight against match-fixing a while ago https://www.wired.co.uk/article/football-betting-match-fixing-odds-sportradar

• @eric_plant Couldn’t agree more with you about football & betting companies. I enjoy a day at the races & a flutter or two but football has become absolutely swamped by betting companies. I’ve always found it really odd when Football League teams have Far Eastern betting companies emblazoned on their shirts in a completely different script. Perhaps the football authorities need to be done for “aiding & abetting a chargeable offence”.

• I doubt the our lot will slate him...and a big team like Pompey will be too busy moaning about Allsopp and discussing not wanting to watch this every week...

• edited December 2019

@Wendoverman said:
    I doubt the our lot will slate him...and a big team like Pompey will be too busy moaning about Allsopp and discussing not wanting to watch this every week...

Yes, I can't imagine Portsmouth fans would give him much of a thought to be honest.
    Individually getting after a player is more with high profile players isn't it.
    Or those involved in serious criminality who return at our level like Lee Hughes etc

• Also if any ban does not start right away GA might want to play him while he can!!

• It's not our lot I'm worried about, just any opposition fans given the chance to slate a player will grab it with both hands.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It's not our lot I'm worried about, just any opposition fans given the chance to slate a player will grab it with both hands.

Being rapey, killing kids in car crashes, drink driving or you wife grassing people up to the papers is a bit easier to get at a player than betting innit?

'You've made a few pounds insider dealing...'

'Does your bookie know you're out...?'

Not going to end in tears probably...

• No, it won't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

• fiver on Scotty to score... :smile:

• As someone who works in the betting industry, sadly he has dug his own grave and jumped two footed into it. No player employed by any club, whether it be a big club like Liverpool or a semi pro team way down the pyramid is allowed to bet on football and this is made emphatically clear to the players so that there is no element of doubt.

Furthermore, I have a duty that if I know of a footballer betting on football I must report it. If I don’t and it turns out I turned a blind eye to it then I will be sacked. That’s how serious it is taken.

Whether a player is betting on his own team or not is not the issue.

For example player A phones his mate player B at another club for a chat. Player B might tell his mate that they have 6 players out injured for the next game and so player A thinks ok I will bet on their opposition to win. He is not directly betting on his own team, but is betting gleaned on information obtained that is not generally known, kind of ‘insider trading’ if you like.

The book will be thrown at him and rightly so.

Just turning to another point one or two posters have turned their posts into attacks against the betting companies and industry one even calling betting companies ‘scum’.

Total nonsense from people who haven’t got a clue frankly. By that logic do we call all pubs or supermarkets ‘scum’ because they sell alcohol? I am guessing these people are not campaigning for Sainsbury or the Dog & Duck to be refused advertising space or to be closed down.

• If your only defence is "yeah but other thjgs ruin people's lives too" then it might be a sign you're struggling to justify it

My problem with betting companies at the moment is the bombardment of advertising that you are hit with if you want to watch football. I'm not in favour of prohibition but I would certainly ban all advertising in the same way as has been done for the tobacco industry

And they need to start paying their fair share of tax as well. It's an absolute disgrace that they can register offshore and pay no tax towards, for example, treatment of addicts whose lives have been destroyed by their product

But you'll probably sat well yeah well amazon don't pay tax and I bet (!) you've bought the odd book

• edited December 2019

Fair other side of the argument @Dickie.
    Personally, I'm totally against gambling, but then I'm totally against drinking too. But you have to accept people are free to do either if they so wish. (not footballers obviously, although I still think it'd be seen as a worse crime if he has bet on his own team)

I think the chaps are making the point that advertising is so rife for betting in football, whereas booze advertising is much clamped down on these days.

Would love to know how Kasket's betting has come to light 3 years on!
    Presumably he was doing it all in his own name online?!
    But how has it been discovered now?

• @Dickie, while you make a number of valid points and I wouldn't call the betting industry 'scum'. To reply to comment about alcohol sellers it's also the case that the FA aren't sanctioning players who have a drink socially (yet).
    You are correct that the FA stance on betting is not directed towards the players well being but towards protecting the integrity of the market so that they can continue to attract sponsorship and advertising from betting companies.

• It was me who called betting companies scum, and I’ll stand by it. An entire industry designed to remove money from poor people and funnel it to the already rich, destroying lives along the way, can honestly go fuck itself. I’ve spent the vast majority of my working life in two industries: advertising where I refused to work for betting companies (or oil, fags or Murdoch) which I left because even then I could feel my soul eroding, and digital media where I still am now and can see the lengths gambling companies will go to to “gamify” the experience within their apps to produce those little endorphin bursts that will keep users coming back for more. I’ve got nothing against you personally @Dickie, you’re an excellent poster on here, but you’re basically working for the baddies.

• I have gambled on horses for around 40 years so regularly visit betting shops. A more serious problem are the gaming machines which really do destroy people. I see some people (particularly women) in the shops gambling £100 in a matter of minutes.

However I agree there should be much more control and betting tax reintroduced to pay for organisations like gamblers anonymous and ALL advertising banned on TV and all sporting sponsorship outlawed. Unfortunately though it ain't going to happen.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Also if any ban does not start right away GA might want to play him while he can!!

Maybe GA should send him to GA.

• @Dickie said:
    As someone who works in the betting industry, sadly he has dug his own grave and jumped two footed into it. No player employed by any club, whether it be a big club like Liverpool or a semi pro team way down the pyramid is allowed to bet on football and this is made emphatically clear to the players so that there is no element of doubt.

Furthermore, I have a duty that if I know of a footballer betting on football I must report it. If I don’t and it turns out I turned a blind eye to it then I will be sacked. That’s how serious it is taken.

Whether a player is betting on his own team or not is not the issue.

For example player A phones his mate player B at another club for a chat. Player B might tell his mate that they have 6 players out injured for the next game and so player A thinks ok I will bet on their opposition to win. He is not directly betting on his own team, but is betting gleaned on information obtained that is not generally known, kind of ‘insider trading’ if you like.

The book will be thrown at him and rightly so.

Just turning to another point one or two posters have turned their posts into attacks against the betting companies and industry one even calling betting companies ‘scum’.

Total nonsense from people who haven’t got a clue frankly. By that logic do we call all pubs or supermarkets ‘scum’ because they sell alcohol? I am guessing these people are not campaigning for Sainsbury or the Dog & Duck to be refused advertising space or to be closed down.

I understand the rules but gambling is an illness, once your heads gone you’d bet on anything at the time and worry about it later.

For me the gambling industry is a joke, take the mugs (myself included) money all day but ban anyone who shows a bit of profit or just beat them at the prices etc is wrong.

A lot of people can enjoy a flutter but more and more are falling into the trap, we have a meeting available to us in Liverpool 6 nights a week for gambling (GA).

• Some interesting thought provoking responses to my earlier post.

Just to address a couple of the issues raised firstly regarding how his gambling was allowed to continue for an extended period, as I said earlier I have a duty to report if I know a footballer is betting on football.

At the time of placing these bets, Scott Kashket was a little known occasional appearance for Leyton Orient type of guy, in football league circles about as low profile as it would be possible to get. Either placing bets in shop he would be highly unlikely to be recognised, if betting online there would appear to be no database marrying professional footballers up to betting accounts. Possibly as he became slightly more well known with his move to us conversely it would seem his increased profile has led to some form of recognition either visually or through his name being recognised on an online account.

Secondly, I take the point about saturation coverage of advertising particularly during live sporting events. It obviously works or else they wouldn’t do it, but rightly or wrongly football has jumped into bed with the gambling companies, and in many instances the gambling companies monies are keeping the football clubs heads just above water. If they banned association with betting companies would other more ‘ethical’ companies step into the breach? Maybe a time will come in the future where we find out and perhaps the answer won’t be great for the football family future.

Look I get gambling is not to everyone’s liking or acceptance and each to their own I have never smoked but won’t look disapprovingly at those who do. To my mind it is well policed and there are safeguards built in to try and help problem gamblers but in my experience too few people are prepared to reach out to be helped in the first place, and when I have approached people I have more often than not been readily brushed off.

It is certainly not a perfect industry, what industry is, but in my view should not be viewed as, dare I say it, the dark arts as others seem to.

Still, as I said at the start, it has been interesting to read other viewpoints on the subject.

• @Dickie said:

The book will be thrown at him and rightly so

You know what, when the owner of a better company pays herself a quarter of a billion pounds for a years work, I have zero sympathy if footballers might tip the odds slightly away from the bookers and towards there favour. But that’s just me.

Actual match fixing they deserve to have the book throw at them

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/21/bet365-denise-coates-paid-herself-an-obscene-265m-in-2017

• @Dickie said:

Still, as I said at the start, it has been interesting to read other viewpoints on the subject.

Interesting to read yours too, thanks. And merry Xmas!

• I don't think any business can be seen as squeaky clean. I know people who drink and gamble responsibly and I know people who have died or have fallen on hard times because they can't. Advertising regulation and proper taxation would be step in the right direction but as for footballers a lot of them are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and have too.much time on their hands. A fine and a ban are the only ways I think to sort them out...but look at Scott Davies he obviously did not bet on football (or get caught anyway) but still managed to ruin his life with gambling. A dilemma. Hope everyone's got what they wanted from Santa and are keeping their money in their pockets today!!

• @drcongo and a merry Christmas to you too.

Let’s face it whatever our background, politics, race, religion etc we are all united in one love for Wycombe Wanderers and today we sit 7 points clear at the top of league 1.

Let’s reflect on the unlikeliness of that given what the scenario was looking like in the summer and revel in our common joy.

• It was a while ago I wonder who dobbed him in

• Not Dobbo, that’s for sure! Perhaps Dobbin, as it’s pantomime season.

• I’ve wondered the same thing. Perhaps our increased media attention jogged someone’s memory. Perhaps he turned himself in.

• is bayo back for tomorrow? thought it was only a 1 match ban ? also is there any indications on when Fred is back?

• Makes sense to play Kashket tomorrow, use him while we can!

Combined with Bayo coming back in, but maybe Wheeler in there too, to keep the aerial ability up with Charles presumably rested for this one at the back.

• Just thinking perhaps we aren’t making ourselves popular, a small team top of the division and here’s the conspiracy theory, we should expect things not to go our way.