Skip to content

PNL

I have been told that at their Fans Forum the other night Karl Robinson announced that for the Man City game they'd "be taking our time over throw-ins, goal kicks and being a bit more Wycombesque"

A backhanded compliment there

Comments

• They’ll be missing the key element, which is winning.

• They haven't been professionally trained at the Allsop School of Acting. As a bunch of amateurs it could end badly for them.

• I hear Man City requested the imitation, because Pep was so disappointed to miss out on playing us.

• Interesting talk from Robinson, players and fans about resting players in preparation for their game against us. It's obvious which is their big match.

• "It’s a great opportunity for our young players to show what they can do..."

• Surely he can't be serious? Resting players when they have a quarter final, already with players injured?

Are they trying to get a battering that makes City's 8-0 (was it?) earlier in the campaign look small?

• Unless he means young players who are already first team regulars

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Unless he means young players who are already first team regulars

Which the interview I read was capable of being understood as saying.

• It's far easier to understand what Karl is getting at when you're reading it than when you are actually listening to him saying it I wager.

• Start centre-back Rob Dickie (linked with Derby and apparently attracting Premier League interest) is containing Raheem Sterling well. Saturday might be a Bayo day.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    They haven't been professionally trained at the Allsop School of Acting. As a bunch of amateurs it could end badly for them.

Que their keeper getting a yellow on 38 mins...

• Wait, maybe that was the other screen, only the GK is yellow and got a yellow. The other yellows are one down at HT though

• Their 'keeper who is ex-Wanderer Jordan Archer

• They look a very good team, Oxford.

• I thought for a moment you’d gone all Uri @NorsQuarters ! Seasons greetings to you, by the way, and hope to see you in the New Year.

Talking of taking time over throws, corners etc etc, one of the things that impressed me about Burton was their technique at corners of putting the ball down and virtually simultaneously taking the kick. A good ploy but you’d have to ensure your team mates weren’t taken by surprise as much as the opposing defence!

Oxford look impressive defensively and were unlucky to concede to a wicked deflection. Has the second half started?

• If they beat them, and we beat them....best team in England. As if we weren't already.

That shouldn't jinx anything now....

• Oxford equalise from a move which started with a quickly taken free-kick - very well worked, slight problem being the ball was still moving when it was taken.

• Sterling restores City's lead.

• I’ll get back to it.

• Extra time and injuries please

• No extra time in this competition

• 3-1 City, getting a bit easy for them now

• edited December 2019

Finishes 3-1. Oxford look very good and tiredness won't be a game-deciding factor, but it might influence the game. We'll need to be absolutely on it, but Gaz will have a plan. Roll on Saturday!

• Cheers @micra, and a very Merry Christmas to you and all on the Gasroom.

COYB

• Oxford looked decent to be fair to them.

• edited December 2019
  • Fair play to Oxford, they did as well as a league 1 side can reasonably be expected to do against Manchester City.

However, Saturday will be a completely different game. I expect us to sit in and try and ‘Ipswich’ our way to three points via a breakaway or a set piece. I would expect our two hardest working wide men Wheeler & Smyth to be deployed in nullifying their wide men, and try and squeeze the life out of the game.

If it works you can bet social media would be in meltdown come 5 o clock on Saturday. Here’s hoping.

• On further reflection, I think it might be a Samuel day for maximum disruption. 4-3-3 with Wheeler and Smyth able to drop back and turn it into effectively a 4-5-1 as necessary - as we did on Saturday (with Aarons instead of Smyth). Wear them out before unleashing the Beast.

• I thought you were quite impressive @Dickie and can see why even one or two Premier League clubs are interested.