Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• But then Gareth rang to update me and it seemed pointless.

• What’s the deal with free agents? Has the deadline passed for EFL clubs to sign free agents? Seen quite a few players released just a few hours before the window.

• Its Transfer deadline not Signing deadline so I'm pretty sure free agents are not covered and are free to sign for whoever.

• No deadline on free agents

• Even if we signed a free agent, I would have my doubts that he would be a stellar signing. More likely to be a young uncut diamond that will take time to be developed and "Wycomised".

• @Shev said:
    It is annoying that GA can't at least pop on the Gasroom once a week with transfer targets and injury updates.

@drcongo banned him some time ago!

• @Wendoverman said:
    But then Gareth rang to update me and it seemed pointless.

You were fooled , it was Richie impersonating him!

• @davecz said:
    ....Can he crack it in the Scottish Prem bearing in mind he hardly set it a light in the third tier of English football.

Judging by the quality of Scottish Prem strikers when they come down here and struggle at our level I think he’ll have no problems up there (if he stays fit)

• Every now and then I have the misfortune of ending up on football Twitter and it's a truly horrible place. The replies to the WWFC tweet announcing that there'll be no more business in this transfer window are a perfect example.

• @drcongo said:
    Every now and then I have the misfortune of ending up on football Twitter and it's a truly horrible place. The replies to the WWFC tweet announcing that there'll be no more business in this transfer window are a perfect example.

I've never quite understood this culture of taking your frustrations out on the club's media team. Just watch when the team is announced today...

• I think the general gist of it is that we all knows that the club is not championship quality yet so why make a huge push? The guys know at the back what there doing. This will take a couple of seasons to achieve but we shouldn't give up in getting there. What's is important to realise is where we are today compared to where we could be.

• @thedieharder said:
    I think the general gist of it is that we all knows that the club is not championship quality yet so why make a huge push? The guys know at the back what there doing. This will take a couple of seasons to achieve but we shouldn't give up in getting there. What's is important to realise is where we are today compared to where we could be.

If only everyone shared your ability to see the bigger picture!

• It has the look of the 2015 scenario in that respect @thedieharder when the Club welcomed the income generated by the Playoffs but realised that we probably weren’t ready for more than a season in League 1. The situation now is different to the extent that even a one-off season in the Championship would, to say the least, be “interesting” and if the Couhigs prepared to fund a few reinforcements to the existing squad we might just survive at that level.

• “If the Couhigs were prepared to fund....”

• How do we decide which clubs are ready for promotion? Is the league table at the end of 46 games not enough?

• @micra said:
    It has the look of the 2015 scenario in that respect @thedieharder when the Club welcomed the income generated by the Playoffs but realised that we probably weren’t ready for more than a season in League 1. The situation now is different to the extent that even a one-off season in the Championship would, to say the least, be “interesting” and if the Couhigs prepared to fund a few reinforcements to the existing squad we might just survive at that level.

The fact I'm at my 10th season of going to matches and I am still relatively quite a young person I only started to realise this after the near promotion season. The question that pends is who stays in the starting 11 and who comes in.

• If you thought that a particular vote was a choice between two camps and hadn't really paid much attention to the detail , and I'm sure nobody ever has, then maybe you could confuse a yes vote with an open chequebook (or 2020 equivalent) and automatic championship, just as anyone who questioned anything was an old git who wanted us back in the conference.

• @floyd said:
    How do we decide which clubs are ready for promotion? Is the league table at the end of 46 games not enough?

A look at the current Championship table shows last season's L1 promotion teams occupying 3 of the bottom 4 places. All three of them bigger clubs than Wycombe. We'd all love to go up but immediate relegation, likely involving a few hammering along the way, might do more damage to our long term plans re. building the fanbase etc than staying down and having another decent season next time.

Of course, nothing is certain. We might go up and survive. We.might stay down and flounder.

• And we might never have this opportunity again.

• I’d settle for being a Yo-yo club between L1 & the Championship for a few years!

• @Wanderers82 said:
    yep that is poor . GA said he wanted to bring one more. name in.....why are we always kept in the dark? what is happening with Fred ? GA always shouts out to us fans but never keeps us to date

Must admit, I thought this was @Wendoverman from a quick view, hence me joining in for a tongue in cheek duelling banjos.

Now I re-read and it's a chap being serious!> @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@floyd said:
    How do we decide which clubs are ready for promotion? Is the league table at the end of 46 games not enough?

A look at the current Championship table shows last season's L1 promotion teams occupying 3 of the bottom 4 places. All three of them bigger clubs than Wycombe. We'd all love to go up but immediate relegation, likely involving a few hammering along the way, might do more damage to our long term plans re. building the fanbase etc than staying down and having another decent season next time.

Of course, nothing is certain. We might go up and survive. We.might stay down and flounder.

Going up and not utterly wazzing the increased money away is surely the best bet.
    There is nothing to guarantee we'll even be near the top 10next year.

• Can we still get a Loan striker in?

When is Fred back? I miss young Fred.

• @Gerry47 said:
    Can we still get a Loan striker in?

August.

• We all miss young Fred.

• edited February 2020

Did Fred ever exist! There is a Fred playing for Man Utd, could he originally have been ours?

• Marquee signing in the summer, but now just a distant memory. Some elderly supporters probably don’t remember Fred at all now.

Hope he’s back for the run in, he could tip things back in our favour.

• @robin said:

@Gerry47 said:
    Can we still get a Loan striker in?

August.

What year?

• Another summer of "Announce Fred!" - I can hardly wait.

• Even missing about 4 months he's still not far off top scorer.
    That is madness for a team who have been top 2 for months

• I wish we could see the parallel universe where he never got injured.