Skip to content

Graham Coughlan set to leave Bristol Rovers

Comments

• @HCblue said:

@Shev said:
    It may just be semantics, so I will rephrase that I find it hard to enjoy other's misfortune, or think it tremendous when bad things happen to them.

Again, I agree strongly.

(Though, tediously and avoidably pedantically, I suggest it ought to be " others' " assuming you to be referring to the misfortune of others).

Not tedious at all, @HCblue! I am a fan of the grammar bouncers guarding the Gasroom door.

• edited December 2019

What is there to dislike about Reading?

• I> @eric_plant said:

With that in mind, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is hoping that both Manchester clubs register convincing victories tonight

I was rather hoping Man City would win on penalties after scoring a heartbreaking - for Oxford - 96th minute equaliser. And that Oxford are subsequently knackered and psychologically damaged for Saturday.

• Oxford will be knackered whether they win or not. Actually, wouldn't it better for them to win and have a hangover from that?

• rivalries with the likes of Plymouth, Colchester and Bristol Rovers are surely down to recentish close league encounters and unpleasant managers.

They will likely begin to fade while we are two divisions apart next season and we begin to forge new rivalries with clubs of more comparable status- Bristol City maybe, Fulham, Birmingham City.

maybe if the likes of Plymouth or Colchester had a really good cup run and were lucky enough to draw a plumb tie against us in the Third Round, the old rivalry may flare up a bit for a short time but otherwise surely doomed.

• And something nobody has mentioned today - we all f*cking hate Slough (still)

• @Shev said:
    It may just be semantics, so I will rephrase that I find it hard to enjoy other's misfortune, or think it tremendous when bad things happen to them.

You must really struggle when an opponent scores an own goal, or we batter a team then.
    It's football! It's built on rivalries and revelling in your own good times and opponents bad times.
    As long as it's not "serious" stuff like going bust, or injuries etc

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

You must really struggle when an opponent scores an own goal, or we batter a team then.
    It's football! It's built on rivalries and revelling in your own good times and opponents bad times.

I suggest it is possible to revel in one's own good fortune without doing the same regarding the ill fortune of another.

• This all started because I said I had sympathy for fans losing a manager in the midst of a brilliant run. I was imagining how it would feel if it was GA. I stand by that sentiment. Of course I want to beat Bristol Rovers, but I don't see the two perspectives as mutually exclusive.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

I suggest it is possible to revel in one's own good fortune without doing the same regarding the ill fortune of another.

Do you applaud the opposition's good play, just out of interest?

• @Shev said:
    This all started because I said I had sympathy for fans losing a manager in the midst of a brilliant run. I was imagining how it would feel if it was GA. I stand by that sentiment. Of course I want to beat Bristol Rovers, but I don't see the two perspectives as mutually exclusive.

You don't think a team on a hot run like Rovers, beating Ipswich away, and will likely be in the mixer near the top...losing their manager, and thus potentially being derailed, thus potentiallly helping us, is good news?
    (long sentence, but trust you follow!!)

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

Not necessarily literally but certainly I think myself capable of recognising and acknowledging it.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    This all started because I said I had sympathy for fans losing a manager in the midst of a brilliant run. I was imagining how it would feel if it was GA. I stand by that sentiment. Of course I want to beat Bristol Rovers, but I don't see the two perspectives as mutually exclusive.

You don't think a team on a hot run like Rovers, beating Ipswich away, and will likely be in the mixer near the top...losing their manager, and thus potentially being derailed, thus potentiallly helping us, is good news?
    (long sentence, but trust you follow!!)

I think I covered the two perspectives in the quote above?

1. I hope we beat/finish above Bristol Rovers.
    2. I still sympathise with losing a manager in the midst of an exceptional run.
  • @chairboyscentral said:

Total nothing club, probably the third or fourth most popular team in their own town, with fans who act like they're Real Madrid. The way they behaved during their stay in Division 2 in the late 90s early 00s makes Sunderland's supporters look reserved and considered.

• @floyd said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Total nothing club, probably the third or fourth most popular team in their own town, with fans who act like they're Real Madrid. The way they behaved during their stay in Division 2 in the late 90s early 00s makes Sunderland's supporters look reserved and considered.

Where do you reckon Wanderers sit in terms of most popular team in Wycombe, out of interest?
    Not to disagree with your post, just interested!

• @floyd said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I see, too young to know about their time in this division.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I had an interesting experience yesterday evening. I went for a drink with a couple of guys who work for a supplier. I’ve known them several years and they know very well who I support. Last night they brought along a colleague who is a Col U supporter. He is about the same vintage as me and remembers that the rivalry goes all the way back to the 1982 FA Cup game.

Now this may be sacrilege, but I actually liked him even more because we had a shared memory of our historic rivalry. He was a nice guy anyway. The other two were quite bemused by what they clearly felt was a deeply felt rivalry based on actually not that much.

I’m not sure what the general point is that I’m trying to make. But I think it’s that our “hatred” of particular teams doesn’t and shouldn’t translate into hatred or even dislike of their individual supporters. In the pantomime of football rivalry, the individual can absolutely be separated from the collective.

Except for the Franchise, of course.

The Col utd supporters memory is not that great, as the rivalry started when we defeated them in the FA cup in 1985, not 82 !!

• @Malone said:
    Where do you reckon Wanderers sit in terms of most popular team in Wycombe, out of interest?
    Not to disagree with your post, just interested!

That's a really good question. I haven't lived in Wycombe for 16 years so i'm probably not the best person to answer it! I lived in Reading when they were in the Premier League and everyone i met supported one of the London clubs.

• If you did a poll of even 1,000 Wycombe residents, I wouldn't be confident we'd come out higher than third most popular. How many of those actually go and watch Arsenal, Chelsea and whoever else, though, is another matter. Also, how much of the population around here is actually from the area originally?

If you did a poll of even 1,000 Wycombe residents, I wouldn't be confident we'd come out higher than third most popular. How many of those actually go and watch Arsenal, Chelsea and whoever else, though, is another matter. Also, how much of the population around here is actually from the area originally?

There's also a big difference between going to games and "supporting".

A lot of our fans aren't in Wycombe as well.

• Not to mention people who support two teams - which I don't think is as big an issue as some people make out.

If you did a poll of even 1,000 Wycombe residents, I wouldn't be confident we'd come out higher than third most popular. How many of those actually go and watch Arsenal, Chelsea and whoever else, though, is another matter. Also, how much of the population around here is actually from the area originally?

No doubt. The difference is that a lot of Wycombe's population came of age while we were still a non-league team and you could watch 1st Division football for about a tenner. Reading were in the Premier League and no one seemed to care!

• You can use Google translate but the long and short of the article is that Vålerenga's traditional rivals Lillestrøm were in the playoffs for the drop (?!) for the first time since 1975 over two legs and supporters travelled over 150 miles to stand with Kristiansand and cheer against their foes. Spoiler alert: they were rewarded with a comeback leading to a 5-5 aggregate with Start winning on away goals.

The pub I was in in Oslo erupted and chants of "There go the Yellows to the OBOS League" could be heard for hours afterwards. Scenes. There is something special with rivalries and the article discusses the limits thereof. Long may that continue and we play with extra spice and sing with extra heart this Saturday.

https://www.vg.no/sport/i/6jMpp3/vaalerenga-fansen-feiret-lsk-nedrykket-deilig?utm_source=recirculation-matrix&utm_content=Jowzx6

• Surely one of the great joys of football is revelling in the misfortune of your friends and colleagues football teams. I work alongside (amongst others) a Leeds ST holder, so taking this week for example, I didn’t remotely take the piss out of them blowing a 3-0 lead against 10 men at the weekend. As he will to me when (if?) we start actually losing games again.

And who out there doesn’t thoroughly enjoy the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd struggling (relatively) recently?

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

I do, I can appreciate many facets of other sports as well.

• I have been known to applaud good play from the opposition. Occasionally, something you see is so good that you just feel obliged to recognise it. I'm not talking a fist-pumping "yesss, come on", just a polite couple of claps and a nod, in recognition of the beauty of the game.

There are other times, of course, when my aggressive reaction (screaming, shouting, swearing, gesticulation) to something (dive, bad call from the ref, histrionics from their bench, etc) in the heat of the moment, is disproportionate and un-called for.

All part of the live football experience.

• @micra said:
    Just waiting for “The other” now.

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Steady on @micra, wot wiv your dodgy ticker an all???

This, that and the other. I wondered if anyone would come up (?) with that @EwanHoosaami; if I was a betting man you would have been short odds!

• I follow Forest and Wycombe as I am not a local like, but I know far more about Wycombe than the present Forest side so I suppose I just about pass muster. Don't really feel the visceral hatred towards Col U, the PNL or Slough...but beating Plymouth, Luton, Rovers or Sunderland - or even just winding up their fans with our performance...is something special. I have also been known to utter 'that was a great pass/goal' after an opposition move...though I do not applaud.

• Are you one of those that gets apoplectic when they are called NOTTS Forest @Wendoverman?

• @mooneyman said:
    Are you one of those that gets apoplectic when they are called NOTTS Forest @Wendoverman?

yes