Skip to content

FA Cup second round draw

Comments

• *same tier, different division

• I hope whoever wins the replay does something creative to attract a decent crowd in to watch the match vs Chichester.
    It will for them be a great day out but will probably be seen by some Tranmere/Wycombe fans as a bit of a banker (recipe for disaster). It could, therefore, be a smallish crowd especially if shown on the TV and/or played on Sunday as fans might save their money for Christmas/round 3.
    If it's us playing Chichester it'll be a good test for the Couhig's to see how many punters they can attract to attend.

• @eric_plant said:
    It's the stand out draw of the round. It's an absolute certainty for TV IMO

'Everyone' says so.

• Hard to see what @Twizz. Tranmere slashed their prices for a perceived unattractive game and still got a low crowd. If on TV couldn’t do anything about kick off time. What do you suggest?

• Well if it is us, for example buying a ticket gives you priority for a ticket if we get through and get a plum draw in the next round?

• There are four tv matches. The Friday night BBC2 match will almost certainly be Maldon & Tiptree as the beeb like nothing more than the ‘he worked an 11 hour shift in a bakery finished work at 530 and now he’s 90 minutes from playing Man Utd’ type narrative.

That then leaves 3 BT Sport games, the last of which is Monday 745 and crucially after the draw has been made for round 3. By placing Chichester in that Monday night slot, they would ensure that a minnow would be in the draw for round 3 regardless of any other results elsewhere.

Now just imagine Wycombe/Tranmere/Chichester were drawn out in a plum 3rd round tie, I imagine that would spike interest in the casual football fan to then tune in to see if Chichester could win and earn a huge tie.

It’s probably a conspiracy too far on my part, and Sod’s law would dictate that instead of a plum tie it would likely be Exeter away, but if I was a tv executive that might be the angle I would be looking at if I was thinking of covering Chichester’s match in round 2.

• It would require a combination of initiatives I suspect, perhaps involving but not limited to:-

Publicity, lots and lots of publicity
    Rewards (entry to a signed shirt raffle?) for ST holders bringing guests via the ticket app
    Get the players out and about to encourage people to come
    Reduced ticket price
    Ticket give away to local school kids, if they bring a paying parent
    Priority purchase of ticket for round 3 big boys, if we win, on production of your ticket stub from round 2 (await objection from every other priority group)
    Off field entertainment in The Village
    Meet the Beast before the game (because he'll be rested)
    50/50 commemorative scarf
    Give away scarfs/footballs to the kids in the family stand pre-match

If we are a televised game I'd use the TV money to fund the above initiatives on a speculate to accumulate basis.

• The Beast was involved in one of the tinpot games; I don't think he'd be rested for the FA Cup, regardless of the opposition.

• Damn it @chairboyscentral that was the one I thought had most potential. Still if it's the only one you feel isn't a goer ....

• Is Mark Labbett free on Saturdays?

• Gaining a priority level above anyone who didn't bother to go to any second round by all means.
    But obvs well under the proper priority groups.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Is Mark Labbett free on Saturdays?

Lost a load of weight and unrecognisable apparently, most inconsiderate.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2019

@bookertease said:
    Well if it is us, for example buying a ticket gives you priority for a ticket if we get through and get a plum draw in the next round?

This is it. Would expect that to be the case anyway so just needs promoting so everyone knows.

In fact, I would suggest doing it for the Tranmere replay.

• @LX1 Not sure why you’d expect that to be the case anyway, the club have never made any effort to reward regular supporters who aren’t ST or share/club500 holders. That was clear after the debacle with the Spurs tickets when they sold the bulk to the groups I’ve mentioned (allowed 2 each, in a complicated set of different time slots) and then dumped the few remaining on sale on the web, completely ignoring the queue at AP. Oh, and then they changed the ‘charter’, after the event, to fit the way they’d done it.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Legacy members will be allowed to look at tickets between 11 and 3 on Tuesday

I hope everybody does. It's disgraceful if people decide to go or not to go without actually looking at all the evidence.

• I look forward to more ticket scuffles when we get more and more big time.

"They only gave us 6,000 away to Villa in the league, and as i''m not a season ticket holder but go to 73 away games a year i'm hard done by" etc etc

• Are there really people who go to all or most away games but not home? Apart from anyone banned from AP, of course.

• I do not travel well so I'm hoping as a season ticket holder to secure about 20 tickets to the next big FA Cup game for friends and family who don't even like football just so I can post it on Facebook.

Are there really people who go to all or most away games but not home? Apart from anyone banned from AP, of course.

I know a few people that probably do 10-15 home games and 10-15 aways. If you can't know which Saturdays you'll have free, it doesn't make sense to buy a season ticket, and if money isn't too much of an issue, some people just prefer away days

Are there really people who go to all or most away games but not home? Apart from anyone banned from AP, of course.

You love your stats, maybe you could look into it?

• Yeah, I suppose. How many games do you get 'free' on the average ST anyway? I can't imagine it's more than about three.

• @Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I know a few people that probably do 10-15 home games and 10-15 aways. If you can't know which Saturdays you'll have free, it doesn't make sense to buy a season ticket, and if money isn't too much of an issue, some people just prefer away days

I'd have to check the maths, but you usually get about 6-7 games free into the STH price.
    I get that not everyone can stump up £300 or whatever it is in one go for a STH, but if it is your main interest, surely you'd budget accordingly, as to then do most games, for higher price isn't any sort of logic?
    And I do wonder how people afford so many aways, those surely average about £50 a game all in

• I don't do many aways through a combination of affordability and, tbh, just wanting time to do other things. The ones I do go to tend to be 'local', although I want to go to Sunderland before we leave them behind in League One.

• @Malone said:
    And I do wonder how people afford so many aways, those surely average about £50 a game all in

Even Wimbledon must have come to almost £40.

• After I've paid for my ST and crisps. Away games that are not 'local' create fiscal and time management problems that prove unpopular with Mrs W. Apparently I watch 'too much' football. And there are not that many away locations that can be sold as a delightful weekend away.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I'd have to check the maths, but you usually get about 6-7 games free into the STH price.
    I get that not everyone can stump up £300 or whatever it is in one go for a STH, but if it is your main interest, surely you'd budget accordingly, as to then do most games, for higher price isn't any sort of logic?

But if you have no choice of which Saturdays you have free because of work / child care / other commitments, then buying a season ticket might not make sense. If you can afford to do the aways whenever you're free then why not

• I paid almost two quid for a bag of Quavers at Wembley the other week...

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:

But if you have no choice of which Saturdays you have free because of work / child care / other commitments, then buying a season ticket might not make sense. If you can afford to do the aways whenever you're free then why not

Of course, it depends on your specific situation.
    If you work 2 or 3 saturdays a month, you're struggling!

And it goes with the understanding that you'll always be under STHs in the queue for tickets, whether or not you go to more aways than them or not.

I paid almost two quid for a bag of Quavers at Wembley the other week...

Other than the history of the place, and its convenience to get to, Wembley is a terrible venue isn't it?

I paid almost two quid for a bag of Quavers at Wembley the other week...

May I suggest a pre-match trip to Lidl/Asda/Tesco and a small rucksack. Apparently that's what people do...ahem.