Skip to content

Gareth Ainsworth

2»

Comments

• LX1LX1
    edited October 2019

@DevC said:
    For a songwriter like you so easy surely to adapt the words to get quite a good song.

Oh well, I'm the type of guy who will never settle down
    Where Wycombe Wanderers are, well you know that I'm around
    I cheer 'em and I sing to 'em every single game
    I really really love 'em tho they don't even know my name

They call me the wanderer
    Yeah, the wanderer
    I roam around, around, around

Oh well, there's Fred on my left and then there's Wheeler on my right
    And Bayo is the guy playing upfront tonight
    And when they ask me, which one I love the best?
    I tear open my shirt and I show "Ainsworth" on my chest

Cause I'm the wanderer
    Yeah, the wanderer
    I roam around, around, around

Not sure I should be the one singing it though (for obvious reasons) and lets be honest those Gary Glitter associations are a bit awkward.

Basically a rip off of @glasshalffull 's excellent effort 26 years ago but omitting the 'roam from town to town' verse

The heavy irony in the first verse was very cleverly done though!

• It's actually a pretty bleak, pessimistic song. The line "I'm as happy as a clown with my two fists of iron, but I'm going nowhere" sums up its meaning. The guy is lost in life. Hope it's not prophetic.

• Think I’m correct that the owners (the estate of Michael Jackson?) of the song do not permit the lyrics to be tinkered with in any way, hence why previous versions as mentioned were not recorded.

• If we used the same word association logic as 'The Wanderer', the following anthems would be sung by other clubs:

Bolton Wanderers: 'When A Man Loves A Woman' by Michael Bolton
    Ipswich Town: 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' by Kenny Chesney
    Carlisle United: 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' by Belinda Carlisle
    Forest Green: 'It's Not Easy Being Green' by Kermit The Frog
    Morecambe: 'Bring Me Sunshine' by Morecambe & Wise

• @perfidious_albion You’re saying that Michael Jackson was a fan of the creepy sex pest tone? I wonder why.

• Crewe: "Hallelujah" by Alexandra Burke

• @drcongo said:
    @perfidious_albion You’re saying that Michael Jackson was a fan of the creepy sex pest tone? I wonder why.

The great Michael Jackson had a terrible childhood which meant having young boys sleep in his bed when he was 40 was totally innocent and not pervy at all.

• Hull: “I of the tigers” - Survivor

• Perhaps we can play Back Door Santa over the festive period?

• Does that mean what I think it means?

• Is Back Door Santa a game, a song, a "film" or someone's stage name?

• Definitely not one to put into urban dictionary

• With some trepidation, I feel obliged to suggest that Emily Jane White’s “Hole in the Middle” might be an appropriate anthem for Scunthorpe.....

• @Malone said:
    For all the furore about the cheerleaders a few weeks ago, I'm surprised there's not similar with the Wanderer song. After all it's about a geezer roaming around towns treating women like conquests.

Catchy though

Think of the children (weep, weep)

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@Malone said:
    For all the furore about the cheerleaders a few weeks ago, I'm surprised there's not similar with the Wanderer song. After all it's about a geezer roaming around towns treating women like conquests.

Catchy though

Think of the children (weep, weep)

It's diabetes on a plate...