Skip to content

Gareth Ainsworth

The club just tweeted this:

If he’s signed a new contract I will not be responsible for my actions...

Comments

• Surely not? That'd be incredible scenes.

Maybe just a montage of his 7 years?

• I'm not on the twitter someone will have to like it for me...

• It’s not, but I still love him.

• Congrats to Rob Couhig for sorting out Gazza's new contract........although it is a recording one

• I’ve never really listened to the words to that song before. They’re very “of their time”.

• It's a pretty rubbish song all around, but you've got to love a Gaz performance. What else could we have as our club song?

• 'One Wycombe' is the official club anthem, I believe.

• edited October 2019

'Wild Thing', although it might be a bit egotistical of Gaz to cover that himself ?

• "Our House " a duet with Darius Charles

• Don’t know if anyone remembers but I wrote special lyrics to The Wanderer when we reached the FA Trophy Final for the first time. The team recorded the song at the famous Abbey Road studios thanks to lifelong fan Ken Townsend who held an important position there. We were going to release the record and donate the proceeds to charity but Michael Jackson’s company, who owned the copyright to the song, blocked it.

• Remember it well @glasshalffull. My mate had it on vinyl. Are any of these still knocking about?

• I have no idea if any still exist LX1, I don’t have one myself.

• @Shev wasn't there a better one available at the time? Something like "Wycombe Strong" it was called if I remember right.

• Surely it should have been a cover of the immortal “Wycombe Wanderers Number One”?

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/sounds/index.htm

• "Well we're the kind of team who will always be around..."

• . We were going to release the record and donate the proceeds to charity but Michael Jackson’s company, who owned the copyright to the song, blocked it.

Is that Michael Jackson the innocent, naive unworldy man-child with the theme park and zoo in his garden and or Michael Jackson the hard-headed, musical businessman with an eye for commercial advantage who used to buy up other writer's copyrights?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have no idea if any still exist LX1, I don’t have one myself.

I have the double sided vinyl single with The Wanderer instrumental recorded by the Wycombe Wanderers A.R.P band but it’s got damaged with the passing of time so may not play

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @Shev wasn't there a better one available at the time? Something like "Wycombe Strong" it was called if I remember right.

I appreciate the shout out, @OakwoodExile! It's still kicking around, but never got the traction I hoped. Still, I heard it live at AP (twice) and can die happy!

• Never a big fan of "the Wanderer" apart from the title it has very little to do with us and the rest of the lyrics are mostly someone boasting about how they cant maintain a relationship

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    Never a big fan of "the Wanderer" apart from the title it has very little to do with us and the rest of the lyrics are mostly someone boasting about how they cant maintain a relationship

He should record Teenage Rampage and call his band The Limbs.

• edited October 2019

@AlanCecil said:
    I have the double sided vinyl single with The Wanderer instrumental recorded by the Wycombe Wanderers A.R.P band but it’s got damaged with the passing of time so may not play

Still got mine - mint condition. Wycombe Wanderers No1 on the other side. Neil Young channelled through the mind of the bloke who wrote the incidental music for Central TV drama, Boon.

• I've got the cassette version!

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    Never a big fan of "the Wanderer" apart from the title it has very little to do with us and the rest of the lyrics are mostly someone boasting about how they cant maintain a relationship

Very true. It's a bit like using 'Brown Sugar' by the Rolling Stones as the theme song for a cooking show.

• For a songwriter like you so easy surely to adapt the words to get quite a good song.

Oh well, I'm the type of guy who will never settle down
    Where Wycombe Wanderers are, well you know that I'm around
    I cheer 'em and I sing to 'em every single game
    I really really love 'em tho they don't even know my name

They call me the wanderer
    Yeah, the wanderer
    I roam around, around, around

Oh well, there's Fred on my left and then there's Wheeler on my right
    And Bayo is the guy playing upfront tonight
    And when they ask me, which one I love the best?
    I tear open my shirt and I show "Ainsworth" on my chest

Cause I'm the wanderer
    Yeah, the wanderer
    I roam around, around, around

Not sure I should be the one singing it though (for obvious reasons) and lets be honest those Gary Glitter associations are a bit awkward.

• I'd never associated you with Gary Glitter before, but now that you mention it...

• Dion is what comes to mind for me...did not even know Gary Glitter covered it!

• edited October 2019

Nice effort @DevC. As a songwriter, I prefer original compositions overall, but I know football has a culture of adapting existing songs.

This is the only thing that has hit me the wrong way about the RC era. We had a song competition of original Wycombe songs, voted on by Wycombe fans, and 'One Wycombe' won, and was announced as the official club anthem. Then RC arrives, and five minutes in says "Hey! You have 'Wanderers' in your name, and there is a song with 'Wanderer' in the name!" and everyone immediately rolls over and jumps on that tenuous bandwagon.

I am a very new fan, relatively speaking, but up to RC I did not hear any Wycombe fan call themselves a Wanderer. It was always Chairboys (my favourite) or Blues (generic, but with a long history). To me it seems like an immediate, jarring culture change.

However, lest this seem too negative, I love pretty much everything else about RC's efforts, and I am very glad he is here! Music is by no means on the top five list of most important things about a football club, and I am happy to suffer through constant playing of a song I dislike, for the sake of a cajun burger-eating second place club!

Yeah, I'm a Chairboy!

• Yeah, I'm a bodger.

• For all the furore about the cheerleaders a few weeks ago, I'm surprised there's not similar with the Wanderer song. After all it's about a geezer roaming around towns treating women like conquests.

Catchy though