Skip to content

"After Sunderland at home" - Attendance - Shrewsbury (H) - Sat 2nd Nov - Match 16

2»

Comments

• 4901 including 441 Salopians.

• 5400 (400 away)

• 4784 with 390 watching their shrews get tamed.

• Matchday morning and 32 predictions on the spreadsheet:

We say -

Average for Total Crowd: 5283
    Average for Away Crowd 442

And collectively we say a home crowd of 4841.

Even if we are a bit optimistic - I know I didn't consider rugby, weather or half term - 4841 is over 700 more home fans than for the Shrewsbury fixture in November last year.
    It's a fine time to be a Wanderers fan - share the joy.

Anyone is welcome to do a prediction.
    Massive plaudits for the closest and honourable mentions for those who are close.
    I can work on updating the season long competition this weekend.

Happy Predicting and Up the Blues.

• OK, I'm on holiday but I will have a go if that's ok?
    5061 including 402 from mid west.

• Attendance given as 4,826 with 420 Shrews.

• I am SOOO poor at crowd predictions.

• The champion of the week is @bookertease - with a fine prediction of 4848, 22 away from the actual 4826.

Congratulations to you Sir.

A special honourable mention for @HCblue, who forecasting for the first time this season, was the next closest person with 4792, 34 away.
    [I'm not changing the spelling of honourable, despite the new era]

Further honourable mentions for all those who were within 100:

@DevC 42 away with 4784
    @Shev 69 away with 4895
    @perfidious_albion 73 away with 4753
    @NewburyWanderer 75 away with 4901
    @chairboyscentral 76 away with 4750
    @Manboobs 95 away with 4921

@BlueBoy scores a very honourable mention for the away crowd prediction of 421, just one off the actual 420.
    @a40 with 427, gets a tip of the hat for being within single figures.

Last season's game we had 4048 Wycombe fans, this season 4406, an increase of 9% for a game at a similar time of year.
    There was an equivalent decrease of 7% for the Shrews.
    I am certain that the weather is significant for those who make their decisions close to the game and the rugby will have been a factor, as was half term.

@micra: not that bad - I was quite a bit worse this week. Is it less of an exact science than weather prediction?

• I think my optimistic disposition and wishful thinking come into play when making crowd predictions @railwaysteve but, in my heart of hearts, as reflected in my response to @HCblue’s little ad hoc interjection on this thread, I knew I was over the top (and have been for several recent matches).

In future, I shall do what I do with the weather forecasts - look at what the experts are predicting and follow suit.

• @HCblue, in an inspired one-off prediction, was within 34 of the actual attendance. I shall be inviting him to become my special adviser. To me, looking at the packed terrace, the unfamiliar faces all around us in the Frank Adams and listening to the surprisingly loud vocal support from the latter, it felt well over 5000.

Not that I’m bitter! Oh, and I came within 56 of winning one of the 50/50 draw prizes and moved up to third in the WHC table so, all in all, a very good day.

• @micra said:
    @HCblue, in an inspired one-off prediction, was within 34 of the actual attendance. I shall be inviting him to become my special adviser. To me, looking at the packed terrace, the unfamiliar faces all around us in the Frank Adams and listening to the surprisingly loud vocal support from the latter, it felt well over 5000.

Not that I’m bitter! Oh, and I came within 56 of winning one of the 50/50 draw prizes and moved up to third in the WHC table so, all in all, a very good day.

Be glad to advise. Start with an understanding that our supporter base is not as big as we would like to think of it, I fear.

• @railwaysteve Struggling to work out why the rugby would have had an adverse effect on the attendance, seeing as it was over by mid-morning.

• @ValleyWanderer but the associated drinking (and driving) may not have been

• All those sad rugby fans drowning their sorrows.

• Hope you appreciated my drawing attention to your remarkably accurate prediction @HCblue (and also having previously acknowledged that you were likely to be closer than me!).

• Our supporter base @HCblue is remarkably fickle. I didn’t expect there to be a thousand fewer of them than there were for the Sunderland game. It definitely is a concern.

• @micra said:
    Our supporter base @HCblue is remarkably fickle. I didn’t expect there to be a thousand fewer of them than there were for the Sunderland game. It definitely is a concern.

It's that there were rather more home fans than usual for the Sunderland game that persuaded me to a lower estimate this week.

Firstly, if performances continue, I think home attendances will do likewise. Secondly, I hope the Couhigs have ideas as to how to draw more people in.

• Think it's fair to say that for the last few seasons, our attendances have shown an upward turn after Christmas. May be as a result of people getting half-season tickets, I don't know. Or perhaps it's because we've generally had something to play for come season's end.

• I’m sure performances will continue @HCblue. Not sure what you mean by home attendances doing likewise though!

• Clearly, I mean that they will continue too. Though what that means, your guess is as good as mine.

• edited November 2019

Would it make sense to allow season ticket holders to bring a guest to every game for some sort of discount? Unless that's already a thing?