Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    One of the more frustrating things about attending away fixtures is a minority of people slating Bayo and his effectiveness.

In a nutshell, his substitute appearance summed up exactly what a crucial influence he has on proceedings. The man is a super hero.

Are the usual suspects still doing that?! Amazing.

• Couldn't make the game so listened to BBC 3CR whilst doing some painting (door frame not landscape). Listened to the commentary (we must be going up in the world as we were on FM rather than as usual last season relegated to MW behind schedule even behind Stevenage in the pecking order of 3cr clubs....) and there were a few comedy gold moments. I also heard the "more better" Watford comment @micra and there were two others that caught my ear.

Sam saying the team had a "grip hold" not sure what that is but sounds more likely to be something Mick McManus would use.

The one from @bluntphil that made me chortle was when he described the ball "hit him in the face, but his face was offside."

Comedy gold and three points.

• edited October 2019

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Sam saying the team had a "grip hold" not sure what that is but sounds more likely to be something Mick McManus would use.

A variation of our shithousery?

• Quality reporting from the Sheffield Star:

"Kashket sprung the offside trap from Anthony Charles' long ball and coolly slotted home."

• When a number of our own fans couldn't get the assister right not unusual for a paper to totally bodge it

• Anthony Charles would be an incredible defender tbf

• In fairness to @thecatwwfc @Malone it took me a mo or two to suss that he meant “within four days of each other.” In fact, isn’t that what he said? You were just being cheeky weren’t you bro?

• @Onlooker said:

@Shev said:
    For those pointing out last season's regulars, it is also worth mentioning that Stewart, Jacobson, Gape, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket and Bayo were also all League TWO regulars for us, yet are contributing massively to a top League One team! Not to mention Sido, who will not doubt have his time in the sun at some point this year.

Well said @Shev this is in my opinion even more remarkable than what was achieved under MON. For me Gareth is already the best ever Wycombe manager.

I’m not sure that Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket or Stewart were that regular during our last season in League 2 (for differing reasons) but all have shown marked improvement in fitness and form this season.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    One of the more frustrating things about attending away fixtures is a minority of people slating Bayo and his effectiveness.

In a nutshell, his substitute appearance summed up exactly what a crucial influence he has on proceedings. The man is a super hero.

In fairness I think a lot of the fans are saying that Bayo is best utilised as an impact sub. Yesterday being the perfect case in point. Kashket replaces him in leading the line from the start, gets the goal early from a well-placed through ball splitting the defence - then when the Rotherham players really twist the screw second half, bring a refreshed Bayo on to give them hell and take the pressure off the rest of the team. Fantastic tactics and strategy by Gareth Ainsworth yesterday and really shows why we don't need to start Bayo every game.

• edited October 2019

It's all about the situation - and Gareth is so good at tailoring our system to what we're likely to be faced with. That 'inverted trapezium' allowed to play what was still pretty much a 4-3-3, just a more defensive version of it from what I could tell. The fluid 1-2/2-1 attack caused them real problems, and players like Kashket are ideal for exploiting an offside trap (he looked like he might have been offside, but it's impossible to be conclusive with the one angle available). In what was more of a striker's role, Wheeler looked just as tenacious as Samuel too.

I'm not sure how we'll look against Shrewsbury - they're very sound defensively but have scored the second fewest goals in the division, so I imagine they 'park the bus' to an extent - but we all know Gaz will have something up his sleeve. Another tactical masterclass from our tactically inept gaffer yesterday.

• @micra said:

@Onlooker said:

@Shev said:
    For those pointing out last season's regulars, it is also worth mentioning that Stewart, Jacobson, Gape, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket and Bayo were also all League TWO regulars for us, yet are contributing massively to a top League One team! Not to mention Sido, who will not doubt have his time in the sun at some point this year.

Well said @Shev this is in my opinion even more remarkable than what was achieved under MON. For me Gareth is already the best ever Wycombe manager.

I’m not sure that Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket or Stewart were that regular during our last season in League 2 (for differing reasons) but all have shown marked improvement in fitness and form this season.

Apolologies @micra I read @Shev ‘s post as highlighting the fact that a number of regular League 2 players are more than holding their own against fancied League 1 sides. Not sure that appearances in our most recent League 2 campaign are relevant but I am sure only a small minority would have foreseen how well they are doing now.

• In fairness to Rotherham fans, they were in the Championship last year. If we got relegated this year, and were getting beaten by Dover Athletic in League 2, fairly certain we'd be annoyed too.

• Just caught up with the Blackpool and Rotherham games on ifollow. Great feature of the system that you can watch the full game on replay without knowing the score. And wonderful to be able to watch from as far away as Kenya with @bluntphil's marvelous commentary too.

In both games the defensive display was really superb. From front to back we are giving very little away to the opposition at all. Frustrating teams and disrupting their rhythm means we are conceding ver few chances.

Great to see us mixing up the formation and strategy as well. Consistently sought to get Kashkett and Wheeler in behind the Rotherham defence with early balls and it proved highly effective, leading to the goal. Excellent finish from Kashkett, calm under pressure as always.

Hopefully Gape isnt too badly injured. We certainly missed him second half. Although the combative performances of everyone in midfield were a joy.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Anthony Charles would be an incredible defender tbf

I'm imagining them tied together like a three legged race. This also means we could put Sido next to them and no-one would notice the extra player, surely?

• @Onlooker said:

@micra said:

@Onlooker said:

@Shev said:

Apolologies @micra I read @Shev ‘s post as highlighting the fact that a number of regular League 2 players are more than holding their own against fancied League 1 sides. Not sure that appearances in our most recent League 2 campaign are relevant but I am sure only a small minority would have foreseen how well they are doing now.

The relevance is that at least two (possibly three) of those four were not regular starters two years ago either because of fitness issues or not being seen as good enough to be automatic choices. It is remarkable that they have all developed/achieved greater fitness etc to the extent that they all look comfortable playing against sides which, by rights (?!), should be playing at a higher level.

As you say, few of us could have foreseen that. I certainly couldn’t although I could see Nick Freeman’s considerable potential, rated Anthony Stewart and Kashket (but had reservations about their ability to stay fit) and, to be brutally honest, never really “got” Matt Bloomfield - talk about a late bloomer!

• edited October 2019

@micra - I understand what you are saying, but my point was that people are (rightly) stating that our current high flying team is made up of many League One regulars from last season, but to me it is even more incredible that they were regulars in League Two also. I guess it depends on one's definition of "regular", but they did all play a lot for us in League Two, including the promotion season (aside from Kashket, owing to injury):

Bloomfield: 351 L2 appearances, 37 in promotion season
    Stewart: 127 L2 appearances 17 in promotion season
    Freeman: 41 L2 appearances, 27 in promotion season
    Kashket: 30 L2 appearances, 9 in promotion season

However, my point is more about how marvelous it is that they were considered "League Two standard players" just two seasons ago, yet are now all contributing significantly to a top League One club. Absolutely phenomenal!

• Great result seeing as we are a dirty team not up to much and the officials gave us everything. We won't be anywhere near the top by the end of the season. Though stramgely like @shev I do like watching it every week.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Great result seeing as we are a dirty team not up to much and the officials gave us everything. We won't be anywhere near the top by the end of the season. Though stramgely like @shev I do like watching it every week.

You can't possibly, twunts from Plymouth to Notts to Sunderland have said so, and they should know, they wouldn't compromise playing like Brazil as they do to maybe say get promoted or avoid relegation. So vulgar.

• I have started watching the Sunderland docco. It's not pretty viewing and I wonder if Jack Rodwell will ever live it down! I assume he has sold his house up there!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I have started watching the Sunderland docco. It's not pretty viewing and I wonder if Jack Rodwell will ever live it down! I assume he has sold his house up there!

Does show what a basket case the club was at the time it was recorded. I do wonder how much things have improved there.
    The uncertainty of the club being sold again I'm certain was part of GA's decision.

• Think there is a second season documentary as well. Not sure if it will ever be aired though!

• Having watched it I thought Sunderland came out of it far worse than Jack Rodwell did

• @eric_plant said:
    Having watched it I thought Sunderland came out of it far worse than Jack Rodwell did

I think the fans are a bit deluded about 'where they should be' but a 26 year old on 60,000 a week who does not seem to want to play or move somewhere to play (whatever his contract details) knowing his wages were crippling the club I found distasteful myself. (I know it's all telly and cut to order but still...) but yes @Guppys_Left_Leg basket-case indeed when the only player scoring and obviously not getting the same stick from the fans decides to end his loan something must have been up.

• Sunderland gave Jack Rodwell a ridiculous contract. At the time they kindly offered to rip it up, he was fit and available for selection. They chose not to select him and to try and force him out. It was a lot more than his wages that were crippling the club. I'm not sure it's quite as black and white as you make out.

• @YorkExile said:

I'm not sure it's quite as black and white as you make out.

I hope you're not suggesting TV documentary producers would manipulate the presentation of a situation to create drama while withholding the full context of the situation to fool the viewer @YorkExile ?

• I blame Jonny Dixon.

• Mackems deluded? Posted in the thread about their latest loss to Shrewsbury Town.

'The bookies roughly think the best 4 teams are Ipswich, ourselves, Peterborough and Fleetwood.'

Well, we've beat one of them and drawn with another. Just a win against Lambo and Joey to go! :smile:

• edited October 2019

We drew with Fleetwood as well.

• oh yes.... :smile:

• I still think Peterborough are the only team that have looked quality - or am I being harsh to some of the others we've played?