Skip to content

Disaster Scenario: Who to replace Ainsworth?

Comments

• Psycho and MON both failed at Forest...going back is a risk.

• Accompanied by Steve Guppy ??
    Or would it be the time for Bloomfield to step up as player coach ??

• @drcongo said:
    Ian Holloway thinks the EU is at fault for handball rules and that Brexit will fix it.

No thank you.

Rob Couhig is a republican, doesn't come into my decision on his ownership.

Couldn't care less if Holloway got apoplectic about bendy bananas if he did a good job on the pitch.

• Who wouldn't want Martin O'Neill back?

It would be like a fairytale

• @eric_plant said:
    Who wouldn't want Martin O'Neill back?

Yes, but always the worry that what is currently a fairytale could have a tragedy as a sequel.

Nicking the Republic of Ireland manager would be a bit of a coup for us though!

• Mike Bassett. I agree.

• The Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy?

• @LX1 said:
    The Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy?

Shows how much I've paid attention to Ireland that I didn't even notice that he'd moved on.

• We've had ex England managers before so why not?

• Sol Campbell ..... end of debate.

• Martin O'Neill with Bloomers as assistant manager so that he can learn from the master and eventually take over.

• Please not Campbell. We don't need that kind of arrogance.

• @Username said:

@eric_plant said:
    Who wouldn't want Martin O'Neill back?

Yes, but always the worry that what is currently a fairytale could have a tragedy as a sequel.

Nicking the Republic of Ireland manager would be a bit of a coup for us though!

For a second I actually thought, yeah of course he's still in a job..then obviously woke up!

He would love the set of wingers we have here.

But without any heresy, I do wonder if his last few stints show perhaps it's time to say enough is enough and enjoy a pressure free retirement from management, maybe do a few stints as a pundit instead.

• Surely Bloomfield is now steeped in the Ainsworth way. Give him the caretaker job for a few games and see how it goes.

• Emergency caretaker double act of Bayo and Bloomfield wouldn't be a bad bet.

Would be reluctant to look too far on though

• A big issue if Ainsworth were to leave would be how much this squad is moulded in his image, and how hard that would be for another boss to pick up.

You wonder if another boss would continue to play Bayo, who is a 'general' in the dressing room and that would cause issues.

Fred has gone on record saying that he came back because of Gaz, who consistently gets the best of him.

O'Neill would be interesting... but they do say never go back.

• @Slaphead said:
    Surely Bloomfield is now steeped in the Ainsworth way. Give him the caretaker job for a few games and see how it goes.

Worked well with
    Solskjær

• @prufrock_91 said:
    A big issue if Ainsworth were to leave would be how much this squad is moulded in his image, and how hard that would be for another boss to pick up.

You wonder if another boss would continue to play Bayo, who is a 'general' in the dressing room and that would cause issues.

Fred has gone on record saying that he came back because of Gaz, who consistently gets the best of him.

O'Neill would be interesting... but they do say never go back.

That's the huge issue if he goes now, we've just brought a mass of players in this summer, many on him being manager.

On another point though, we have a real array of attacking options. Another manager might get a great tune out of them - that's the unknown!

• And I thought Sunderland fans were deluded!
    If we need a new boss, and it is still an if, Bloomfield as caretaker till deal resolved, he does ok or deal falls through he gets the job permanently . Despite what our cousins across the pond may have you believe we are still ‘little old Wycombe’.

• edited October 2019

People used to say Hayes was the manager in waiting, and now they say it of Bloomfield. I don't really see it myself, and would be surprised if the Couhigs did.

Let's hope all this is all unnecessary conjecture though.

• I wouldn't fancy Blooms. Gareth hadn't been here that long when he took on the manager's job; Blooms has been here almost 15 years. It could work out, but it you also run the risk of tainting their legacy when things don't go well. Anyway, hopefully it doesn't come to that. Just hurry up please, Sunderland!

• It sounds like Sunderland will be anything but quick, if the reports of 5 targets are correct.
    Sorting and conducting interviews and then making a decision could really stretch on.

As long as they let us know, so we can get on with our lives!

• Really don’t think Bloomers is the answer. We would need a really strong character to follow Gaz. Looking at the names mentioned here - none of them stand out. Holloway is an entertaining idiot but not for me.

• To call Holloway an idiot is pretty harsh, he's a fairly proven manager.

He also bought Paul Smyth through into the Qpr first team and generally did trust younger players, that could suit us.

• As a rule of thumb I would ask myself "would this manager appeal to the sort of person who watches Soccer AM"?

If the answer is yes, I would cross them off the list

• @eric_plant said:
    As a rule of thumb I would ask myself "would this manager appeal to the sort of person who watches Soccer AM"?

If the answer is yes, I would cross them off the list

I think you've made it clear enough your disdain for anything remotely related to youth football culture.

• MON or Dobbo for me

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    MON or Dobbo for me

I fear if he goes Dobbo will follow the Wild Thing.

• Gary linekar has limited managerial experience but plenty of contacts in the football and crisp sectors