Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative Investment Story

David Ornstein has an exclusive in the Athletic about how Dennis Bergkamp, Dirk Kuyt and Henrik Larsson were first choice for investment before the Couhigs but didn’t give cash flow quick enough.
It seems they may still be interested if the vote doesn’t go through...
Very interesting piece (i think if you get the app you can read a few free stories per month)

https://theathletic.com/1273587/2019/10/08/exclusive-bergkamp-larsson-kuyt-bid-to-buy-wycombe/

«134567

Comments

  • The Facebook generation will be creaming their pants now and asking for a no vote. No need to see a business plan from such exulted names🤣

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • The report in The Athletic is 100% accurate.

    Reports in Holland suggesting Kurt was going to buy a Div.1 club called Wanderers was assumed to be Bolton when it was in fact Wycombe.

    I posted on May 10 pictures of Fahri Ecvet and Rob Jansen of Wasserman who were hosted as preferred bidders by Chairmen Stroud in May at the last home game against Fleetwood.

    They couldn't agree on a deal before June payroll and thus Stroud contacted Mr. Couhig, whom the Trust had rejected previously, and the deal was done with prior agreement with the training ground owners.

    The Trust board were starstruck with the dutch and went over like a fat labrador on wet lino.There are always other options.

    There were Bill and Jim, the other Americans, Danes, we've had some Brits and some dodge pots from Albacete...

    https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/17628835.wycombe-chairman-trevor-stroud-talks-about-budget-cuts-and-the-latest-investment-updates/

    Can somebody post the pictures as I'm techno illiterate.

  • Can anyone copy the full text from the article?

  • @wwfcblue said:
    The Facebook generation will be creaming their pants now and asking for a no vote. No need to see a business plan from such exulted names🤣

    I’m sure they have excellent business and working on a budget experience too.

  • edited October 9

    This post has been temporarily (or maybe permanently) removed

    I've received a (very polite) takedown notice from The Athletic - while I attempt to negotiate with them about maybe leaving the post up at least until the vote has happened, I'm removing the post per their request.

    Lots of love,
    @drcongo

  • edited October 9

    This post has been temporarily (or maybe permanently) removed

    I've received a (very polite) takedown notice from The Athletic - while I attempt to negotiate with them about maybe leaving the post up at least until the vote has happened, I'm removing the post per their request.

    Lots of love,
    @drcongo

  • The timing of this is all a bit naughty isn't it? Trying to disrupt the current vote and increase the chances of a "no" vote so they get their chance?

    ...or am I being too cynical here.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • edited October 8

    My initial reaction was 'Oh no, it's the Harman situation all over again' but as Plan Bs go it is quite decent and I am sure their involvement would have a similar impact on attendances to that seen when MON came to the party. Thanks for posting @Richard_Cheese

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Interesting if true purely because it would mean we aren't getting the full picture. It's ok for thy board to have preference but you can't keep saying we'll go bust if we don't accept a deal if the deal is just one of many.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • Pigeons scattering.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @StrongestTeam said:
    Interesting if true purely because it would mean we aren't getting the full picture. It's ok for thy board to have preference but you can't keep saying we'll go bust if we don't accept a deal if the deal is just one of many.

    Thou hast put that very well!

  • Oh goody. here we go again......

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • "I'd love us to be the new Salford", said no-one ever

    👍 👎 ( 3 )
  • Reading through, and forgive my paraphrasing, but isn’t the 3 Dutchman’s plan very similar to what Andrew Harmans was?

    Buy into the club, build academy sell players and thats the way to make money? Questionable/slow commitment on money upfront to pay existing bills.

    Isn’t it also ironic that the lack of youth development seems to be out USP?

  • Sounds to me like Couhig persuaded TS to favour him over de Nederlanders by thrusting money into his hands.

  • I’m sure the right decision was made (subject to acceptability of deal details). We need business brains not ex-Footballers.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @LordMandeville said:
    Sounds to me like Couhig persuaded TS to favour him over de Nederlanders by thrusting money into his hands.

    One persons “thrusting money into his hand” is another’s “showing upfront and immediate commitment that they are serious”.

    But if, and it I a big if, it was getting to a point that June (and presumably July and August’s) Payroll was seriously Under threat the requirement for that thrusting of money/immediate commitment does help the club continue to function

  • If discussions between the Trust board and this consortium were subject to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), what were the penalties specified for breach of that agreement?

    The Trust seem to have honoured their part of the agreement, but someone from the consortium has obviously talked and/or leaked information, possibly in a deliberate attempt to derail the preferred bid that is competing with their one. Can the Trust sue for compensation from the consortium for breach of the NDA?

  • @Uncle_T said:
    If discussions between the Trust board and this consortium were subject to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), what were the penalties specified for breach of that agreement?

    The Trust seem to have honoured their part of the agreement, but someone from the consortium has obviously talked and/or leaked information, possibly in a deliberate attempt to derail the preferred bid that is competing with their one. Can the Trust sue for compensation from the consortium for breach of the NDA?

    Seeing as the trust has approximately no money, it's a moot point.

  • @Username said:

    @Uncle_T said:
    If discussions between the Trust board and this consortium were subject to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), what were the penalties specified for breach of that agreement?

    The Trust seem to have honoured their part of the agreement, but someone from the consortium has obviously talked and/or leaked information, possibly in a deliberate attempt to derail the preferred bid that is competing with their one. Can the Trust sue for compensation from the consortium for breach of the NDA?

    Seeing as the trust has approximately no money, it's a moot point.

    What we need is some hotshot American lawyer to sue - but where to find one?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @slaphead You beat me to it. I was about to offer a similar response: http://www.couhigpartners.com/robcouhig.html

  • @Uncle_T said:
    @slaphead You beat me to it. I was about to offer a similar response: http://www.couhigpartners.com/robcouhig.html

    Quite the CV isn't it

  • @chapmanio said:
    The timing of this is all a bit naughty isn't it? Trying to disrupt the current vote and increase the chances of a "no" vote so they get their chance?

    ...or am I being too cynical here.

    It looks very much like that. Someone is being exceptionally mischievous dropping this in now. As the "romance" level and "plans" in that article look potentially superb.

    However, obviously nowhere near as appealing when it came to the crunch.

  • Bloody hell so the power group did look at another bids and found them lacking...the bastards. So they just went for the rubbish one bound to upset the gasroom...AGAIN!!

  • timing of this is not great at all, hopefully everyone that has a vote will remain focused on what we have seen and what has been done thus far by the Couhigs

  • edited October 8

    Well that is interesting. Vote No and get a Netflix documentary, a youth set up overseen by Dennis Bergkamp AND the Trust's initial preferred bidders taking over the club.

    I'm afraid it's now incumbent on Mr Couhig to show his hand. Just what is his plan and how much money does he have to back it up? If the answers are disappointing there's a very glamorous option waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces - looks like Mr Stroud's gloom and doom predictions about us finding our level in the national league were just spin. I suspect because the one thing that will almost certainly change if the Dutch come back to the table is that he will no longer be invited to join their board.

  • @aloysius Also - how many international caps has he got?

  • I'm pretty damn sure that if we were now discussing whether to vote yes/no to the Dutchmen bid someone nice would be leaking details of an alternative bid from an American family consortium, that was available but turned down by Trevor Shroud and the Board.
    Everyone has an agenda remember, even if they are dangling carrots.

  • My personal opinion: This superstar consortium would be unlikely to get a 75% 'Yes' vote if put to the Legacy Members.

    In line with the earlier comment from @eric_plant I don't believe there is a great appetite for turning Wycombe Wanderers into a Salford City type media circus show (Netflix, etc.), whose future successes would be dismissed by many observers as having been bought through rich owners' money and contacts.

Sign In or Register to comment.