Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• @bookertease said:

I also thought we didn’t play that bad first half. Had a few half chances (the KO routine was the best I’ve seen from us) but succumbed to a good side. Although I agree we left a little too much space.

Strongly agree about kickoffs - we've developed a nice variety now each of which seems to put us on the front foot from the off.

I had a busy day today and only got to the game at half time. Sounds like I saw us at our best! On the basis of that half alone, we could, probably should, have won. At 2-2, we were all over them as on so many recent famous days. What a thoroughly enjoyable 45 minutes.

The ref's inexperience showed in a certain weakness at times, notably after the penalty award. But he seemed to think about his decisions - such as Thompson's second yellow - rather than jump in. If he is similarly reflective after the game and learns from such mistakes as he could be said to have made, I guess he could develop into a sound referee and do a decent job.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Will the people who leave early ever learn?

No. It's simply their routine. And getting home slightly earlier is a small price to pay for them missing 5-10 goals a season

• @HCblue said:

@bookertease said:

I had a busy day today and only got to the game at half time. Sounds like I saw us at our best! On the basis of that half alone, we could, probably should, have won. At 2-2, we were all over them as on so many recent famous days. What a thoroughly enjoyable 45 minutes.

I had a couple of seasons where i'd be playing locally, and only get in for the second half, or last 30mins.

Invariably I'd missed all the action by then, so you did well!

• I don't think there is anything wrong with posting during a game, as long as it is not abusive, etc. If we look bad, someone says we look bad, but we end up drawing, it is not exactly egg on their face, just commenting on how we look at that moment in time.

• Personally I cant believe how many times the officials get some decisions so blatantly wrong. The referees assistant running the Beachdean line may as well not have been there. Strike a light he was truly awful. Not flagging for blatant arm pulling, when it was only 2 yards from his nose, getting a corner decision wrong when 5000 others saw it was a goal kick.
    Is it me imagining, but since they've been relabelled from linos to assistants they seem reluctant to make any decisions?

• The fantastic spirit of this squad must be worth a good 10 pts over a season clawing back lost causes like today. Most teams would wilt when 2-0 down to one of the best footballing sides in the league, though we regrouped at half-time and came out with a much more purposeful attitude and looked far more likely to get back in the game. Even when 3-2 and down to 10 men, you would still back us to make a good fist of getting something from the game.

Our tactics in the first half were definitely to contain a team that we perhaps showed a little too much respect to. In the second half we were pressing a little higher and started having a lot more success playing the ball around with the sort of football that is a far cry from the fare on offer when Ainsworth's resources were rather more constrained.

• Spot on Reading.

• I've been very critical of Ryan Allsopp but I ought to just say that that series of saves he made in that last minute scramble was actually unbelievable. I thought they'd scored about 4 times.

Fair play to him, quite remarkable

• @Shev said:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with posting during a game, as long as it is not abusive, etc. If we look bad, someone says we look bad, but we end up drawing, it is not exactly egg on their face, just commenting on how we look at that moment in time.

But it’s the tone of those posts. Criticising the manager’s tactics, calling out certain players etc. Games can turn in an instant so you can be made to look pretty stupid if you assume that a 2 goal deficit automatically means you’re going to lose. Thank goodness our players never throw in the towel.

• Some delightful football today, from both sides. Toney’s cheeky 3-2 hand gesture and grin towards the terrace made it even sweeter to snatch a late equaliser.

I noticed a lot of negativity towards Wheeler and Gape (!!) today - neither had their finest games but was very surprised to hear a few individuals jeering in their direction, given our recent form.

Rolando showed glimmers of what he is capable of and will only get better with game time. Bayo didn’t stop running, even after 85 minutes, chasing chasing chasing. What a signing he has turned out to be. Thought Grimmer had a great second half and Scotty really terrorises defences on his day. Probably should have had a penalty before the one we were given too. Thought the corner that wasn’t a corner for their second should have been a free kick after Charles was hauled to the ground in a belly-to-belly suplex that any wrestler would be proud of.

Overall, pleased with a point, more so after the heroics at the other end to keep it 3-3. Lastly, we’ve played some decent teams already this season - we shouldn’t fear anybody, we’ve proven that we deserve to be where we are in the table and we’re definitely not punching above our weight. Bring on Sunderland.

• edited October 2019

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:

@bookertease said:

I had a couple of seasons where i'd be playing locally, and only get in for the second half, or last 30mins.

Invariably I'd missed all the action by then, so you did well!

Think I hit the jackpot. A 3-1 win for me, rich in entertainment. Should probably have bought a lottery ticket.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "No doubt the knives will be out again to start giving him stick as soon as he doesn’t score when he starts."

Sorry, what on earth are you talking about? Wycombe have never had such a universally popular player in their history have they?

• You have a short memory @eric_plant, we’ve already this season had plenty of people claiming he shouldn’t start and this is a season too far for him.

• There’s been a few down the years who’ve wanted to consign Bayo to 20 minute cameos due to his age.

Fortunately Gareth picks the team.

What a Champion he his and there’s still more to come. Legend.

• @drcongo said:
    You have a short memory @eric_plant, we’ve already this season had plenty of people claiming he shouldn’t start and this is a season too far for him.

Exactly this. Some of you gents may miss the worse of it not being on fb, but from almost game 1 last year, there were noises about him not being up to league 1, how this is why Wimbledon got rid, and continually talk of how our style of play is worse with him in the lineup.

All utter balls.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wouldn't surprise me if he was still playing for us at 40. He’s fit as a fiddle and is the heart and soul of the club.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with posting during a game, as long as it is not abusive, etc. If we look bad, someone says we look bad, but we end up drawing, it is not exactly egg on their face, just commenting on how we look at that moment in time.

But it’s the tone of those posts. Criticising the manager’s tactics, calling out certain players etc. Games can turn in an instant so you can be made to look pretty stupid if you assume that a 2 goal deficit automatically means you’re going to lose. Thank goodness our players never throw in the towel.

I agree, it is all about the tone. Nothing wrong in critical analysis if it is done factually and respectfully. And I certainly also agree some posts veer into needless abuse.

• If we go up that wont happen so for all you Bayo lovers we better stay in League 1

• but he was a handful today and had we started 4-4-2 as we finished we would have won that game and be 5 points clear in 2nd !!!

• Actually, I would want to keep Bayo if the miracle of the Championship happened. I am not sure they would all know what to do with him! Some of them might, but it would not surprise me if he troubled defenses at that level.

After all, many were saying the same thing about the step back up to L1, and he has passed that test with flying colours!

• Proving that he can score goals in The EFL Championship ...

Not too bad for a big lad with no footballing skills, bit of a one trick pony.

You know what you're going to get playing against The Beast.

But can you stop him?

• @rmjlondon said:
    but he was a handful today and had we started 4-4-2 as we finished we would have won that game and be 5 points clear in 2nd !!!

I hope we didn’t finish 4-4-2. That would mean we sneaked an extra player back on

• Even before we signed him I was amazed that no Championship side had ever signed him as an impact player. He could give any defender in the world trouble in the last 10/15

• Richie the Tactical Mouse strikes again.

• Nick Freeman was absolute class today, my man of the match

• I miss trev

• @drcongo said:
    Richie the Tactical Mouse strikes again.

The Adams Park cat will eventually catch him!

• @bigred87 said:
    I miss trev

Has any one reported him missing to the police?