Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• We were pretty poor 1st half. Who cares. We've got a great squad, a legend of a manager and the spirit that might just take us places we didn't think possible.

• Aarons to bag a 96th minute winner against Sunderland.

• Richie...?

• @chairboyscentral thought the ref was okay today. Can't complain about the red card for Thompson, first yellow looked a bit soft but second challenge was yellow, and the ref had a little think before brandishing the second yellow card.
    Maybe he should have been more firm in dealing with their players throwing themselves to the ground and in getting their players away when the penalty was awarded.
    Overall though a decent first game from a young referee.

• Certainly helped that it was kashket on the receiving end of that challenge for the pen. If it had been bayo the ref wouldn't have budged.

• Couldn't disagree more, thought the ref was really poor today

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ref was inconsistent and looked out of his depth to me. Got the sending off right though.

• Ref was awful, looked out of his depth.

• Got that last decision right though, thankfully!

• Another legendary comeback. Even at ht I thought there was a chance and the players must feel like that now after so many fightbacks in recent seasons.

Lesson of not posting in here during games hopefully learned for a few Gasroomers.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Tactics absolutely shocking !!! Fuck off GA

Thought you had excelled yourself last week, but no, you've moved the goalpost again proving that your cockwash knows no limits.
    @WestLondonWanderer, that shite defence and goalkeeper you were waffling on about, were they the same ones that put together that string of excellent saves and bodies blocking the shots on goal at the end when we were down to ten men?
    Your just a shit @rmjlondon, shit @rmjlondon!

• Very good league 1 game imo, with a very poor ref making 4 of the 6 goals questionable.

Thought we matched them up well, with GA'S gameplan of Thompson man marking Maddison generally working, even with the early yellow.

First goal was a blatant hand ball in the build up, then Gape should have cleared it.

The second looked like a definite goal kick - but then the defending was poor.

Typical Bayo goal to get back into it, and then I generally thought we were on top, Thompson was excellent, and Bayo was really effective and broufht Freeman.and Aarons/ Fred/ Grimmer into play effectively .

Such a shame the first equaliser was an O.G. Because it was some of the best build up play I've seen in a long time, crisp, fast passing ending with a great ball by Grimmer.

Grimmer had a strange role today, we almost played a back 3, with Thompson always following Maddison and Philips tucking in, allowing Grimmer to be almost a deep right winger- and I thought he played well.

Great finish for their third, before Thompson's red which I'd have to see again before judging.

Thought the penalty decision was soft but not crazy, and I never doubted Bayo. Overall a good point against a very dangerous team and a job well done by GA tactically - any game that Maddison is hauled off after 60 minutes is a tactical success.

• Thanks @bookertease. Absolutely fine today - before and after episodes of tachycardia I am as fit as yer average octogenarian. But I’m hoarse from singing and chanting plus shouting a few choice words towards a referee who lacked the authority to deal with the prolonged haranguing from a group of Peterborough players who seemed to think the penalty was unjustified. Cracking game though and I’m disappointed that I’ll miss the Sunderland game because we’re away for the weekend.

• Maddison is a v good player at this level , I would have said class player but he has no class, in fact a nasty piece of work. Was he’d him in the dugout after being subbed - low life.

• @Username said:

Grimmer had a strange role today, we almost played a back 3, with Thompson always following Maddison and Philips tucking in, allowing Grimmer to be almost a deep right winger- and I thought he played well.

Glad someone else mentioned this. First half it didn't work, and there was acres of space behind him, as he was often marooned near the half way line.
    Looked like he didn't have a prayer of getting past their left back.

Second half was totally the opposite, not exposed at all, beating their man, and a really good performance.

• Actually thought our gameplay 1st half was wrong tbh. Let them have the ball with far too much time and that's why they hurt us a lot. 2-0 at halftime for me was about fair. I said at halftime that they were too comfortable and we needed to press them, bite into the tackles and force them into a long ball game that they were uncomfortable with, then we could launch a few attacks of our own & see if their defence would be as comfortable. As we witnessed, a second half that was as different as chalk & cheese. A tactical change that @rmjlondon thinks that GA is not capable of, altered the whole feel of the game, got the crowd up a notch, fed back to the players and you could feel the creaking of the Posh back door. Brilliant entertainment again, value for money, good pint or two of Rebellion, whats not to like?
    Can't wait for the next game.

• Well done to Giles Phillips today, thought he put a couple of nice blocks in during the first half despite the defence being a bit of a mess then took control of the left back area second half.

• edited October 2019

Maddison is the best player in this league and should be at a top half Championship club, but he ruins it with his cheating - makes you lose respect for his ability.

• Brilliant come back in the end very proud of the boys dont like the 3 at the back tho.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

Glad someone else mentioned this. First half it didn't work, and there was acres of space behind him, as he was often marooned near the half way line.
    Looked like he didn't have a prayer of getting past their left back.

Second half was totally the opposite, not exposed at all, beating their man, and a really good performance.

Agreed, first half Grimmer just didn't seem to have the belief he would ever get round their Lb, but second half he had a real go, and even though it didn't always work, when it did, we eventually scored. I've been a critic of GA tactically in the past - not always on here, but Thompson's marking of Maddison and GA'S obvious instructions to Grimmer at HT have shown to me how much he's learnt.

• A huge round of applause for that save from Allsop at the end, and the other defenders in there. How that did not go in I will never know. Allsop is turning into a much better keeper this season. He had another fine save too.

Peterborough were way better first half, and we kept overdoing it instead of clearing our lines at crucial times. However, this team will not lie down and die, especially at home, and it is amazing how late equalizers or winners are almost expected now!

• Looking forward to Tuesday now, probably unlike many!

Expect it'd be wise to give Thompson a start, we he won't play for 2 1/2 weeks otherwise.

Has to be time for a Parker start as well.

• I seriously know nothing about football. I thought the ref did okay although got the odd decision wrong (corner that led to their second goal, missed a blatant handball, wasn’t assertive enough at the penalty antics) but tried to let the game flow. I’d rather him than the one we had for the Portsmouth game who blew up every 90 seconds.

I also thought we didn’t play that bad first half. Had a few half chances (the KO routine was the best I’ve seen from us) but succumbed to a good side. Although I agree we left a little too much space.

Our first goal came from nowhere but after that we suddenly matched, and for a while overran, them. As others have noted the movement and passing that led to the OG was a thing of beauty.

Genuinely couldn’t watch Bayo’s penalty.

Peterborough are a better team than us (if we finish above them I reckon we’d be promoted). To come away with a point shows how well we did tactically and as a team.

Prior to today I wasn’t sure how we would cope against the better teams in the division. Whatever happens from her we have proved we can compete with them.

A lot of good performances out there again but Stewart has developed into a really classy defender.

• When we are home we tend to change our team to match theirs, Gareth has done a wonderful job but maybe he could be a bit more positive and take the game to them and let them worry about us. I do appreciate that Peterborough are the best attacking side seen so far but if you change too much this can go against you as evidenced in the first half. However as normal you can’t fault our 110% attitude to the very end.

• edited October 2019

Hopefully Ross is still at Sunderland in two weeks and we do what we should have done last season. Poor Sunderland - the injustice!

• Terrific game, thoroughly enjoyable. First half I thought we were ok, but there was a clear gap in quality, they posed a constant threat to us in the final 3rd. 2nd half was more of the same until Bayo scored completely out of the blue and suddenly we were a different side. Such a shame the equalizer was an og, as the football leading up to it was a joy to watch, similar to the Rochdale goal at Southend the other week.

If our 1st was against the run of play, then so was their goal for 2-3, as we were very much in the ascendancy at that stage. You could see the belief in our our boys though and another goal always looked on the cards for us. That scramble at the end though... 2 wonderful saves from Allsop in there.

The midweek cup game comes at a good time for us, as it gives the suspended players a run out and keeps them involved and also extra minutes for Arrons will be good. He showed some nice touches, but clearly needs some time on the pitch.

• @EssexWanderer said:
    Another legendary comeback. Even at ht I thought there was a chance and the players must feel like that now after so many fightbacks in recent seasons.

Lesson of not posting in here during games hopefully learned for a few Gasroomers.

This is so true. It amazes me that people rush to their keyboard to whinge whilst the outcome is still in the balance, especially with our team’s famed ability to bounce back.

• Will the people who leave early ever learn?

• Filing out - I even said to one you know there will be 5 minutes added on