Skip to content

Do you remember the first time?

Comments

• December 1976 FA Cup round 2 home to Reading. I thought it was a 0-2 defeat but just checked online and it seems we got a consolation goal that I have no memory of!!

• Same as Mr Parry, 1975 v Middlesborough... my dad took me down, I was 9 years old (there that's given my age away) and I was in total awe at it all

• Can’t remember what game but it was early in the first Gola League season (mid-80s). Courtesy of a free ticket that came with a pair of Gola trainers, accompanied by a tenuous promotional endorsement from Liverpool’s Graeme Souness and Michael Robinson.

It does prove the point that promotional tickets can hook someone in for life.

• edited September 2019

@DevC said:
    Not WWFC related but on the theme my eldest sat in her high chair around the family dinner table with sister and her family and grand parents and a couple of other guests all in attendance. It was a proud moment. I'd just finished some DIY on the house and ready to show off my house and daughter to one and all. She dropped her spoon. The room went quiet. A little voice piped up. "oh fuck it" she said. Shocked silence followed by mum asking "what about a bucket darling". still paying the price with the wife.....

Apparently, those were my very first words. Since this was before we had a tv in the house and I've never heard my parents swear since then, it remains a mystery...

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Same as Mr Parry, 1975 v Middlesborough... my dad took me down, I was 9 years old (there that's given my age away) and I was in total awe at it all

I watched the game from a ward at Wycombe General hospital. Had a motorbike accident the day before. Don't remember anything about the accident though?

• First game was 91 v Cheltenham in the Fa trophy.
    2-1 win goals from Creaser and Kerr.

Checking the lineup we had Guppy, Carroll and Ryan in the midfield and it looks like Crossley at left back.

Remember getting freebie tickets from a wanderers training thing they did at my school and a school pals recently passed away dad taking us.

And then to my parents huge ire taking us to a local pub for hours after without a word!
    Glorious as i remember playing me v the other (three) kids and winning.
    Great day.

• 16 November 1985 v Colchester FA cup won 2-0
    The start of a beautiful relationship

• I well remember that promotion @arnos_grove I used to insist on Gola trainers/football boots, so I could get free tickets.

Being local, I used to join a whole host of other kids getting in free at half time. First full match may have been our centenary game against Leicester, in which I believe Gary Lineker played. I think a Wycombe player sadly suffered a badly broken leg that day.

First competitive match was the 2nd leg of the Hitatchi Cup Final V Farnborough (I think). We won 3-0 (5-1 on agg?) to lift the cup. Simon Read scored a bicycle kick I seem to recall.

• (Apologies..obvious recently being to today..not recent to then!!)

• @Wycombe85 and the players all got a Hitachi ‘Walkman’ along with their winners medals.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I well remember that promotion @arnos_grove I used to insist on Gola trainers/football boots, so I could get free tickets.

Being local, I used to join a whole host of other kids getting in free at half time. First full match may have been our centenary game against Leicester, in which I believe Gary Lineker played. I think a Wycombe player sadly suffered a badly broken leg that day.

First competitive match was the 2nd leg of the Hitatchi Cup Final V Farnborough (I think). We won 3-0 (5-1 on agg?) to lift the cup. Simon Read scored a bicycle kick I seem to recall.

John Richardson broke his leg v Leicester.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Same as Mr Parry, 1975 v Middlesborough... my dad took me down, I was 9 years old (there that's given my age away) and I was in total awe at it all

I watched the game from a ward at Wycombe General hospital. Had a motorbike accident the day before. Don't remember anything about the accident though?

The club president or chairman at the time was also in the hospital and they pushed his bed up to the window so he could watch the game. The ITV cameras picked him out.

• October '87. Drew 2-2 against Runcorn. Lost 7 games on the bounce after that.

Never looked back.

• Hitchin Town August 1967, hence my "nom de plume" We won 6-1 with the lengendary Bodger Horseman bagging a hat trick. Had moved to the area in the summer from West London switching my allegence from Btentford to the mighty Blues.

• @stevedore said:
    October '87. Drew 2-2 against Runcorn. Lost 7 games on the bounce after that.

Never looked back.

What he said.

• Had to ask me dad about that one as I made him take me to my first WWFC match ever at half term. He reckons it was 31-Mar-1990 Kidderminster Harriers away, we won 2-0 (thanks to the almanac that is COTN).

My dad sent Saint Martin a £20 note to pen a happy birthday to me a few years later. Wonderful times, hope they can even be eclipsed this season.

I will splan now for a special 30 year anniversary away to Shrewsbury March 28th next year.

• @NorsQuarters said:
    Had to ask me dad about that one as I made him take me to my first WWFC match ever at half term. He reckons it was 31-Mar-1990 Kidderminster Harriers away, we won 2-0 (thanks to the almanac that is COTN).

My dad sent Saint Martin a £20 note to pen a happy birthday to me a few years later. Wonderful times, hope they can even be eclipsed this season.

I will splan now for a special 30 year anniversary away to Shrewsbury March 28th next year.

Now you mention this - my mum had sent MON a note saying I'd have loved a programme from my first game, but didn't get one.
    He sent me a handwritten letter and signed programme, what an absolute legend!!

• My first away game was a 3-2 defeat at Oxford City in 1968 in the Amateur Cup. The game was played at the lovely and quirky White House Ground on the Abingdon Road A 1-1 draw at the same venue 3 years later saw us secure out first Ishmian League Title in 14 years

• Mine was Apr 1991, a 1-3 defeat at home to Barney. Beat Stafford Rangers 2-0 the following Saturday.

My dad’s was 8th Sept 1970 at home to Enfield, 1-0 win

• Loakes Park, watching Len Worley crossing from the right wing in front of the Cow Shed. Sometime in the mid to late 1960s.
    What is astonishing is that, in my mind, he still looks the same on the odd occasion I've seen him at Adams Park despite in being 50yrs later.

• Was that Barnet game when the Duke of Kent was there?

• No idea, I was 6!!

• Interesting theme. Not actually totally sure of first match may have been 1970 or 71. First clearly remembered game would have been the Newport County FAC win in 73. I would have been 10.

• @DevC My mum still delights in telling me of the time when I, as a toddler, very sweetly asked my Gran to 'please pass the f****ing butter'.

• 86-87. We were playing Bognor Regis and won 2-1

• 1986 vs Altrincham at Loakes Park, went to support the away team as that's where my folks are originally from, persuaded 2 school pals to come with me and we joined the 2 blokes and a dog that had actually made the long mid-week journey south. Wycombe lost 1-0 to a rubbish own goal and I've supported them ever since. If anyone has a programme I'd love a copy

• edited September 2019

Like a few others, my first game was the 1993 FA Trophy final vs Runcorn. I had been offered the chance to go to the 1991 trophy final, but in my wisdom at the time decided I wanted to go to my best friend's 5th birthday party instead!
    Two years later I had clearly grown wiser, and had taken to avidly following the Blues in the match reports in the Bucks Free Press my dad brought back with him after work on Fridays, but he didn't fancy giving up his beloved pastime of fishing on Saturdays. In the end my Mum had to take me to the final for fear that I'd probably never forgive them for missing what might have been our last trip to Wembley for a long while.
    Two minutes in, Jason Cousins scored a fantastic free-kick and went on a crazed celebration scaling the old perimeter fence, and I've been hooked ever since.

• Home vs Malawi, August 1978, I was 10 and had moved to HW a few weeks previously from Liverpool. I occasionally wondered how it came about so this thread led me to hit Google - which revealed that Ted Powell, ex WW manager, was in charge of Malawi.

• There's probably a whole new thread to be had on exotic non British teams we have played over the years . Might start it up sometime.

• Was anyone around when we played the barefoot Ugandans?