Skip to content

Samuel's contract

extended until 2022

Comments

• edited September 2019

I love the guy, but that's quite a commitment. Freeman, Kashket, Samuel, Fred and Wheeler all on 3 year deals. And possibly Grimmer? Anyone else slightly concerned that we're handing out so many long deals? Hopefully it doesn't matter, but it's there in the back of the mind.

• Until we hear richie's take on how difficult the negotiations were, what his GCSE results were and how much Alex is on I don't feel I can comment.

• @th100 said:
    I love the guy, but that's quite a commitment. Freeman, Kashket, Samuel, Fred and Wheeler all on 3 year deals. And possibly Grimmer? Anyone else slightly concerned that we're handing out so many long deals? Hopefully it doesn't matter, but it's there in the back of the mind.

It seems to me like a case of speculate to accumulate: sign them on long contracts and hope that one of them will develop well enough to get sold for enough money in the next year or two to recoup all of their salaries plus a bit on top.

• edited September 2019

I had to check as I was sure he'd signed a fairly long deal to start with - that was until June 2021 anyway.

So this is just a 1 year extension, probably a deserved upgrading of his terms to show the leaps and bounds he's made.

• It's a matter of swings and roundabouts. The longer the contract, the bigger the transfer fee you tend to get. Hopefully one or two of those given extended contracts will improve and thus cover the overall wage bill.

• Good points above. Ultimately, though we don't want to rely on football fortune, if GA is able to sustain this culture of polishing diamonds in the rough, and getting a reputation for doing so that attracts a better carat of diamond, it could help with sustainability.

• Does anyone know if a similar spate of signing promising young players to relatively long contracts occurred at Yeovil Town when Mark Palmer became and advisor to them?

• @Shev said:
    Good points above. Ultimately, though we don't want to rely on football fortune, if GA is able to sustain this culture of polishing diamonds in the rough, and getting a reputation for doing so that attracts a better carat of diamond, it could help with sustainability.

This is precisely why I dislike the term "football fortune". There's nothing fortunate about identifying discarded youngsters with potential, attracting them to the club, improving them, and selling them on for a significant profit. It does GA and RD rather a disservice.

• Injuries, off field issues, genuine limits in player potential are just a few of things that come under "football fortune"

• I thought football fortune referred mainly to increasing success in the league (thus increasing attendances) alongside exciting cup runs that fill the coffers rather than success in developing and selling on players, but I can see what you mean.

• I think the term may be used owing to the inability to fit into a budget. We can't say "We'll sell Gape for 500K in January, and then we'll sell Freeman for another 500K next Summer". It's not the greatest terminology, but there does need to be some differentiation between the fairly certain income, and the uncertain.

• Wreckless spending when we are in deep shit if we dont get 75 percent simple as that !!!

• Wreckless spending is surely a good thing. We wouldn't want to sink after all, especially in deep shit.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Wreckless spending when we are in deep shit if we dont get 75 percent simple as that !!!

I have to agree with this on the face of things. I just hope the interest in these players doesn't wain from our side or go away from elsewhere.

Pleased for the hard working Alex Samuel but is this really the time for these deals?

• It would take a titanic effort to avoid being wreckless.

• The EFL actually define Football Fortune, and player sales are included in this (Appendix A, 2.4).

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

• @Shev said:
    It would take a titanic effort to avoid being wreckless.

I'm surprised Eric hasn't commmented on this

• This is clearly how the Couhig's think they will get control by making us spend well beyond our means, Freeman I understand as he will attract interest if he can add goals to his game but Samuel is just a bog standard lower division forward who doesn't score goals.

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@rmjlondon said:
    Wreckless spending when we are in deep shit if we dont get 75 percent simple as that !!!

I have to agree with this on the face of things. I just hope the interest in these players doesn't wain from our side or go away from elsewhere.

Pleased for the hard working Alex Samuel but is this really the time for these deals?

• @rmjlondon said:

This is clearly how the Couhig's think they will get control by making us spend well beyond our means, Freeman I understand as he will attract interest if he can add goals to his game but Samuel is just a bog standard lower division forward who doesn't score goals.

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@rmjlondon said:

How did they persuade Gaz to go along with this nonsense.
    Surely it can’t be that he values that kind of hold up play and work rate.

• u can get anybody to run, its not hard

• @rmjlondon said:
    u can get anybody to run, its not hard

And that’s why you should stick to playing FIFA

• @rmjlondon said:
    u can get anybody to run, its not hard

We can't all run like Usain Bolt or Mo Farah though Richie!

• Yeah, anyone can run, as that's all it takes to play in league one right?

• It was for John Williams!!

• @ChasHarps said:
    It was for John Williams!!

If only he could of taken the ball with him

• Say what you like about John Williams, i can remember his goal at ColU in the cup like it was yesterday!

• The one that was miles offside !!

• There was certainly no one else near him!

• Absolutely magnificent

• John Williams had the unique ability, that no matter where on the pitch he was, and at what pace he was running, he was never in control of the ball !!