Skip to content

Attendance disappointing

Despite all the hype of the The Chairboys Village etc and of course the tremendous start to the season our crowd on a lovely Saturday was just 4196 the lowest in league 1 apart from Fleetwood. Take off the away support that means less than 4000 people from High Wyvombe turned up to watch our wonderful team.This was the first home game where we couldn't rely on a big away following The reasons may be many but I would like to throw one in the mix.: Mrs 67 decided to make one of her occasional appearances and join me in the Frank Adams stand. I went down to the ground midweek and bought it "old school " and paid £21 for the privilege. This price may deter many others. Appreciate prices vary and other factors come into play re the attendance eg bank holiday etc but I believe the matter perhaps warrant some discussion from the learned members of the gasroom

Comments

• I thought a season ticket holder could bring a guest for £5, or is that only for certain games?

• As Rob Couhig said prior to Saturday, there were a lot of headwinds (competing attractions) in terms of attracting people to AP on a hot August bank holiday Saturday. Two successive home Saturday games, and 3 in 4 weeks, especially in August, is a big challenge. I would expect a significantly increased crowd for the Lincoln match in 2 weeks time.

• @Mr67, not sure if you're saying £21 is too expensive or if the premium for buying old school rather than via the app - where, I believe it would be £2 less - is too much.
    Either way I'd have thought that £19-£21 for an afternoon's live entertainment was about the going rate. What else can you do for less?
    I acknowledge the cinema, for instance, is less but they too are under fire from streaming services etc., hence I stress the live entertainment aspect.

• Summer holidays still, bank holiday weekend, cricket season still on going for a couple of weeks.... I'm sure when all these have finished there will be a bit of an increase

• It's the old dilemma price versus revenue. I'm not citing that as the sole cause and the comment by Leeds Blue is very valid.

• Anyone know the figures for our average attendance for home supporters over the past season or so?

In my mind we have a solid core of around 3000 we can pretty much rely on and it’s been about that for a good few years. In a good season I reckon we should get that up to 4000, which I think is roughly where we are currently (hot BH weekends/cold December midweeks excepted)

• Also, Reading and Towersey Festivals on nearby, plus many others not too far away.

• Not sure many of our fans are into music festivals. I may well be wrong. What I do find encouraging for the longer term is the increasing number of youngsters. Just hope they get the bug!

• Three of our Beechdean neighbours were at Reading on Saturday.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Also, Reading and Towersey Festivals on nearby, plus many others not too far away.

I bumped into two fans at Towetsey wearing Wycombe shirts, so there were probably plenty more. £175 for Cockney Rebel, Newton Fawkner, From the Jam, The Selecter, Hot House Flowers and loads of hey nonny know folky stuff you won’t of heard of , great beer and camping made for a pretty good value full bank holiday w/e.
    Still think me and the other Chairboys could have jumped in a mini bus from Thame to the game on Saturday afternoon though.

• Seth Lakeman, The Mercury nominated Unthanks, Oysterband, not that much hey nonny know or indeed obscure :)

• Minor aside. Seth Lakeman lives just up the road from me. Fairly often found jamming with dad and/or brother in the local pub. Nice friendly family.
    Attendance perhaps explains why league clubs don’t play on aug bank holiday Monday..

• Essex Wanderers x5 were on holiday. Probably not unique

• @mooneyman said:
    I thought a season ticket holder could bring a guest for £5, or is that only for certain games?

Pretty sure that's only certain games? Bolton being one, the only one so far?

• No trains into London from my neck of the woods knocked at least one off the attendance

• I rarely make August games. Too many other things going on. Back on it next home game.

• @Baldric said:
    Seth Lakeman, The Mercury nominated Unthanks, Oysterband, not that much hey nonny know or indeed obscure :)

The Bar-Stewerd Sons of Val Doonican
    Old Man Luedecke
    Les Poules A Colin
    How nonny and obscure do you have to get?
    ✌️

• @EssexWanderer said:
    Essex Wanderers x5 were on holiday. Probably not unique

Are you season ticket holders?

• @peterparrotface said:

@EssexWanderer said:
    Essex Wanderers x5 were on holiday. Probably not unique

Are you season ticket holders?

Yes. Do we all get counted in the attendance regardless?

• My season ticket holding family members were all on holiday and there's so much going on on August bank holiday that there's a hell of a lot to compete with. Glad I made the effort though, did Mrs67 enjoy it?

• edited August 2019

There was a disappointing total attendance at Bradford away last season for the equivalent Bank Holiday Sat game. Their attendance was similar to what they had for their previous Tuesday night home game against Burton. Our attendance prediction thread collectively overestimated that one by approx 2000, (around 13%).
    Could be that the dedicated bunch who post on the gasroom, don't quite allow enough for alternative attractions if the August Bank Holiday is forecast is very hot.

Another factor is travel, a certain amount of road and rail chaos was forecast.

We made enough noise for 6000+ at the end though!

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Baldric said:
    Seth Lakeman, The Mercury nominated Unthanks, Oysterband, not that much hey nonny know or indeed obscure :)

The Bar-Stewerd Sons of Val Doonican
    Old Man Luedecke
    Les Poules A Colin
    How nonny and obscure do you have to get?
    ✌️

Bar-steward sons of Val Doonican are brilliant. Saw them at Cropredy last year. Should get them to play the Chairboys Village :-)

• Yeah I've seen them at Watchet. Very funny band

• Drcongo yes Mrs 67 enjoyed the game especially the last 30 minutes. The logic of the gasroom re the attendance on Saturday is re assuring for future games.

• Don't know whether we as a collective fanbase have proportionately more fans who would have more interests/decide to do other things on a sunny Bank Holiday matchday, compared to other similarly sized clubs. I must admit I was shocked by the low attendance on Saturday considering our start to the season. Gone are the days when a day like Saturday would have guaranteed another 500 - 1000 on the gate.

• Not sure how we can get to the 8/10,000, the Couhigs think we can achieve. Despite the teams best efforts and the improving match day experience, Wycombe public still not responding in increasing numbers.

• Early days in the season. We're all enjoying the vibrant and successful start but the floating voter may not even be aware the season has begun.

That said, I agree regular crowds of 7000+ are some way away - probably not until we get into the Championship.

• What about offering a next match day posters to anyone who buys anything from the new variety of exciting things that will be for sale in the club shop.

• Give it time. Many floating supporters have been burned by some truly awful ‘entertainment’ in recent years. No blame for that - Gareth has performed miracles with the resources at his disposal, but it’s often been depressing fare for people who haven’t yet made a connection with the club.

Thankfully things are heading in the right direction on a number of fronts, not least on the pitch. News of this will spread and as someone mentioned elsewhere, the growth in support from the kids is a good sign.

I’d expect an improvement in the attendance for the Lincoln game. So many people are still on holiday.

• Better food, beer and parking will make those who already attend happier but a spike in numbers through the gate will take an on field bandwagon for the casual supporters to jump onto, a good cup run or string of victories and promotion