Skip to content

Game Day Experience...

Comments

• I’ll be very careful what I say in that case.

• Nevertheless, I hope to meet you all on Saturday outside the Rebellion tent. Mrs ValleyWanderer is less endowed with height (5' 3") but has bright silver grey hair as a help to home in on us!;-)

• @ValleyWanderer I really don't believe silver grey hair is going to be of much help. I honestly think that is the demographic of many on here and in attendance at the ground!

• And blue framed specs @ValleyWanderer ?

• Instead of the music thing played into the away end, lets mike up the home stands and play that through the speakers into the home end.

You know, like car markers do to make the engine noise a bit sportier in the car, make 4000 home supporters sound like 40,000.

I’d be concerned they would just pick up a load of people shouting “ffs player X, you’re a f-Ing donkey” though Abenaki pipe that into the away end.

• Wow - I have now idea what an Abenaki is. Stupid autocorrect.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Instead of the music thing played into the away end, lets mike up the home stands and play that through the speakers into the home end.

You know, like car markers do to make the engine noise a bit sportier in the car, make 4000 home supporters sound like 40,000.

I’d be concerned they would just pick up a load of people shouting “ffs player X, you’re a f-Ing donkey” though Abenaki pipe that into the away end.

Takes me back to the walk out of the game at the weekend.

A mob of about 10 of our lot, screaming "you're all maaffff" to what looked like a 13 year old MK kid..on his own.

Top mobbing.

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/august/chairboys-village-opens-this-saturday/

Looks like an excellent addition to just going for the match and with the Ashes and PL footy being shown and a chance to meet RC I really hope I can get there early and make a day of it! We need to put up posters and advertise to the whole town, it sounds like the kind of thing that, added to a winning start to the campaign, can really create a buzz and get people interested in spending more time at AP. Love it!

• I couldn't agree more @NorsQuarters and I'll be there early.

• Just a really good, simple idea this I think.

Engages with fans, and makes a bit of money in the process.

• It would be great if the "village" outside could have a couple of screens up showing the cricket/early Premier League match.

Being out in the sun, supping on a pint of Rebellion whilst watching us beat the Aussies would be a wonderful warm-up to watching a Wycombe win

• Believe it or not, Mrs ValleyWanderer has had a better offer from her Golf pals and will now not be joining me tomorrow.

• @FmG - I accept some may prefer the sport but unless it can be done without disrupting the music it would be a bit unfair on any artist performing. There are so many pubs where the musicians are asked to compete with other distraction, delay performance until after the big game, that it would make a change for the music to have some sort of priority. I've seen Kirsty Fuller perform and think many people will enjoy the experience.

• @Baldric - Fair point. The live music I've seen before at Adams Park before matches has been average at best in my opinion so it would be great if Kirsty is better.

Personally, being able to see some music isn't going to get me down to the groud early but I am much more likely to come down early to watch some sport. Given that people are there to watch a football match, I would have thought though that I am in the majority (could be totally wrong) and more people would be interested in watching sport rather than music.

If that logic is right then I'd suggest revenue would be maximised by getting people down to watch sport vs putting on live music. However, full support giving the music a try as it might attract a different demographic of people to the matches

• I think our notorious British weather is a factor here. Live music, BBQ’s and beer tents are well suited to the unusually warm sunshine we’re promised tomorrow, but a wet and cold afternoon in November probably requires a different approach. However, our friends from across the pond are very proactive and imaginative and I’m sure they’ll come up with something. All ideas welcome!

• Very true @glasshalffull, it is of course one of the reasons we tend to drink 'warm' beer! Perhaps a water flume type ride down from the upper car park will suit the wetter weather and turning into a toboggan run in the winter.

Seriously though, finding ways of providing comfortable, warm and dry areas for fans when the normal British weather returns is a significant challenge and we should all try to support the current efforts to boost the matchday experience and increase revenue whilst the weather permits. It's akin to 'football fortune' and we must take advantage when we can IMHO.

• @FmG - fair comment - as you say all about demographics and personal taste. Pretty common to go to a local pub and find the wrong sport on for that same reason. I think the Test might not be the spirit lifting buzz you were looking for :(

• The way the test is going it will be over by tomorrow lunchtime!

• Personally I have zero interest in cricket, I glance at the Ashes series only. We will be coming to the "Village" early, realistically to support the new initiatives. My wife and I enjoyed very much the beer tent the last two games and the extra lure of a local singing artist will see us rock up about 45 minutes earlier than usual. There is a chance I might meet a few fellow gasroomers, down a few pints and support not only the football club, but local business & a local artist, I think is good. Sure it will add to the "family club" atmosphere that the Couhigs are trying to promote, so whats not to like? Only downside is @OxfordBlue forgets to leave the beer tent to enjoy the main show!!!

• @EwanHoosaami 45 minutes earlier than you have for the last two games?

• Yep, normally arrive circa 2-2.15 but tomorrow plan on no later than 13.30. Any earlier and the temptation to quaff, (sample), large amounts of the local brew may be too much and render the rest of the day pointless, for me.

• And we defititively don't want to end the day pointless after playing Southend

• I'm planning to be there early too- hope to see you, @EwanHoosaami, and anyone else who feels like making themselves known.

• See you there mate, Rebellion tent will be my go to point.

• The singer sounds pretty good K T Tunstall

• Left for the match over an hour ago now. Hope to meet in Rebellion

• @BuckinghamBlue : I assume you are referring to Kirsty Fuller who is due to perform in the Chairboys Village. I’ve had a listen on YouTube and also to her promo video where she sings a short medley of songs. Fine strong “musicians’” voice which reminded me slightly of someone well known but, without refreshing my memory of KT Tunstall’s sound I’m not sure it was her. The YouTube performances seem to be exclusively from West End musicals which, apart from West Side Story and a few others, are not really up my street.

If someone could post the promo video on here I would very much appreciate it.