Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

2»

Comments

• edited August 2019

@micra said:
    Ain’t he tall @Malone. Mainly hair of course.

Certainly an impossible to mistake character.> @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@Malone I’ve always rated Sido at centre back and after seeing him there a few years ago, it’s oddly his best position. I can’t remember a player who has turned around a manager’s opinion on him more than Sido, with the added gloss that Ainsworth and Dobbo are probably the best judges of players outside (and perhaps including) the Premier League.

I always liked him at right back for the height he provided, but when Harriman came in, it was a no brainer there.
    But football being a funny old game, sees Harriman replaced and bombed out, while Sido is still very much part of it all!

• @bigred87 hope the ups start to outweigh the downs and You're on an even keel soon. Good point I think...two clean sheets with a terrible goalie and awful centre back Can't be bad??

• Away point, clean sheet, unbeaten. We can all pick holes in team selection, tactics and substitutions but in GA we trust as he eases the new squad into the season.

Average game, bad ref, conditions could have been far worse.

• Best of luck @bigred87. In an age where everyone can be a real bellend behind a computer screen without consequence, it takes a lot of balls to be that honest.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Fair play to everyone who braved the conditions today too, I’d be interested to hear how it compared to Gillingham last season?

Not even close. There was only one five minute heavy shower, which case during halftime. The wind was very strong but otherwise it was fine.

Thank goodness too because the game was dire.

• Windy conditions make for the worst games. This had nil nil written all over it

• Nowhere near Gillingham conditions. Gillingham last year makes today’s game look like a two week all inclusive in a 5 star Dubai resort.

• Fairly poor game in terms of quality football, but it was always going to be like that with the windy conditions. Could (should?) have been 1-1. Bayo played well today - winning it and holding it up almost every time, but I would like to see us avoiding the temptation to ‘go long’ almost every time we’re in possession. Stewart very solid again today - if he keeps injury free, he could be in for a mega season.
    We started to play better quality football the moment Freeman came he - he must be given more game time!!!
    PS - just because we have a new away kit, we must avoid the temptation to start singing Oxford Utd songs (‘yellows, yellows.’) Ugggh.

• edited August 2019

We were a solid league 1 outfit today. A couple of loose passes (eg. Stewart to Alsop) and quite how Grimmer did not score when the ball broke for him after a surging run from Bayo (?!) is beyond me. Seemed so sure of scoring as long as he got it on target that he hit it softly into the crowded left side of goal with the empty right side gaping!

Putting those away we will have a great chance to finish higher than most give us a chance to imo.

• Excluding Bury, we're one of the seven EFL teams yet to concede a goal - although MK Dons have only played the one game. First time we've started with consecutive clean sheets since 2015, first time in this division since 2000. Solid going in two games which were difficult for different reasons.

• Especially when we have added a raft of attacking players, aren't fielding Thompson, and arguably - no disrespect to Grimmer, have slightly weakened the defence.

Early days though!

• Thanks for the kind messages........ 2 clean sheets in a row and as its been pointed out already Coventry didn't beat Bolton today!! Up the blues

• Whisper It, but Allsop has been decent so far, albeit without a massive amount to do.

• @Shev said:
    Whisper It, but Allsop has been decent so far, albeit without a massive amount to do.

But why the feigned injury a few mins into second half? Can only assume he’s told to do it but it really is embarrassing.

• Nah, I give him the benefit of the doubt. If a player goes under him and he falls awkwardly he should get a little sponge bath

• Hi @NorsQuarters but every game?!

• I don't like it, but if the lad keeps a clean sheet every game, I will happily go get a cuppa while I wait for him to finish rolling around like a puppy.

• @TheOldMan said:
    Bayo played well today - winning it and holding it up almost every time, but I would like to see us avoiding the temptation to ‘go long’ almost every time we’re in possession.

Totally agree about Bayo, he was great, particularly towards the end of the game but the games were had without him last season it was nice that it did seem to encourage us to play a bit more.

It might be due to my poor view of the game but I felt it was fairly physical and didn't suit Smyth all that much. We didn't put in the right sort of balls to make the most of his pace. When Samuel came on I thought he was excellent. I really enjoy watching his tenacious and energetic play. Wins balls he has no right to win. I hope he still gets game time despite the wealth of attackers.

• Bringing on Samuel and Freeman opened the game up for. Pity it was left until so late on

• Samuel strikes me as a chap willing to take on any challenge. I bet he will see significant minutes this season through sheer force of will and effort.

• think 'Kick off 2' with wind on strong setting

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agreed with all of that @fame_46

I understanding bringing him on centrally but he would be behind David Wheeler, Fred Onyedinma, Scott Kashket, Paul Smyth and Josh Parker out wide. Poor old Craig Mackail-Smith really doesn't stand a chance of game time at the moment.

• Craig will leave before the deadline.

• I think Samuel putting pressure on defenders late on creates chances for those who at the moment are more likely score. Also, let's not forget Beavon who couldn't hit a cows a** with a banjo for his first 18 months with us, then went on to smash in over 20 goals in a relegation season.

• I was going to say exactly the same thing, comparing Samuel with Beavon... I'm sure in time he does have the regular goals in him that his work rate deserves, I hope so anyway as I really like having him about the team and I hope he doesn't miss out on too much game time this season

• He must have something about him for GA to favour him ahead of a proven lower league goalscorer like CMS.

• I am not sure that CMS can still be described as a regular goal scorer now @floyd. 14 in 78 games in the last two years, mostly in League 2 demonstrates, like all of us, that time eventually catches up with you.

• True @mooneyman, their strikerates are about the same, and of course Samuel has age on his side. The only difference for me is that CMS has had success at this level, whereas as Samuel only has potential.

None of this should be taken as a knock on Alex and I’m very happy to trust GA’s judgement over my own.