Skip to content

Another example of the future of lower league clubs?

2»

Comments

• Coupla cracking numbers there @Chris .
    Thanks @Malone (too young to remember Hutch’s commentaries perhaps) Please don’t complicate things @Twizz ! @fezziwig has hit the nail on the head (which probably hasn’t done his tonsure a lot of good).

• @micra , oh I remember it too well unfortunately.
    It was usually a game of guess how many minutes will pass before he actually lets you know the score.

• There was a young ‘keeper with a big face and a strong northern accent who used to chip in with the odd comment and was very fond of the expression (new to me at the time) of “early doors”.

• Westhead?
    Early doors along with late doors are absolute classics.
    Another variant I love is early knockings.

• Thanks @Malone . That’s the guy. Mark Westhead. He’s 43 now and is currently goalkeeping coach in the Blackpool youth set-up. Same round rosy cheeked face! The most appearances he made in his playing career were the 46 for Stevenage over two seasons after he left Wycombe. He made 4 appearances for us in the three seasons he was here at the turn of the century.

• His mum and dad ran a guest house in Blackpool.

• Extraordinary to think we used to have three senior keepers in the squad, Taylor, Westhead and Osbourne. And then in Taylor and Talia two first choice keepers at the same time.

• And the days we actually had enough players to have a proper reserve team!

• The Premier League and everything associated with it has an awful lot to answer for @Malone. The structure of the professional football world is horribly obscenely skewed. It’s very sad and people like me with our Sky packages don’t help. Paradoxically of course, we would be helping if the structure and financial distribution arrangements were less skewed.