Skip to content

Trust agree deal (in principle) with Major new Shareholder Rob Couhig

Comments

• Not long ago I went to Torquay away thinking I might be saying goodbye to Wycombe Wanderers due to the actions of our previous 'investor'. Now so many of you are keen to start exactly the same journey again. It's incredibly depressing. Don't believe the propaganda, a fan owned club can easily stay in the football league. Fan owned and proud.

• edited July 2019

@Uncle_T said:
    Members will also have the opportunity to send questions for the panel in advance to [email protected]

Do we know if ALL questions submitted to the panel will be asked or not?

• I guess that depends partly on how many there are

• I sent in three questions
    1) is there an academy set up in the future plans?
    2) What % of the shares are the investors getting.
    3) Are there any plans to buy back the training ground?

• Not in League 1 it can't, and the dynamic is changing so much that I doubt that it will in League 2 either ......

I understand that its a minority share so not a lot of damage can be done but also not much money will be put in I doubt as he won't have much say.

@Cambridge_Blue said:
    Not long ago I went to Torquay away thinking I might be saying goodbye to Wycombe Wanderers due to the actions of our previous 'investor'. Now so many of you are keen to start exactly the same journey again. It's incredibly depressing. Don't believe the propaganda, a fan owned club can easily stay in the football league. Fan owned and proud.

• What have you done with the real @rmjlondon ?

• Well we've just stayed in League One as a fan owned club so that's clearly a load of rubbish. And last season we got promoted from League Two as a fan owned club.

• I admire your principles but I’m not sure you realise the full extent of our problems. We are seriously in debt and Gareth was forced to release players he would like to have kept and has so far been unable to replace them. His budget has been cut by around a third and we face having the lowest wage bill in the division.

Fan owned and proud is a lovely slogan, but in the real world you need hard cash.

• @glasshalffull - In the real world you only spend what you can afford, not build up debts which you can't repay. I accept other clubs spend money recklessly, but do we HAVE to do this?

• Mooneyman, we may be paying for mistakes that were made in the past but hindsight won’t pay the bills. We’re in debt and we need to address that urgently.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Mooneyman, we may be paying for mistakes that were made in the past but hindsight won’t pay the bills. We’re in debt and we need to address that urgently.

We won't solve that by taking on even more debt Mr Parry. When your in a hole, its suicidal to keep digging.

• Fan owned with someone who just owns a little bit would be okay...

• edited July 2019

No thanks. This American chap will be buying a stake for a reason and we will never be able to know what is in his head. Better to play it safe and have every penny that comes into the club spent for the good of the club. It concerns me that the people who run our club are claiming that our considerable turnover cannot sustain a football league place (or that we won't be 'competitive', whatever that means). Rubbish. Perhaps we need some new faces in charge.

• @mooneyman said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Mooneyman, we may be paying for mistakes that were made in the past but hindsight won’t pay the bills. We’re in debt and we need to address that urgently.

We won't solve that by taking on even more debt Mr Parry. When your in a hole, its suicidal

There’s a parallel here with the approach to debt of our political parties. The Conservatives believe that you should stop spending-the much maligned austerity- whilst Labour think that spending more will eventually generate greater income. Whichever of those methods you favour, you still have to pay off your debts.

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    No thanks. This American chap will be buying a stake for a reason and we will never be able to know what is in his head. Better to play it safe and have every penny that comes into the club spent for the good of the club. It concerns me that the people who run our club are claiming that our considerable turnover cannot sustain a football league place (or that we won't be 'competitive', whatever that means). Rubbish. Perhaps we need some new faces in charge.

Perhaps you should put yourself forward as you seem to have found a magic formula that none of the people ‘who run our club’ have discovered. There’s a difference between turnover and making a profit or loss.

• I think the disappointing response to the latest 500 Club appeal (about 5% of the home fanbase have chipped in, I think, with membership costing the equivalent of 5 pints a month - alright 6 pints oop nawth) is an indication of why fan ownership is not viable.

@Cambridge_Blue points to success on the pitch, albeit surviving by the skin of our teeth in League 1 last season thanks to the points cushion built up before Christmas with the not inconsiderable help of several high quality loanees, the like of which we were unable to afford for the second half of the season.

I speak as someone who was as cynical as @Cambridge_Blue when hints of the need for outside investment were first dropped. The earliest reference I can recall was by Trevor Stroud in an article in the matchday programme the season before last. But I recognise now the hard truth that fans alone are not going to sustain us financially at the level to which most of us aspire - which I take to be where we are now but with a realistic prospect of a foray or two into nosebleed territory.

• Micra, as ever, speaks words of wisdom.

• @glasshalffull said:

@mooneyman said:

@glasshalffull said:

We won't solve that by taking on even more debt Mr Parry. When your in a hole, its suicidal

There’s a parallel here with the approach to debt of our political parties. The Conservatives believe that you should stop spending-the much maligned austerity- whilst Labour think that spending more will eventually generate greater income. Whichever of those methods you favour, you still have to pay off your debts.

Borrowing and debt have increased massively under the Tory govt

• So austerity is just a myth? You’d better tell that to the Labour Party as they never stop moaning about it.

• Livipudlian Tories, not many of them about. Tarby,
    Edwina Currie and Mr Parry.
    What an honourable flock of bodies

• Ffs fan owned will only work if the fan owner chips in with a minimum £1k a year. That’s what owning a football club means, having to pay ya way, if you can’t pay. Then find some one who is prepared to and that’s what the club have done. Yes it’s been romantic being fan owned but not practical at the end of the day

• @ChasHarps said:
    Livipudlian Tories, not many of them about. Tarby,
    Edwina Currie and Mr Parry.
    What an honourable flock of bodies

If I’m on the opposite side of the fence to you I’m delighted.

• Football comes above politics though eh, like you were telling us the other day.

Presumably you'd be fine with Derek Hatton becoming owner of our football club

• I detest Derek Hatton.

• @glasshalffull said:
    So austerity is just a myth? You’d better tell that to the Labour Party as they never stop moaning about it.

I’m going to be charitable, because an a macro level debt, deficit and spending can be pretty hard to wrap your head around. Austerity is nothing to to with the level of borrowing, austerity is about the level of spending. The reason they tell us it’s needed, is because the amount we are borrowing, the national debt and the deficit are all increasing at terrifying levels under the tories. See here: https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_chart.html

Of course, that borrowing would not be necessary if we weren’t using it to bribe the DUP and bail out half of industry because we shot ourselves in the foot with brexit.

Happy to answer any more questions you might have about it Alan.

• You must of been really proud when the papers were released that a 'managed decline' of your beloved city of Liverpool was high on the agenda of Thatchers government.

• I think this debate is going unhelpfully off topic.

Personally I don’t buy the assumption that a supporter owned club is intrinsically unsustainable. Particularly given that AFC Wimbledon and Exeter City manage it and intend to continue doing so in the long term.

Is there not an alternative to selling out which is making a long term commitment to being fan owned in a way I don’t particularly see at the minute?

After all, all our great successes in the modern era have been when we were either member owned or fan owned while our period in private ownership was a period of relative underachievement.

• Mr Glassful can't say a word without a flock of vultures feasting upon him!

It makes Dev look well received!

• @Cambridge_Blue said:

Lovely sentiments, and if only we could survive this way.

We've already trimmed our squad to minimal numbers, and while some fans like to contest the "Punching above our weight" idea, it's pretty undeniable in league 1.

We're constantly having to beg our fans for money as well, and we've a manager who seems to maximise what we do have.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I detest Derek Hatton.

But you'd be fine with him owning Wycombe, going on what you had to say earlier in this thread?