Skip to content

Crisps

I'm going to state a controversial opinion, but I believe corn / maize based crisps to be far superior to potato based crisps. Not sure a potato based crisp would even make it into my top ten to rank alongside the likes of Nice & Spicy Nik-Naks, Cheese Doritos, Frazzles, Wotsits or Scampi flavoured fries.

Comments

• I spoke too soon.

• Crispgate to commence in 3...2...1....

• I shouldn’t have posted my in-depth research findings on the Andy Holt thread. Consumers may be denied the benefit of my recommendations.

• I'm with the good Doctor here. Maize all the way.

• Bacon Wheat Crunchies

• As an unaccompanied snack the good Doctor’s view has merit (I’d echo Spicy Nik-Naks).

However, alongside a good pint of Black Sheep, for example, there is nothing to beat the simplicity, texture and taste of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps.

• Red Doritos are the best.

• Twiglets. That is all.

• edited May 2019

Marmite crisps for me!(Not keen on Marmite but love the crisp flavour)

• I can see this is going to split Wycombe fans' opinions even more than Paris Cowan Hall, the drummer and whether to go to MK Dons next season, but I'm very much on the potato side - and Walker's 'normal' crisps every time, rather than all those vile, over-flavoured delux/elite/premier varieties. Twiglets too, though the first one is always the best, after which you're just chasing that initial high.

Surprised you didn't include Monster Munch, @drcongo - surely the prince of maize-based snacks (pickled onion flavour, obviously).

• I'm unsure of their maize content, but I always rated a Scampi Fry, the snack which surely epitomised the 90s.

• @Chris said:
    Red Doritos are the best.

Most I've ever disagreed with a comment on the Gasroom

Should be a lifetime ban for this sort of thing

• An absolutely abysmal choice of crisps from almost all concerned.

I see no mention of Disco's and/or McCoy's Salt and Vinegar, Skips, Monster Munch, or Walkers Thai Sweet Chili.

You're a bunch of amateurs.

• Frazzles are amazing but nothing tops the Mini Cheddar.

It’s the king and queen of snacks - I’ve no idea if it’s maize based, potato based, cheese based or a three way hybrid. Whatever, it’s awesome.

• Just to throw the cat in what about the newer categories of Hummus, Quinoa or Lentil crisps that are delicious but can they be called a crisp as are really just a healthy quaver is a quaver a crisp by definition ?

• christ I can't wait for the season to start

• Tayto (RoI version rather than the NI one) is the God Emperor of crisps. I also believe it to be the only crisp with its own theme park.

• Quavers taste like a smeggy version of those S-shaped polystyrene things you get in packaged boxes.

• Cheese and Onion potato crisps all day long. Has to be cheese and onion anything else is just perverse.

• Brannigans roast beef and mustard potato crisps- best ever

• Yes wild west!! Agree 100%

• Brannigans were/are(?) exceptional - hardly ever see them these days

McCoys are very good

My favourites are squares though, all flavours. Perfect on their own or to add to a sandwich in a packed lunch (very few sandwiches are not enhanced by the addition of crisps)

• @crabbie said:
    Just to throw the cat in what about the newer categories of Hummus, Quinoa or Lentil crisps that are delicious but can they be called a crisp as are really just a healthy quaver is a quaver a crisp by definition ?

get out and never come back

• @WildWestFC said:
    Brannigans roast beef and mustard potato crisps- best ever

Was on the verge of posting something very similar until I read this. Every other dried snack is vying for second place.

• Morrisons’ Steak, Ale and Caramelised Onion Ridge Cut (Hand Cooked??) in a League of their own.

• Directors Cut Chili Twists OR Bacon Rashers...

• In Italy they only have ready salted crisps.

• @WildWestFC said:
    Brannigans roast beef and mustard potato crisps- best ever

The smoked ham and pickle version was amazing too.

• Lamb and mint.

• It was the old favourite back in the Wendover Arms in the 90s.

A pint of Brakspears, a packet of beef and mustard and a cherry brandy chaser.

Actually, hold the cherry brandy please.