Skip to content

Accrington beat Doncaster

Comments

• Posted this on wrong thread so apologies for deja vu:

Gareth said he does not want to depend on others to stay up...so hopefully the boys will be on fire...although I've predicted a 0 - 0...goals for Bayo and Journeyman Gape would be nice.

• If I have got it right,

Wyc stay up if
    1) we get one more point (ignoring ridiculously big scorelines

OR (if we lose the last two), if

a) Wimbledon fail to win their last game at Bradford

or

b) southend fail to win at either Rochdale (a) or sunderland (h)

or

c) either Plymouth fail to win at Accy and at home to Scunthorpe or Scunthorpe fail to win at home to Bradford and at Plymouth

66-1 odds feel about right.

• Project FiveThirtEight have us down at 2% to be relegated:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/

• If Sunderland still have something to play for...I would imagine Southend would want to be safe before the last day!!

• The post that struck terror into me following Monday’s game was the one that referred to Bayo hobbling through the car park, Sido on crutches and GA saying that Freeman and Gape had been playing through the pain barrier. Wimbledon are a tough enough side (especially for us, it seems) without two or three of that quartet being unavailable. Let’s hope the words “precautionary” and “minor knocks” apply there. Having said that, Stewart, Bloomfield and PCH would be more than adequate replacements, albeit not quite as charismatic. I’m not naturally pessimistic but I do get anxious and I can imagine having to avoid losing to a Fleetwood side with nothing to play for other than pride. They surely won’t be as fired up as we may need to be.

PS I can imagine that Bayo normally hobbles a bit after playing a gruelling 100 minutes!

• 50 points andlur goal difference is enough, in my opinion

I think we'll draw on Saturday anyway

• @bookertease said:
    Who else can see us dipping below the line for the first time at 19.30 (5th minute of injury time) on the last day?

My feeling after the game Monday that 50 points was enough has gone now.

I go back and forth between '50 points is always enough and it would take an unlikely set of results for us to go down,' and 'if anyone can get relegated like that, it's us.'

We'll be fine.

• Had the radio on low last night coming home and I am sure I heard a report from Luton saying Wimbledon's second goalscorer had been sent off for a 2nd yellow. Can't see it on the BBC match report though.
    Did it happen as some talking head was getting quite annoyed about it.

• @micra said:
    The post that struck terror into me following Monday’s game was the one that referred to Bayo hobbling through the car park, Sido on crutches and GA saying that Freeman and Gape had been playing through the pain barrier. Wimbledon are a tough enough side (especially for us, it seems) without two or three of that quartet being unavailable. Let’s hope the words “precautionary” and “minor knocks” apply there. Having said that, Stewart, Bloomfield and PCH would be more than adequate replacements, albeit not quite as charismatic. I’m not naturally pessimistic but I do get anxious and I can imagine having to avoid losing to a Fleetwood side with nothing to play for other than pride. They surely won’t be as fired up as we may need to be.

PS I can imagine that Bayo normally hobbles a bit after playing a gruelling 100 minutes!

A midfield of Thompson, Bean and Bloomfield behind Paris, Samuel and Tyson, with Stewart in for Sido might not be such a bad thing for what will be a bit of a battle, if Bayo, Freeman and Gape can't be risked. Maybe lacking a bit in attacking creativity, can't see it being much of a match for flair players.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Had the radio on low last night coming home and I am sure I heard a report from Luton saying Wimbledon's second goalscorer had been sent off for a 2nd yellow. Can't see it on the BBC match report though.
    Did it happen as some talking head was getting quite annoyed about it.

there is a suggestion they went down to 10 men and their manager refers to it but like you I cannot see anything official

see link https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2019/april/wally-praises-reaction-to-his-half-time-team-talk/

• I cannot find any mention of a red card...sadly.

• I have had a quick glance through their fans forum and they don't seem to be sure either. Think it might be Seddon for his last minute goal celebration but nobody seems clear on it..time will tell.

• Certainly on SSN it stated Seddon was sent off for a 2nd booking, but like everyone else I've seen no reference to it since, even in match reports, so I assume it was an error?

• The FA discipline web page doesn't list any Wimbledon players as suspended currently.

• Here's hoping their 'keeper doesn't have any more tricks like this up his sleeve
  • @Malone said:
    Beat Wimbledon, stay up gloriously, and put them down as a punishment for all their goon fans, and general horrible demeanour.
    Plus not having to go to their dreadful ground which has the worst view bar none in the football league.

People talk about Luton, but if you're under 6ft at Wimbledon, and don't get there by 1.30 you'll struggle!

That is why I can't bring myself to go on Saturday. If I go, then automatically so does my young lad. Even at 5'-10" I can only see the far side and a bit of both penalty boxes. If you get there super early and get a spot right on the wall, the dug outs obscure the view of half the pitch. Absolutely no viewing pleasure, half a day gone and circa £60 with fuel & food, never seen us win there, add up to a non attendance for me. Added to which SWMBO is a difficult one to justify all those negatives to. I will listen to @bluntphil narrating the story of a beautiful 2-1 victory and another season in league 1.

• Incidentally I’ve thought of another way we could stay up even losing next two. If Southend win one and lose one scoring same goals but us conceding one more (say 1-0 and 0-2 and Wyc lose 1-2 and 0-1), then we are level with them on points, goal difference and goals scored and head to head points. We win though 4-3 on head to head goals.

• All these permutations make me nervous more than anything. It seems there are a million combinations for safety, and only one or two cruel ways to go down.

That being said...still confident for Saturday!

• It was Wordsworth who was booked for jumping into the crowd after AFC equaliser. No 2nd yellow for goalscorer Seddon unfortunately.

• Fleetwood, however, had a young midfielder ‘straight-redded’ (sorry @micra) on Monday, and so I believe he will miss their last 3 games. They had a mini midfield injury crisis even before this, and to add to their late season workload, have a not exactly run-of-the-mill home game with Sunderland on the Tuesday before the final Sat. All food for thought...

• Nowt wrong with that @LeedsBlue !

• I have a solution to our financial problems. All legacy members bung £50 on us to get relegated and we throw our last two games, bribe Luke 5% of the projected winnings to score a couple of own goals and by my reckoning we can pay back the Americans and have a budget of £1.34 million pounds to get us promoted next year with enough money left over to buy all season ticket holders a bag of cheese and onion crisps at every league game next year.

• If we lose both and still stay up we’d be in trouble.

• Damn. And I had that down on my application for Governor of the Bank of England

• You're overqualified for that job @bookertease.??

• edited April 2019

@DevC I'm not sure your option 'c' above is correct, as presented - for example, Plymouth failing to to win their last two matches, on its own, would not guarantee our survival (likewise Scunthorpe).

Plymouth must do no more than draw both, or win one, lose one. this would be max 50 pts, worse GD, and thus below us, alongside Walsall and Bradford. So for us to stay up (assuming the worst case scenarios in the rest of your list of options), if it's the Scunthorpe game that Plymouth lose, then Scunthorpe need to have failed to beat Bradford. If the Plymouth/Scunthorpe game is a draw, after Plymouth have failed to beat Accy, we stay up. If Plymouth win the Scunthorpe game, having lost v Accy, then we stay up.

• @bookertease 23 bags of crisps wholesale can only be about a tenner, put the prices up accordingly, people won't notice and will look forward to even the grimmest fixtures, who doesn't like free crisps? No cost to catering if you are "giving it away" pre-packed. Will be in the championship before the decade is out. Add a beer and it could be champions league.

• Ok, how about this.

1) We pick up some teenage striker (who no-one's heard of) who's been released by a decent foreign club, say Ajax, and give him a long contract. Can be perfectly average as a player, but ideally should be be quick and have a few tricks.

2) GA and a couple of players give interviews raving about how good he is. Wycombe fans go nuts about him on social media.

3) WW release social media footage of him dribbling past six players and scoring a worldie in training (set up and requiring as many takes as necessary to get right.)

4) Play him in a few pre-season games against low-ranked opposition, instructing the team to try and set him up wherever possible. Again goal footage is shared online.

5) Once the season starts, have him on the bench and always bring him on with 20-15 minutes left. Again, team under instruction to try and set him up.

6) Everyone bangs on about him to press/on social media as if he's the new Messi.

7) Top clubs panic that 'other' top club will sign him, sparking a bidding war. We reject bids of under £3m as 'derisory'. Eventually sell him for £5m. Everyone gets crisps.

What could go wrong?

• In fact, it's possible this was exactly what we were doing with Max Muller, but to make it work it has to be a striker, as they're more exciting.

• Unfortunately the top clubs will already know all about him. They will have a file of match reports from every time he's played for Ajax since the age of nine. Their Dutch scout will confirm that he's nowhere near their standard. They will send a local scout to watch him just to be sure. The scout will leave the match with 20-15 minutes remaining to 'beat the traffic' and not see him play. The scout will request not to be sent back to Adams Park as the catering there is so poor and they didn't even provide him with a voucher for a free bag of crisps.