Skip to content

Our terrible pitch

Has anyone got any Idea just what is going to happen to our pitch this summer. It's in such a shocking state, and I feel sorry for the players having to try and play football on it.

Comments

• Exeter didn't seem to have any bother in the 2nd half only a few days ago?

• It's the bounce that amazes me. it must have a trampoline bedded underneath it.

• Same for both sides, keeping the ball on the deck would help?

• The woodlands side is almost unplayable at times - ball bobbling all over the shop. Think they cocked it up over the summer so hopefully this pre season we can get it right.

• Don't think we can afford to do anything with the pitch pre season other than some TLC. I recall AH said at the fans forum (or trust meet) that to replace with bog standard turf would be £150K and that's the cheapest option. Another Desso would be upwards of half a mil..We just don't have the money to do anything about it.

• No one ever points out that footballs are so much lighter than they used to be. No wonder that it bounces higher and can be kicked further.

• Incorrect, the balls weight has to be between 14 and 16 oz at the commence of a game. This is measured in dry conditions and has been the same law for many many years.
    In the past in wet conditions previous balls could become heavier than present due to
    different materials used .

• I don't buy it this home and away form is down to our pitch. How come the away side seem to do ok on it? My personal view is the shear bad luck and players decision making. Yesterday their goal was initially blocked and due to bad luck Mr Bean who usually scoops up loose balls was unfortunately playing right back. Thus we didn't get close enough to prevent the free kick taker having another opportunity to cross it again. Our intensity style is going to waver at the latter stages of our campaign (Firmer conditions and injuries) with the lose of Pierre we were going to struggle at corners and set pieces. Just hope we get some good luck in the play offs. But as for the pitch, well we got not cash for anything else, so nothing going to change there.

• The basic problem is the desso pitch. Even if you walk on it at the start of the season it's like grass growing up through concrete - hence the ridiculous bounce of the ball. Returning to a normal pitch would be preferable. However, I'm sure it would also be easier for our players to play on Maidstone United's 3G pitch than Adams Park. Anything' better than what we have now!

• Additional unbudgeted play off match now likely ngenerating revenue of 7000*20 = c £140k. Presumably home club keeps all. Does this fund a replacement pitch

• Not all that 140k is matchday profit though.

• Wouldn't it be nice to think it would all come to us. But nothing in life is easy and that seems especially true of the financial arrangements for the playoffs:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/playoffrules.aspx

Looks like a huge slice - almost 50 per cent - of the net proceeds goes to the "Pool Account" which as far as I can tell effectively covers the annual payment to all league clubs for TV and sponsorship rights. Interestingly it looks as if all four clubs in the semis share "their share" equally.

• Presumably this is remove any possible incentives that could make finishing in the playoffs more desirable than automatic promotion.

• Unlike DevC to post entirely unresearched guesswork as fact

• Mr Plant doesnt seem to like me very much it seems. I think I'll cope.

Thanks for posting those details, Wig and Pen. Interesting stuff which came as a surprise to me at least (which is why I said presumably in post above, Mr Plant) . You would have thought that assuming the four play off teams remain the same, Plymouth are likely to comfortably outsell the other three for their home match. Interesting that we benefit a bit from that too.

More significantly Plymouth would expect to take c 30000 supporters to Wembley, Bury perhaps more like 10000. Tickets last year averaged around £40 per head. Assuming ground rental and ancillary costs are largely not affected by attendance, suggests that
    the difference in revenue between Plymouth and Bury being opponents in the final if we got there could be around £200k (30000-10000.25£40).

Still got to beat (presumably) Stevenage first. If we do, then come on you greens!

• "Still got to beat (presumably) Stevenage first. If we do, then come on you greens!"
    So if we got to Wembley, your supporting Plymouth ?
    Are you having a Cameron brain fade ? And wasn't yellow the colour of your former love ?

• No ChasHarps (or is it CHe for short), I was just referring to the semifinals and that assuming Plymouth play Bury, i will be hoping Plymouth win a) because if we beat Stevenage it would appear likely to result in a substantial financial windfall to the club b) I would rather enjoy the craic of a 200 mile journey each way surrounded by 30000 or so opposition supporters. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge before Wembley yet.

• I may be thick but I don't understand b). Whatever means of transport do you have in mind to accommodate 30000 passengers to surround you on, presumably, your own journey? Incidentally, I am 99% sure that ChasHarps is not the former Che!

• Is today "take everything literally day". If Argyle get to Wembley, I dare say their support will get there by a range of transport, bus, train, tube, maybe a few by plane. Some may live close enough to walk or bike , who knows. But given that the kickoff time is such that it will not be possible to return by train that night (unless special trains are laid on) most (at least of those that still live in Devon/Cornwall) will travel m5/m4, I expect.

I have no inside knowledge of Mr Che whereabouts but "ChasHarps" and "Attitudeera" both have a very similar posting style. Perhaps one or other is the man himself. Only way to find out I suppose is to check whether either still thinks that Sido Jombati is a "terrible signing" or indeed "knows all about Ephraim" and believes that Ephraim will "certainly be the best signing (of 14/15) of all". I hope he is OK in life anyway.

• Trying to get this back off topic and away from DevC's political approach of changing the subject and pronouncing stats as facts.

Our pitch is a disgrace and is almost unfit for purpose. The argument that it's the same for both sides is nearer the truth than I first thought. The pitch levels the game out. It negates mire skilful players and this season we have some great talent. Those that shout' play it on the floor' have presumably never had a kick about on a car park or a gravel patch. Every bobble lifts the ball up the boot and every bounce takes an age to come down.

The pitch has been get better. I'm sure it tires or injures the players and it produces some horrible games. It has to be a priority, no matter where the money comes from

• I agree, it HAS to be a priority, I am fed up watching the players, on both sides, trying to control the ball. The woeful surface makes for rubbish football I'm afraid.

• How bout some kind of pitch fund. We have around 3000 hardcore fans, £50 each to 'buy' a new pitch would give us 150k donation. I am certain many would be willing to help out physically laying the turf over the Summer to cut costs etc if it was needed. Forget the under soil heating, dessy etc, just a standard turf pitch.....

• From watching recent home games the pitch looks bobbly as hell & I know the players aren't too complementary of it either. I recall Woody trying to dribble the ball at pace down the left flank in the first half on Saturday & the ball kicked up 3/4 times, you could see he was struggling because of the pitch.

I don't know why we don't water the pitch close to kickoff & half time (when we've had a dry spell) so that the players have a bit more confidence in the bounce/run of the ball.

• Quarterman - we won't launch a pitch fund, when we already have a WW Trust Community Share Offer Scheme going which allows any fan to invest what they can afford, in order to help the club build stability and move forward. There is much to be done (including improving the pitch) and we invite all supporters to contribute http://www.wycombewandererstrust.com/2015/04/ww-trust-community-share-offer

• I thought that the proceeds of the share scheme were intended to be used for improving the stadium. Bearing in mind the main purpose of the club is to play football, surely the relaying of the pitch HAS to be at the top of the list. Any workman needs a good set of tools to complete a professional job.

• My understanding is that the pitch is a priority and that it will be dug up and relaid during the summer. The initial take-up of shares has been encouraging but it would be great if more people could be encouraged to chip in.

• whilst I totally agree that the pitch has to be sorted I thought the league had demanded that we bring our floodlights up to standard and this has to be first on the list?

• @micra - my season ticket has gone up £50 odd quid next year whereas others have seen a decrease.... I certainly won't be "chipping in" extra whilst the club takes these unfair pricing decisions....

• Which block do you sit in - Beaconsfield Blue?

• Whose season tickets have seen a decrease?