Skip to content

New revenue streams

Comments

• According to another thread I am a "Guzzler" how about Adnams Brewery sponsoring the ground, always use a silent N.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Shev 'Everything I do....I do it for Blues...'

I am glad no-one told Bryan about the song competition!

• The all week sports bar was a nice idea, but in reality an absolute dead duck.

I can't imagine everyone driving home after a Wycombe game limits themselves to what is probably a 1 pint limit as it is, so inviting an evening booze up so far out of town probably isn't ideal.

• When I was on the board I suggested that we showed televised games at the Centre Spot (as it was called then) and provided a free bus service to pick up and drop off at various points around the town. Sadly, the idea never got off the ground.

• Good idea @glasshalffull , I suppose quite an ask to pull off.

The glory days were when we had about 5 or 6 routes taking people to the ground. Really spoilt in those days.
    Grateful there's still some sort of service from centralised points, but you really couldn't beat those days, when the service now can take much longer to get you to one of the pick up points, then the one you used to be able to take almost to your door!

• Sadly we continue to pay the price for the then local authority’s stubborn refusal to allow the club to relocate at several sites infinitely more suitable than Hillbottom Road.

• That's the Tories for you

• Not sure any political party has a great record when it comes to football.

• Cos Labour are so great ! ?‍♂️

• Not long now

• @glasshalffull said:
    Sadly we continue to pay the price for the then local authority’s stubborn refusal to allow the club to relocate at several sites infinitely more suitable than Hillbottom Road.

Any more info on this? Bit before my time but would be interested to know where was suggested and wether it was just football haters against the idea. Should have done a Barnet and pretended we were building a leisure centre.

• If memory serves me correctly (and with advance apologies to Mr.Harps if I’m wrong), having agreed to sell Loakes Park to the NHS, the club identified several potential sites for a new ground. I believe there were at least half a dozen sites (including, I understand, Handy Cross next to the motorway) that were rejected before Hillbottom Road was identified and even that had to go to appeal at the Department of Environment before it was approved.
    In my opinion, local authorities of all political persuasions have never done much to actually support the club despite the goodwill and high profile that WWFC has brought to the town.

• Was Terriers one of the site or have I imagined that?

• The council were all over the Booker scheme, clearly seduced by the idea of it being some sort of "sports hub" for the community.
    If Wycombe had proposed it without Wasps being involved, I dare say it'd have not made meeting 2.

• Terriers was indeed a serious proposal. It was a fair way down pretty narrow twisty roads once you get past the old Wellesboune school site with very limited street parking. Not sure it would have coped with league football tbh

• But certain Tory Councillors did receive gifts and invites from Mr Party's old pal Sharky Hayes, before his attempted land grab coup failed.

• @DevC said:
    Terriers was indeed a serious proposal. It was a fair way down pretty narrow twisty roads once you get past the old Wellesboune school site with very limited street parking. Not sure it would have coped with league football tbh

That's right, Four Ashes

Have to agree, that was not a suitable site at all

• I remember visiting Adams Park as a building site expecting the worst. It was built as a 6000 capacity and I’d not long ago been to Aylesbury Uniteds new ground which was 8000+ I think and just a couple of steps of terracing at the sides (did I dream it or did they get over 8000 in there for an England game?). Even with just the bare terracing it was clear that Brian Lee had done a brilliant job in building a stadium fit for a great non-league side

• I don't think I've ever walked out of Adams Park not thinking, how did they think bundling this stadium at the end of an industrial estate with one exit was a good idea.

Every single week you still see people trying to drive right up to the entrance, despite 1,000s of people streaming out.
    Often with some bloody massive foreign lorries blocking one side of the road on double yellow lines.

• Mr Party sounds fun.

• Didn't some "wag" post as Alan Party for a while?

• @bookertease according to Wikipedia, 6,031 saw England beat Aylesbury 7-0 in June 1988. That was their record attendance at Buckingham Road, but their best ever was 7,440 for a 1-0 defeat to Watford in the FA Cup First Round at Turfurlong Lane in 1951.

• Are they showing the grand national after the game in the vere?

• @Malone said:
    Didn't some "wag" post as Alan Party for a while?

I remember Stan Ovation, was he not from Hemel ?

• To be fair to Labour, we don’t know if they’d have been useless for the Wanderers as Wycombe never ceases to return Tory politicians in their droves.

• Re The Four Ashes site. It's interesting to note that they will be building a large housing development on and adjacent to that site in the near future.
    This also applies to the area at the top of Abbey Barn Lane extending towards the Daws Hill development on the old army base.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Malone said:
    Didn't some "wag" post as Alan Party for a while?

I remember Stan Ovation, was he not from Hemel ?

I’m sure you’ll think of a different ‘joke’ one day but I’m not holding my breath.

• If you admit you lied about the standing ovation then I’ll delete any future posts @chasharps makes about it.

• @Malone said:
    Often with some bloody massive foreign lorries blocking one side of the road on double yellow lines.

Bloody foreign lorries. Coming over here, blocking our roads.

• Whereabouts was yesterday’s blockage?
    I parked just outside the main gates yesterday (rather than the usual Roofline car park). When we did eventually get moving (about 5.30) I noticed that the Roofline car park was empty which suggested that the blockage must have been between Roofline and the main gates, yet nothing had seemed to be moving between Roofline and the Lane End Road roundabout. We couldn’t fathom it out.